Introducing the Pepper Expert Program - User rewards closed beta

Found 8th Nov
Black Friday is just around the corner, so what better time than now to test what might just be the biggest change on hotukdeals in its 14 yr history?!

On Monday we’ll be launching the Pepper Expert Program- a closed beta test where a handful of deal posters are rewarded for their activity on hotukdeals. These users are the ones you’ll see day after day posting great deals - we see them, we see how much they’re loved by us and the community and we want to show our appreciation.

I’ve highlighted how this will work operationally in an FAQ but for now I wanted to make sure we give you as much info as possible around who is involved, what the driver behind this beta is and what will happen next.

What is the Pepper Expert Program, and why are you testing it now?

For a long time now at hotukdeals and Pepper, we’ve talked about introducing some kind of rewards program for some of our members, but with site updates and company changes we’ve never really been in a position to dedicate time to it.. We decided to stop talking about it so much and just try it out!

At hotukdeals (as well as across the rest of Pepper.com communities) we great content. This is what brought you to the site in the first place, and what made you stick around - it’s the same for all of our community members - they came here to find something specific and eventually stuck around because they kept finding deals and stories that interested them.

We feel like this is a great starting point for our expert beta, so we started looking at the number of new visitors that our deal posters bring to our site through their deals as well as the way those deal posters treat their fellow community members. We created an index and score based on those metrics - the PEP Index

Users who ranked highly in this index, ie those users who contributed heavily to the community as a whole and ranked in the top of the table are being invited into a closed beta, where they will be rewarded for their expert opinions, their amazing content and the way they treat their fellow community members

How can I trust the community if some of them are being rewarded for what they post?

They’re still posting exactly what they would’ve posted originally, they’re just being rewarded for doing so. Their only driver is to post well researched, well written content. In fact, every expert on the program will need to sign a contract in which he or she guarantees us that they are not being paid or in any form rewarded by the brand or shop he posts the content for. Conversely, there’s also a section in the contract that underlines that here at Pepper and hotukdeals, we won’t influence the user either.
You’re guaranteed absolute transparency when it comes to knowing who is a part of the beta - Pepper Expert members will have a unique user title and their profile page will provide details about their participation. You’ll also see a heavy banner on each and every one of those users’ deals. (Mrswitch has been used for this example!)

3099284.jpg
Once our Pepper Experts are all active, we'll add their usernames in here so you know what's what

On what basis do you pay Pepper Experts and how much do they earn?
Pepper Experts are rewarded purely for the quality of their contributions. Each month we’ll contribute a fixed monetary pot, and our Experts will be rewarded a share of that pot based on how their deals performed according to our Pep Index*. The better the quality, the higher their cut of the pot.

Wth is a Pep Index?
As mentioned earlier, our Pep Index combines various numbers to measure the quality of Pepper Expert contributions. The formula in the index will continue to be improved throughout our beta. On-site actions such as voting do not play a role as we want to retain neutrality and balance. Temperature also isn’t a factor, nor is commission.

Do Pepper Experts have extra permissions? Do they get “insider info” from you?
Short and simple answer Nope. There’s no influence from us and they have standard user accounts - they will be expected to continue to adhere to our forum rules as always. Conversely, we expect the rest of our community to treat Pepper Experts with respect; again, they’re still members, they’re still a part of the hotukdeals community and no allowances will be given if they are targeted or otherwise trolled by users because of their perceived change in status.

Why is the beta closed? Why not just open it up?
First off, this is new to us too - we need to test it to death and see if it actually improves the quality of content on hotukdeals.

Secondly, unlike Instagram or YouTube, for example, we don't want hotukdeals to become a place for people who just want to make money on the net or create a brand out of themselves. The Pepper Expert Program is intended to give selected members whose deals inspire others and who are always exemplary towards the community a chance to be rewarded for their special efforts.

So the program isn’t intended to be open to *everyone*. In the future, however, there will be the possibility to apply as long as certain conditions (e.g. minimum age of the account, minimum number of deals) are met. We honestly feel this is the fairest way to handle the situation.

We’ll be running the beta phase for the next few months - we’re positive the majority of our community members will be happy to see some well-known names in the test group but if you see anyone being harsh or unfair toward one another, please let us know via report!

We know this is a huge step into the unknown, and some users won’t be impressed by the plan - some may even feel excluded because they weren’t invited (yet). However, we have to start somewhere, and there’s no rule that we can’t scale the program or change the participants over time. We just have to see how it goes.

Our theory is that quality content is the keystone of a healthy community, so we hope our test will prove that theory and strengthen the community and its values for years to come.

As always, ready for the “tl;dr” comments but seriously, it’d be great to get your feedback and constructive comments.

• thewrecker7477
  • apur32
  • nihir
  • mrswitch
  • idontflycathay
  • Zanyangel
  • Devinn
  • amazoncrazy
  • brutes
  • mixmixi
  • Tacavas
  • Terrahawk
  • reindeer333
  • joeydeacon

Final invitee has not yet returned their signed contract, so they've been omitted from this list for now. This list will be updated with their names in due course
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Sounds like a good idea.

I often see the same people posting deals (i'd hate to be their employer!), so it should only be fair that those people get some kind of reward for all their hard work in tracking down and posting deals.

Unfortunately the deals I try and post have been posted by someone else usually, but if it encourages more people to track down deals, then surely we all benefit in the long run.

I think it's a great idea

PS Don't tell my boss i'm on here leaving comments when I should be working
£100k a year salary from hukd incoming for @Chanchi32
The biggest issue this site has and this could potentially make it much worse is people "hijacking" deals. I see it so many times, Person A posts "25% off toys at Argos" then Persons B,C,D,E,F post individual toys with the 25% off. Hopefully you reinforce it's invite only and the quality of your posts (rather than quantity) is more important.
So quality also includes things like not posting.
£33pp holidays/flights, when you have included children under 4 to beef up the numbers.
Post an identical deal to someone else but instead of a black washing machine, it's the white model (same machine, same retailer).
Finding the same deal with a different retailer then creating a new post with that deal. It's handy to know, but there should be a way to add a price matched retailer to the original deal.

Finally what constitutes as a deal? any saving? (1p off?) (10p off?) (£1 off). Trust me, if this site starts filling up with penny saving deals I would be the first to no longer bother visiting..

Anyways, good luck with your new program, hopefully we wont see any of the abuse above where people are trying to get accepted on it.
As a user who joined hukd in the first year, I wear my pioneer badge with pride.
I have seen MANY site changes over the years mostly good ones.
I have showed work colleagues deals I've posted before that have went lava hot, and their like, do you get anything for that, and I said no and they said why do it then.
Did actually think about that for a bit, and whilst it's great to see some kind of rewards scheme being introduced, I've always LOVED just how community based hukd is and has remained.
The deals I have benefited from since I joined in March of 2005 have outweighed any rewards program.
Yes we have our trolls, spats with people defending apple over android and people arguing over a penny cheaper deal elsewhere, but the comments and reviews and previous experience of a seller or company is invaluable, and comes from genuine everyday people all with the same thing in common saving some money and getting the best price possible.
Here's to another 13 years of blistering hot UK deals, bring on black Friday!!
477 Comments
Sounds like a good idea.

I often see the same people posting deals (i'd hate to be their employer!), so it should only be fair that those people get some kind of reward for all their hard work in tracking down and posting deals.

Unfortunately the deals I try and post have been posted by someone else usually, but if it encourages more people to track down deals, then surely we all benefit in the long run.

I think it's a great idea

PS Don't tell my boss i'm on here leaving comments when I should be working
Great idea and we'll deserved for whoever has it. Some people get great deals day in day out!
deleted1637327
Great. But please change this "policy" that if someone posts a deal without a proof is accepted. If I will be a 10th person posting same deal but I have a proof please accept my deal not the first person's post. Thank you
Sounds fair enough to reward those that out in the effort, I'm just here for the desks, selfish so and so really 🙈
johnraggett9 m ago

Sounds fair enough to reward those that out in the effort, I'm just here …Sounds fair enough to reward those that out in the effort, I'm just here for the desks, selfish so and so really 🙈

Don't be harsh on yourself!! Without shoppers and voters and comments there'd be no point in posting deals at all. We're all part of the machine
Edited by: "juliet_bravo" 8th Nov
So have you already picked the experts for Monday? If not, when will they know?
OneGloveOnTheFence1 m ago

So have you already picked the experts for Monday? If not, when will they …So have you already picked the experts for Monday? If not, when will they know?

We're working on it most of the experts have been invited now, most have replied and signed their contract. I haven't put the list of names in yet as I want to give everyone time to review their paperwork
juliet_bravo4 m ago

We're working on it most of the experts have been invited now, most …We're working on it most of the experts have been invited now, most have replied and signed their contract. I haven't put the list of names in yet as I want to give everyone time to review their paperwork

Thank you, Juliet and Pepper Deals Ltd. This is a huge honour for both @Chanchi32 and I - we can't stop talking about it.

8833408621541692764.jpg
juliet_bravo7 m ago

We're working on it most of the experts have been invited now, most …We're working on it most of the experts have been invited now, most have replied and signed their contract. I haven't put the list of names in yet as I want to give everyone time to review their paperwork

I haven't seen my invite anywhere, I'll check my spam folder
Interesting!
Cool
I like the idea of this
£100k a year salary from hukd incoming for @Chanchi32
How do you decide if the one “contributed heavily to the community “?
This sounds like a great idea, I've noticed a fair few consistent people who post quality deals day after day out of their own time, not asking or expecting anything at all but just enjoy helping out the community and delivering these deals to others, glad to see though unexpected that they now have a chance to be rewarded for their efforts! Definitely on board with this idea.
Edited by: "argt7" 8th Nov
Sam must be one of them surely, his wisdom and insight should be heralded.
I'm sure it's a great idea but it was tl;dr.
I think it's a brilliant idea, alot of people give up their time to post deals
Edited by: "Jaxs123" 8th Nov
Sounds good!
OneGloveOnTheFence10 m ago

I haven't seen my invite anywhere, I'll check my spam folder I haven't seen my invite anywhere, I'll check my spam folder

Nor me!
Sounds good
Switch is in then
Sounds good
Sounds great
I used to post deals but then without reason, some were removed. I gave up then.
Good incentive for the regular posters, sounds great
Great idea
Good idea, @Mrswitch will make loads of cash
Sounds good
What about me
Great idea, would love to be involved myself..like many, I've been a member for years and refer lots of people to this site
This sounds like a great idea hope everyone good luck with participating
This is awesome. Very sensibly put together. Looking forward to it improving the quality of content on here even further!
Sums up HUKD. Professional, accountable, constructive and fair. Great site so completely sensible to test in Beta before further roll out.
Sounds like a good idea
Chanchi deserves rewarding
Sounds good, sign me up
Ohhhh interesting. Great idea
I thought this already happened for Editors?!?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions