Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Interview: Sell me these shoes.

Posted 2nd Mar
Hi, my daughter has a job trial tomorrow after school in a shoe shop, she’s going to be asked to sell the lady who interviewed her a pair of shoes, can anyone in sales help please i can’t
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Mr_Gus02/03/2020 16:10

If she is lacking on the spot creativity, & unable to convey empathy & …If she is lacking on the spot creativity, & unable to convey empathy & interest to a variety of types then she is likely stuffed!

You helpful little thing, she’s 16 it will be her first time in employment , she’s really nervous, I don’t suppose you’ve ever been there though have you
Edited by: "claire7519" 2nd Mar
Rememer to up sell too - when they say they'll take the shoes, get her to ask if she wants any polish or shoe treatment for them...
18 Comments
Al Bundy is the man to ask about selling shoes to Women.
40027652-D2fFn.jpg
40027652-zR1AW.jpg
If she is lacking on the spot creativity, & unable to convey empathy & interest to a variety of types then she is likely stuffed!
Mr_Gus02/03/2020 16:10

If she is lacking on the spot creativity, & unable to convey empathy & …If she is lacking on the spot creativity, & unable to convey empathy & interest to a variety of types then she is likely stuffed!

You helpful little thing, she’s 16 it will be her first time in employment , she’s really nervous, I don’t suppose you’ve ever been there though have you
Edited by: "claire7519" 2nd Mar
Not easy task. I can only think of saying how the shoe looks great on her and suits her (ask her to try them on first obvs). Remember positive body language and attitude is what really counts
Rememer to up sell too - when they say they'll take the shoes, get her to ask if she wants any polish or shoe treatment for them...
Probably they just want to have a look at her attitude and confidence rather than her being an amazing salesperson. As long as she’s really positive and friendly I’m sure she’ll be fine. Maybe tell her to do some research on current shoe fashion, which I’m sure at 16 she’ll already know the fashion trends anyway lol. She should look at what shows are made of too (eg leather, suede) so when she’s selling them she can describe it well. Good luck to her, I’m sure she’ll do really well!
Just start a conversation is the main thing eg hi there can i help you today what kind of item are you looking for, and then build a conversation leading to a sale always suggest things and help anyway you can, self confidence is a must
Edited by: "_Tris_" 2nd Mar
She could ask what the person is mainly going to use them for, sounds silly but it's can be a conversation opener. If the customer picks a certain pair of shoes they may not be suitable for what they want. Could be a chance to 'upsell' as well.

Also maybe ask if they are vegetarian/vegan. No point selling leather shoes if they are.

Good luck to your daughter (fingers crossed!)
Edited by: "ncd" 2nd Mar
claire751902/03/2020 16:28

You helpful little thing, she’s 16 it will be her first time in employment …You helpful little thing, she’s 16 it will be her first time in employment , she’s really nervous, I don’t suppose you’ve ever been there though have you

Actually I started summer job at 14 chucked in with sweaty string & jeffing manual labouring men, then went home to help bring in the farm harvest, & washing up in a busy hotel where the chefs threw lots they needed back asap at you.
I latterly went into sales to add to my service experience (award winning) & sold millions of pounds worth of kit per annum.

My comment stands as a salesperson & service team who didn't have to duck, wheel & deal & won industry awards for best practise, high levels of service & sales to distributors & their customers.

Nerves don't make for good sales, being relevant does, find good context between customer & product.

Such as, this pair can be re-heeled, but not re-soled, however you might be able to extend the life a few more months in a dry season via stick on soles for a few pounds, ..helpful possibilities that are value to a purchase.

Upselling add ons is generally despised by consumers so it will have to be part of a varied spiel with lead ins such as, did you check over your cleaning kit recently,!?..if not I recommend "x" for a really fast, no effort shine on black schoolshoes (for instance) ..& If you find you've got some at home, keep the receipt & we'll simply refund you next time you are passing.

Presumably your kid has done some research on the subject as it is her taking the interview, not you?
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 2nd Mar
adamderak02/03/2020 17:06

Comment deleted

Well it must be milksop time in your household if you are think realistic advice with regards to sales is trolling.
Thanks everyone
Stressful for an adult so full respect to her for trying aged 16.
We all forget how unsure or vulnerable we were at that age.
She should try to project some confidence, maybe find out what other colours the shoes may be available in. Tell the interviewer how nice they look on her, if the interviewer only tries one shoe on, make sure she tries both. As mentioned earlier the interviewer will more than likely say they will take the shoes so remember shoe polish etc.
Hope you daughter does well.
One tip you don't often see these days. If the customer asks for a pair in a certain size, bring out say 4 boxes, another just in a different colour and a couple of others in the same style. This not just shows up selling (the others can be at different price points), but sometimes can lead to another sale that they like the one they picked so much, that they buy in a another colour also. Also saves times going to back store to find the other colour after the customer asks to see the other colour. Compliment the customer on what they are wearing already, if the shoe is on sale, make comments about how you can't believe it's at that price point as it was selling well past few weeks. Ask what the customer is buying the shoe for, if say for work, make comments about the tech of the shoe/sole etc etc or recommend something else. If the shoe is lace-able, demonstrate how a different colour can transform the look of the shoe also. Keep engaged with the customer, not drifting your attention away to others around you. Offer to carry the shoes to the till, ensuring to walk past other shoes and point out another pair similar.
Finally good luck for her.
Always sell to the customer needs. Make sure what she is selling is actually needed otherwise end product will be unhappy customer. No point forcing a sale of running shoes to a Nan who was after a comfortable pair of trainers to walk to the shops in.
Thank you, she’s still at school so just a bit of spending money for her
claire751902/03/2020 18:36

Thank you, she’s still at school so just a bit of spending money for her ( …Thank you, she’s still at school so just a bit of spending money for her

Excellent, at least she is trying for a bit of independence. Getting herself a little job now even if it is a Saturday job may just help on CV's when she leaves school, it will be a bit of a confidence boost too.
Good luck Claire's daughter.
Hope her prospective new boss is not a difficult customer so perhaps be prepared for that. Keep smiling and remain pleasant and helpful.
Good luck Claire's daughter.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants