Inverness, Scotland (The Highlands)

Posted 21st May
Hey mates, can I pick the experts’ brain.
Is anyone living in Inverness (or lived/ visited) and could advise if it’s a good place to live and work. I’ve always lived in London, but enjoy visits to the Highland, Inverness-Scotland.
Is it a good and friendly place to settle down? Personal experience will be of immense benefit. Thanks for your help.
Community Updates
Ask
53 Comments
If you can handle not being in the city environment Inverness would be great place to stay. The highlands is always a welcoming place and u should fit in as the highlands has a lot of English staying up there
They still point at aeroplanes up there.
Scotland131421/05/2020 20:32

If you can handle not being in the city environment Inverness would be …If you can handle not being in the city environment Inverness would be great place to stay. The highlands is always a welcoming place and u should fit in as the highlands has a lot of English staying up there

Surely this should be - if you can handle not being in a big city environment?

Inverness is a lovely city, and the area around has plenty of history and outdoor activites. The only issue is that if you want to get to other locations around Scotland it can be quite a trek.
Edited by: "alg" 21st May
alg21/05/2020 20:47

Surely this should be - if you can handle not being in a big city …Surely this should be - if you can handle not being in a big city environment? Inverness is a lovely city, and the area around has plenty of history and outdoor activites. The only issue is that if you want to get to other locations around Scotland it can be quite a trek.

U know what I mean
Some breath taking scenery in the north of Scotland
Edited by: "JizzKid" 21st May
alg21/05/2020 20:47

Surely this should be - if you can handle not being in a big city …Surely this should be - if you can handle not being in a big city environment? Inverness is a lovely city, and the area around has plenty of history and outdoor activites. The only issue is that if you want to get to other locations around Scotland it can be quite a trek.

That’s no brainier mate! Trekking in the beautiful natural habitat. Even more, NORTH COAST 500
JizzKid21/05/2020 21:30

Some breath taking scenery in the north of Scotland

Absolutely!
Scotland131421/05/2020 20:32

If you can handle not being in the city environment Inverness would be …If you can handle not being in the city environment Inverness would be great place to stay. The highlands is always a welcoming place and u should fit in as the highlands has a lot of English staying up there

Inverness is a city.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 21st May
joyf453621/05/2020 21:33

Inverness is a city.

(Sure as heck would not want to live there- sort of Wetherspoons-on-Ness)
Seriously why not spend long enough there to make your own mind up without outside pressure,
a couple of hours should be enough.

PS. Buy a return ticket.
joyf453621/05/2020 21:33

Inverness is a city.

Aye but compared to London no the same is it
Have you considered Perthshire?
Scotland131421/05/2020 21:54

Aye but compared to London no the same is it

I think London has more Wetherspoons (and most still have the filling inside the seat cushions) Also when you leave a London airport you don't have to hang around for hours until the supermarkets will sell you a bottle of wine because 9.55am is toooooo early, as you can't be trusted even if you don't aim to drink it until evening on Skye watching the wee midges eat your leg.
joyf453621/05/2020 22:02

I think London has more Wetherspoons (and most still have the filling …I think London has more Wetherspoons (and most still have the filling inside the seat cushions) Also when you leave a London airport you don't have to hang around for hours until the supermarkets will sell you a bottle of wine because 9.55am is toooooo early, as you can't be trusted even if you don't aim to drink it until evening on Skye watching the wee midges eat your leg.

So u don’t like it up here then
Scotland131421/05/2020 22:16

So u don’t like it up here then

Some places inspire you, some places you never want to forget, some places make you want to stay until you die...
Inverness is not one of them.
I was born in Inverness and grew up here then left to study and work for a few years in the central belt then moved back up to Inverness. I like the size with a reasonable amount of resources in the centre but it's easy to get out into the countryside which is where I like to be. For those who like a busier lifestyle Inverness can be frustratingly small and employment options aren't great especially since none of the other main cities are in a commutable distance unlike those in the central belt.
Johnmcl721/05/2020 22:26

I was born in Inverness and grew up here then left to study and work for a …I was born in Inverness and grew up here then left to study and work for a few years in the central belt then moved back up to Inverness. I like the size with a reasonable amount of resources in the centre but it's easy to get out into the countryside which is where I like to be. For those who like a busier lifestyle Inverness can be frustratingly small and employment options aren't great especially since none of the other main cities are in a commutable distance unlike those in the central belt.

Apart from that..........
Scotland is cold, The Highlands colder, something to bear in mind; Inverness's a bit expensive (my impression).
But, the landscape is breath taking,
If you've got a good job and a good woman, definitely a place to be.
Thanks folks. I’m loving all the thoughts and really appreciate.
Rugrats21/05/2020 22:37

Scotland is cold, The Highlands colder, something to bear in mind; …Scotland is cold, The Highlands colder, something to bear in mind; Inverness's a bit expensive (my impression).But, the landscape is breath taking, If you've got a good job and a good woman, definitely a place to be.

It's not the landscape that takes your breath away it's the cold. I've spent many happy hours in Inverness, glass in hand
waiting for my flight back to normality and away from the permafrost. At least no 'weird you stay' or furry boots.
Sassenach!
it’s a beautiful place
It’s not that cold
OP, can I jump on your thread to ask a Scottish related question?
Long way from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee so not ideal for day trips.
You will miss certain aspects of London - there are less entertainment/leisure options but there is the empty countryside and beaches (and skiing in the winter - only 30 mins to Aviemore). The coastline along the Moray Firth tends to have relatively mild weather. The biggest issue is likely to be lack of visits from friends and family. Its a days travel from London to Inverness and another day back, so no chance of quick weekend visits and as its not worth visiting for a day or so, they would probably have to come up for at least 3 or 4 days to make it worthwhile (so visits will take large chunks of their holidays)
EN1GMA22/05/2020 09:31

OP, can I jump on your thread to ask a Scottish related question?

What’s the question?
Scotland131422/05/2020 12:42

What’s the question?

OH always wanted to go to Scotland. I do to tbh. Got a couple of young kids. So looking for destinations not too far in, where can rent a little place, ideally near a beach but also can go for walks and bike rides. Don't want a city break with the kids.

Thanks
EN1GMA22/05/2020 12:54

OH always wanted to go to Scotland. I do to tbh. Got a couple of young …OH always wanted to go to Scotland. I do to tbh. Got a couple of young kids. So looking for destinations not too far in, where can rent a little place, ideally near a beach but also can go for walks and bike rides. Don't want a city break with the kids.Thanks

Perthshire Or Fife- lovely area and still within easy travelling to Glasgow or Edinburgh, Dundee,, highlands, Braemar. Anstruther, Crail, St Monans, or even St Andrews. Or you could go West coast, Arisaig area but beware the midges....
Edited by: "gari189" 22nd May
gari18922/05/2020 13:04

Perthshire Or Fife- lovely area and still within easy travelling to …Perthshire Or Fife- lovely area and still within easy travelling to Glasgow or Edinburgh, Dundee,, highlands, Braemar. Anstruther, Craig, St Monans, or even St Andrews. Or you could go West coast, Arisaig area but beware the midges....

So those areas are not too far in when I enter Scotland?

Would like to rent a little holiday cottage for a week, have bbqs in the evening, and go for walks, or to the beach and bike rides in the day. Just the simple pleasures of life
eelvis22/05/2020 11:25

Long way from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee so not ideal for day …Long way from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee so not ideal for day trips.

....if you're idea of a fun daytrip is visiting another city.

If you're more interested in gorgeous scenery in areas that are as sparsely populated as Britain gets, it is ideal.
gari18922/05/2020 13:04

Perthshire Or Fife- lovely area and still within easy travelling to …Perthshire Or Fife- lovely area and still within easy travelling to Glasgow or Edinburgh, Dundee,, highlands, Braemar. Anstruther, Craig, St Monans, or even St Andrews. Or you could go West coast, Arisaig area but beware the midges....

Or if you don't mind a (significant) larger expense there's Orkney - mainland has decent beaches, plenty of history, plenty of places to cycle etc.
If you want areas nearer the border - the Ayrshire coast is nice or St Abbs (east coast) but to be honest St Abbs isn’t that much different from areas of the Northumbria coast
Edited by: "gari189" 22nd May
EN1GMA22/05/2020 13:08

So those areas are not too far in when I enter Scotland?Would like to rent …So those areas are not too far in when I enter Scotland?Would like to rent a little holiday cottage for a week, have bbqs in the evening, and go for walks, or to the beach and bike rides in the day. Just the simple pleasures of life

I hired a house in Perthshire about 4 years ago for the family, think it was about 2hrs over the border, lovely scenery and the kids loved the open space and freedom they had, I would recommend taking the family to Ben Nevis from there, it takes a couple of hours to get there but the drive is breathtaking and you can go up in a cable car
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions