Groups

Interview Clothes

It's been years since I had an interview... and I was wondering what kind of stuff I should wear? I know you should really wear a suit, but I sweat buckets with anxiety and not sure that'd be the best idea! Also, any tips on trousers? I'm bored of standard trousers. Thanks

19 Comments

In the middle of summer I doubt anyone would mark you down for attending an interview in smart pants, shirt and tie. As long as you look smart and fit in with their business dress you'll be fine without a jacket. Just remember most other interviewee's will be just as nervous if not more. Good way to look at it is worst case scenario is nothing in your life changes, you spend an hour or so chatting with people and learn some interview techiques. Best case scenario is you get the job.

Good luck.

Depends,

1- The business you're interviewing for
    Investment banking, bank, property management etc. you will definitely need to wear a suit else you'd look out of place.

Just a rule of thumb just dress one level up, example - if employees have a casual dress code (t-shirt and jeans), you can wear smart trousers and shirts, if its smart casual, wear a suit or if you don't have a suit just wear smart trousers and shirt.

Also, you can just take off your blazer when you're in the building, as you know the weather is hot so not everyone would be wearing one.

Do you mind me asking what is the nature of the business you're interviewing for?
    and best of luck with the Interview.

Suit. Always. If you must, take your jacket off after you've sat down.

BigTimeDealer

Suit. Always. If you must, take your jacket off after you've sat down.

Far from always. Depends on what you are being,interviewed for. In my environment smart trousers and shirt are more appropriate.

ipswich78

Far from always. Depends on what you are being,interviewed for. In my … Far from always. Depends on what you are being,interviewed for. In my environment smart trousers and shirt are more appropriate.

While the environment may suit more casual clothing, I cannot forsee any traditional job interview where I would not wear a suit.

I'd also go with a suit if you can, you don't know what the interviewer is expecting but in my opinion you can't go wrong with a suit. I've done quite a bit of interviewing and it does depend on the level of job that I've been interviewing for on whether a suit was needed but I don't think you can be overdressed for an interview. The suit may also help to hide the excessive sweating as you don't want to feel self conscious if you're shirt is wet through!

https://media.production.coolgift.com/s3fs-public/product/Borat%20Mankini%2001.jpg
    And a tie.

I assume you are a man. Then it has to be a suit unless you are applying for a manual labourer job.

As the poster above said, you can carry your jacket. You can wear short sleeve shirt. You can also buy a suit made of lighter fabric so it won't be so hot.

If you are applying for an office job, most offices are air conditioned.

dudwood_fudwood2 h, 46 m ago

In the middle of summer I doubt anyone would mark you down for attending …In the middle of summer I doubt anyone would mark you down for attending an interview in smart pants, shirt and tie. As long as you look smart and fit in with their business dress you'll be fine without a jacket. Just remember most other interviewee's will be just as nervous if not more. Good way to look at it is worst case scenario is nothing in your life changes, you spend an hour or so chatting with people and learn some interview techiques. Best case scenario is you get the job. Good luck.

​who's going to see their pants?

If you're unemployed and going for an interview, Timpsons will dry clean your suit for free.

BigTimeDealer

While the environment may suit more casual clothing, I cannot forsee any … While the environment may suit more casual clothing, I cannot forsee any traditional job interview where I would not wear a suit.

All depends on what you class as traditional? Turn up for a design / marketing agency in a suit and you won't really look the part. It's not all about what you say and do, it's how you present yourself as well. Being able to read the environment you could potentially be working in.

I've interviewed tons of developers. Not once has any of them turned up in a suit. They have no reason to.

mutley1

I assume you are a man. Then it has to be a suit unless you are applying … I assume you are a man. Then it has to be a suit unless you are applying for a manual labourer job. As the poster above said, you can carry your jacket. You can wear short sleeve shirt. You can also buy a suit made of lighter fabric so it won't be so hot.If you are applying for an office job, most offices are air conditioned.

A short sleeve shirt and a suit? No!

ipswich781 h, 25 m ago

A short sleeve shirt and a suit? No!

Short sleeve shirt is fine. May not be fashionable but wont be breaking the rules of smart dress.

mutley1

Short sleeve shirt is fine. May not be fashionable but wont be breaking … Short sleeve shirt is fine. May not be fashionable but wont be breaking the rules of smart dress.

Yeah I'd mark you down as an interviewer if you had a suit on with a short sleeve shirt.

ibblackberry11 h, 40 m ago

Yeah I'd mark you down as an interviewer if you had a suit on with a short …Yeah I'd mark you down as an interviewer if you had a suit on with a short sleeve shirt.

well i am a woman so it doesn't matter if i turn up at interview in a short sleeve shirt
    however if i interviewed men and they turn up in a short sleeve shirt, especially in this heat, i would not think it was out of the ordinary at all.

this guy is in a short sleeve shirt and he still looks very professional

mutley1

well i am a woman so it doesn't matter if i turn up at interview in a … well i am a woman so it doesn't matter if i turn up at interview in a short sleeve shirt cheeky however if i interviewed men and they turn up in a short sleeve shirt, especially in this heat, i would not think it was out of the ordinary at all.this guy is in a short sleeve shirt and he still looks very professional

He looks like he will stand on my door step and tell me stuff about Jesus

ibblackberry14 m ago

He looks like he will stand on my door step and tell me stuff about Jesus

this guy doesn't look like he believes in jesus

mutley1

Short sleeve shirt is fine. May not be fashionable but wont be breaking … Short sleeve shirt is fine. May not be fashionable but wont be breaking the rules of smart dress.

superfreddy may have an arm full of tattoos he doesn't want to show off!

joesmum9 m ago

superfreddy may have an arm full of tattoos he doesn't want to show off!

Fair point. Tattoos are no good at interview unless the job is that way inclined. But he hasnt said he needed to hide tattoo, just that he sweats a lot.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. which drill bit set for bosch cordless drill ixo range? hex?11
      2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private44
      3. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027

See more discussions