Introduction to Gaming for adult - PS Vita

Found 4th Aug
HI
I am an adult who suffers badly from ADHD and short term memory loss, with impaired functionality (due to an accident).

I thought I might try to train myself using gaming, to try and lengthen my attention span, and improve cognitive functionality.

The last system I used was a SNES with MarioKart and SF2.

My hand to eye coordination is poor therefore using the thumb pad is probably going to be a big ask, where as the directional buttons are do-able.

I did briefly try a few games with the 3DS XL but to be fair, I couldnt hold concentration long enough to carry it on. Also, it just seemed for some of the games that you just had to press everything frantically rather than the olden days where only certain simple button combinations were effective.

If anyone wants to offer any personal advice, I would be glad to listen and try, as I am open to new ideas, which may or may not help..

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
They are currently re-releasing all the old classic consoles like the NES, SNES, MegaDrive, C64 which might peak your interest and work on all newer model TVs.

The other option could be to buy a Nintendo Wii...they have some fun games that work with you moving the whole controller. For example, swinging it like a tennis racket, golf club or like you’re throwing a ball down a bowling alley. Young kids loved this and my Grandad will often play it too. He plays tennis against himself with a controller in each hand

A lot of your newer games can be more complicated compared to the good old days. There are games available on the likes of the Wii and the Nintendo DS that are aimed at brain training but I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for. I’m no gaming expert but I hope this helps.
Also, depending on what you have as far as a computer/laptop/smartphone, there my be several gaming options available without having to fork out on anything new. Try some free games and if they’re no good at least you’re not out of pocket.
I live with BPD and my concentration can be stupidly low but I've found these games simple enough to keep my focus and engaging enough to make it worth while.

Sound Shapes on ps vita/PS3/4
A nice simple pressing 1/2 buttons whilst playing music based on the shapes different music from rock to dance etc

Entwined a twin stick hit the shapes game on PS4 and vita
Maybe consider a pc, you can get many different types of keyboards and mice for a range of conditions (these don’t exist for consoles).
Can't offer any gaming advice but best wishes as you try to manage/control your condition.
Id say grab a ps4/xbox one. Game suggestion is difficult. I'm tempted to say get something fast paced perhaps a multiplayer FPS?
Having said that I'm tempted to suggest something with a really good story that might hold your attention. All down to how you are I suppose. How are you with Tv shows and films?
Thanks for all the feedback, I have already invested in a Vita so am going to give a try to some ideas on here
Deaa1 h, 4 m ago

Id say grab a ps4/xbox one. Game suggestion is difficult. I'm tempted to …Id say grab a ps4/xbox one. Game suggestion is difficult. I'm tempted to say get something fast paced perhaps a multiplayer FPS?Having said that I'm tempted to suggest something with a really good story that might hold your attention. All down to how you are I suppose. How are you with Tv shows and films?

Its a bit hit and miss. I watch Countdown, but the music distracts me so I play it on my Ipad. I may be overplaying it a bit but its perfect for a short concentration span, not so good for computing possibilities in the given time though. I tend to pause it.
Hastie865 h, 57 m ago

Also, depending on what you have as far as a computer/laptop/smartphone, …Also, depending on what you have as far as a computer/laptop/smartphone, there my be several gaming options available without having to fork out on anything new. Try some free games and if they’re no good at least you’re not out of pocket.

I dont have the patience to download and learn them, I have the controller, I bought a few games and none of them would install, needing steam then the other wanted something else, I did try for maybe an hour to get them to install and play but they wouldnt even though brand new, so I gave up. My aim is to be able to read a novel again.
Edited by: "Bashop" 4th Aug
Bashop22 m ago

I dont have the patience to download and learn them, I have the …I dont have the patience to download and learn them, I have the controller, I bought a few games and none of them would install, needing steam then the other wanted something else, I did try for maybe an hour to get them to install and play but they wouldnt even though brand new, so I gave up. My aim is to be able to read a novel again.

Tried auido books on Audible? bit easy than reading and a good way baxck in
There are several episodic adventure games from Telltale Games, most are very well reviewed.
Several other point and click style games, focus is on the story with simple controls.

gamepressure.com/gam…re/
Deaa4th Aug

Tried auido books on Audible? bit easy than reading and a good way baxck in

I find it harder than reading. Seems too slow
Hastie864th Aug

They are currently re-releasing all the old classic consoles like the NES, …They are currently re-releasing all the old classic consoles like the NES, SNES, MegaDrive, C64 which might peak your interest and work on all newer model TVs.The other option could be to buy a Nintendo Wii...they have some fun games that work with you moving the whole controller. For example, swinging it like a tennis racket, golf club or like you’re throwing a ball down a bowling alley. Young kids loved this and my Grandad will often play it too. He plays tennis against himself with a controller in each hand A lot of your newer games can be more complicated compared to the good old days. There are games available on the likes of the Wii and the Nintendo DS that are aimed at brain training but I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for. I’m no gaming expert but I hope this helps.

Any chance you could list some of the games, its like a needle in a haystack..?
DanRussell4th Aug

I live with BPD and my concentration can be stupidly low but I've found …I live with BPD and my concentration can be stupidly low but I've found these games simple enough to keep my focus and engaging enough to make it worth while.Sound Shapes on ps vita/PS3/4 A nice simple pressing 1/2 buttons whilst playing music based on the shapes different music from rock to dance etc Entwined a twin stick hit the shapes game on PS4 and vita

I have the sample version of this game. Its playing 2000's House tunes, seems a bit perculiar..
Deaa4th Aug

Id say grab a ps4/xbox one. Game suggestion is difficult. I'm tempted to …Id say grab a ps4/xbox one. Game suggestion is difficult. I'm tempted to say get something fast paced perhaps a multiplayer FPS?Having said that I'm tempted to suggest something with a really good story that might hold your attention. All down to how you are I suppose. How are you with Tv shows and films?

Do one of these rip Blu-Rays to disc? I cant figure out how to rip blu-rays to disc and a player that plays them. I would very much like to do this. I have paid for the DVD's
bazdotdoc5th Aug

There are several episodic adventure games from Telltale Games, most are …There are several episodic adventure games from Telltale Games, most are very well reviewed.Several other point and click style games, focus is on the story with simple controls.https://www.gamepressure.com/games/psvita/adventure/

Its the stories that I cant follow, I want to press the buttons and win, which is exactly what it does, but I dont want to just hammer the buttons and win, you should know combinations, not just win, in the old days you had to press the buttons a certain way to win, why is it winning, with just random hammerings?
Bashop1 h, 28 m ago

Do one of these rip Blu-Rays to disc? I cant figure out how to rip …Do one of these rip Blu-Rays to disc? I cant figure out how to rip blu-rays to disc and a player that plays them. I would very much like to do this. I have paid for the DVD's

You'll need a P.C to rip anything to disk. What do you mean by rip blu-rays to disk, aren't your blu-rays already on a disk? or do you mean you have some blu-ray quality files you want to rip to disk to then play? If that is the case it wouldn't be needed. You can stream the video from your P.C directly to both the xbox or ps4 (xbox is slightly better at this)
Meditation can be very useful at improving your attention span, Maybe have a look and see if there is a meditation/mindfulness course near you. Remember to keep hydrated and take some moderate exercise, Combine that with some gaming, Ideally with games that you can dip in and out of, and you should start to see improvements.
Deaa13th Aug

You'll need a P.C to rip anything to disk. What do you mean by rip …You'll need a P.C to rip anything to disk. What do you mean by rip blu-rays to disk, aren't your blu-rays already on a disk? or do you mean you have some blu-ray quality files you want to rip to disk to then play? If that is the case it wouldn't be needed. You can stream the video from your P.C directly to both the xbox or ps4 (xbox is slightly better at this)

No, I basically want to rip my DVD collection including Blu Rays to a hard drive so that I can watch them on my laptop, and find a player that will let me resize them slightly so the black bars aren't so big.

I havent tried to do this for years, I have a copy of adobe premiere elements. I was considering trying to convert them into something smaller. I'm trying not to just download copies off the net, which is the easy way as their already converted into smaller files. I know this is going to take ages and be a pain, but Id like to convert my own copies. I can do this with music so why not films too. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants