Groups

Interview tips and pointers wanted please....

Got an interview tomorrow morning (little bit nervous though have been to a few in the past 12 months) but I have been unemployed since November 2008 and really want this job!
    Trouble is, because of the recession and lack of decent jobs available I'm gonna have alot of competition, so I was looking for some tips and pointers if anyone can help at all?

20 Comments

make sure your aware of what the job entails...dont forget to ask questions..smile and lots of eye contact..relax and good luck

As above poster mentioned, do a bit of research on the company so you know your stuff! Good luck

Original Poster

Feeling better already about it thank you:)

Banned

You ready for this?!

Read the job description plenty of times before you go so you know what they're after.

Don't be afraid to pause to think of your answers to their questions, stating the first thing that comes to your mind is a no-no.

An interview technique designed to unsettle you is for the interviewer to leave a long silence, you will feel like you need to fill it- don't! This is when you jibber-jabber and say things you dont need to.

Usually you will be asked if you have any questions at the end of the interview. Have a couple in mind so you seem interested and intelligent rather than the usual 'urm..no i dont think so...'

Devise a sentence you can come out with as you leave which will leave the interviewer with a lasting impression of you, it might make them remember you over another equal candidate.

Wear what you feel comfortable in, If its smart but you feel uncomfortable it will show!

Pack a handbag tonight while you're settled and thinking straight, include mints/gum for breath, mini make up set, DEODORANT, perfume, spare tights (if you're wearing tights! don't want ladders!), etc anything you may forget in the morning and be desperate without- i.e. deodorant-would be a nightmare if you forget!

Original Poster

H_K;4859305

You ready for this?!Read the job description plenty of times before you … You ready for this?!Read the job description plenty of times before you go so you know what they're after.Don't be afraid to pause to think of your answers to their questions, stating the first thing that comes to your mind is a no-no.An interview technique designed to unsettle you is for the interviewer to leave a long silence, you will feel like you need to fill it- don't! This is when you jibber-jabber and say things you dont need to.Usually you will be asked if you have any questions at the end of the interview. Have a couple in mind so you seem interested and intelligent rather than the usual 'urm..no i dont think so...'Devise a sentence you can come out with as you leave which will leave the interviewer with a lasting impression of you, it might make them remember you over another equal candidate.Wear what you feel comfortable in, If its smart but you feel uncomfortable it will show!Pack a handbag tonight while you're settled and thinking straight, include mints/gum for breath, mini make up set, DEODORANT, perfume, spare tights (if you're wearing tights! don't want ladders!), etc anything you may forget in the morning and be desperate without- i.e. deodorant-would be a nightmare if you forget!

Wow thank you very much - I knew I could rely on peeps at HUKD:thumbsup:

Banned

H_K;4859305

You ready for this?!Devise a sentence you can come out with as you leave … You ready for this?!Devise a sentence you can come out with as you leave which will leave the interviewer with a lasting impression of you, it might make them remember you over another equal candidate.

i.e.
    I really believe that I could be a valuable asset to your strong team and would relish the opportunity to succeed here.

depends on the job you're applying for...lol

Banned

Yeh, can you tell we've been given interview lectures at uni for graduate jobs?!

What kind of job is it that you're applying for?

Learn what you can about the company, as well as the job.

Prepare a list of things that you want to know about, before you get there, and ask what isn't covered by them - tell them you have a list, and that you'd like to refer to it. It shows you're organised, which most bosses like.

If you can do some exercise beforehand, it will put you in a confident state of mind too. Remind yourself of all of your qualities, and achievements, just to reinforce your self belief.

Good luck!:thumbsup::

Original Poster

H_K;4859360

Yeh, can you tell we've been given interview lectures at uni for graduate … Yeh, can you tell we've been given interview lectures at uni for graduate jobs?!What kind of job is it that you're applying for?

It's for the position of residential support worker in a children's home - I have been in management for years but got made redundant recently. I have never worked with children but have experience of care work from years back.

Research research research

And prepare plenty of profile questions - e.g. give me an example when you had to overcome a difficult team situation etc. At least 3 of each.

Banned

Charlie23;4859417

It's for the position of residential support worker in a children's home … It's for the position of residential support worker in a children's home - I have been in management for years but got made redundant recently. I have never worked with children but have experience of care work from years back.

Well I'm on a teaching degree...they might want to know your thoughts on certain children's policies? can you copy and paste the job description? I might be able to help you as I know quite a lot about jobs in childcare.

spend some time watching this, it'll really help ]http//ca…spx

Original Poster

H_K;4859460

Well I'm on a teaching degree...they might want to know your thoughts on … Well I'm on a teaching degree...they might want to know your thoughts on certain children's policies? can you copy and paste the job description? I might be able to help you as I know quite a lot about jobs in childcare.

They never sent a job description but I can send you the link to the page -
    castlecaregroup.co.uk/job…=52

Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help it was much appreciated!

Banned

Charlie23;4859491

They never sent a job description but I can send you the link to the page … They never sent a job description but I can send you the link to the page - http://www.castlecaregroup.co.uk/job-vacancies-detail.asp?pk=52

OK, the massive policy in childcare at present which jumps out at me after reading that is ECM- Every Child Matters- EVERYTHING in childcare revolves around this at present, it was drafted following the death of Victoria Climbie and is vital in education and childcare.
    Its 5 desired outcomes are;
    Be healthy
    Stay safe
    Enjoy and achieve
    Make a positive contribution
    Achieve economic well-being
    It might be worth knowing some basic info on this, will sound good to quote it, especially if you're not experienced immediately in childcare-will show dedicaiton and research.

Other than that the description is very vague-usually they state they are seeking a 'dynamic person' or likewise..this is giving nothing away.

I have been interviewing for the last 3 days. Best advise is don't waffle, listen to the question and try and answer using recent examples. If you go on and on you will disengage the interviewer and they will find it impossible to recall your evidence. Good luck. Like the others have stated do your research and prepare to wow them with facts about their employer. :thumbsup:

H_K;4859601

OK, the massive policy in childcare at present which jumps out at me … OK, the massive policy in childcare at present which jumps out at me after reading that is ECM- Every Child Matters- EVERYTHING in childcare revolves around this at present, it was drafted following the death of Victoria Climbie and is vital in education and childcare. Its 5 desired outcomes are;Be healthy Stay safe Enjoy and achieve Make a positive contribution Achieve economic well-being It might be worth knowing some basic info on this, will sound good to quote it, especially if you're not experienced immediately in childcare-will show dedicaiton and research.Other than that the description is very vague-usually they state they are seeking a 'dynamic person' or likewise..this is giving nothing away.

ECM has now been formed into the Early Years Foundation Stage as of last year!

standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/

My advice would be to get a good nights sleep, have a good breakfast and make sure you are physically and emotionally alert for your interview. Remember that the interviewer will have set questions he or she will wish for you to answer but you are free to guide these answers in whatever way you are most knowledgable.

Good luck xx

If i had known earlier i would have sent you this powerpoint i have on interview techniques, but its on me works computer

But stay positive, don't be afraid to take time to answer questions rather than just waffling on!
    Research a little bit about the job, including company history and recent developments in the field.
    If you get an opportunity to ask questions, then ask at least one. Maybe something like "Is there any room for extra hours?" Or "Is their scope for promotion?" This will show you are committed and looking towards the future with the company.

Banned

Hi Charlie,
    I hope your interview went well, please let us know how you got on, was thinking about you today hoping it went OK.

I did set up another thread asking you so you might see it clearly, but was completely ambushed as you might be able to see, I still don't really know why, lol.

Hope our info was helpful to you!
    xx
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      2. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1111
      4. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2748

See more discussions