Involved in a Non Fault accident today need some advice

Posted 5th Jul 2019
Involved in a Non Fault accident this evening and other driver admitted the fault, Called insurance, they picked up the car(Still ok, but the driver side front door and wheel arch damaged) received a call from Auxillis offering a hire car, Should I just get a Hire car from them or contact the third party insurance? does it matter?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Let your insurance sort it out - or at least OK it with them . At all times go via your own insurance , don't accept any offers from third party agents .
49 Comments
Let your insurance sort it out - or at least OK it with them . At all times go via your own insurance , don't accept any offers from third party agents .
deleted90213905/07/2019 23:38

Let your insurance sort it out - or at least OK it with them . At all …Let your insurance sort it out - or at least OK it with them . At all times go via your own insurance , don't accept any offers from third party agents .

thanks.. what happens if they take really long to repair? do i get any issues for keeping the hire car really long time...?
I don't think there will be issues if it's done through insurance but expect it to go up next year if it's your fault or not.

Some dingbat reversed into my car last year at work and totally destroyed my rear passenger door. When I found out who it was via Facebook and cctv I got a scrapyard door, had it resprayed and fitted it. Charged him. He reckoned he didn't realise he did it. righto.

Still a bargain for him and me as total cost was £150. Well for me nothing, except inconvenience but at least insurance didn't increase.
a.19831105/07/2019 23:46

thanks.. what happens if they take really long to repair? do i get any …thanks.. what happens if they take really long to repair? do i get any issues for keeping the hire car really long time...?

That's down to your insurance company and the cover you have , they should keep you updated , just deal with them .
MonkeysUncle06/07/2019 00:02

I don't think there will be issues if it's done through insurance but …I don't think there will be issues if it's done through insurance but expect it to go up next year if it's your fault or not.Some dingbat reversed into my car last year at work and totally destroyed my rear passenger door. When I found out who it was via Facebook and cctv I got a scrapyard door, had it resprayed and fitted it. Charged him. He reckoned he didn't realise he did it. righto. Still a bargain for him and me as total cost was £150. Well for me nothing, except inconvenience but at least insurance didn't increase.

Wish it's easy as that... Here is the damage.. the door is slightly mislocated... And a big dent on door and wheel arch....
38003238-gA6Pu.jpg
deleted90213906/07/2019 00:05

That's down to your insurance company and the cover you have , they should …That's down to your insurance company and the cover you have , they should keep you updated , just deal with them .

Thanks.. they just sent me the docs for hire car and I generally don't like driving other cars... Love my Jazz hope they don't write it off...:-(
Ah bum. I know why you like the jazz, they just go on and on. Insane reliability.
Shame they are viewed as old folks cars here, well maybe not if you know how they drive

Nippy little buggers if grandpa isn't driving.
I had problems with Auxillis I personally wouldn’t use them again. Have a look on Trustpilot so you can make a decision.
Name your insurance company please as they seem excellent
Hire car charges can be exorbitant and can be a pain if other insurers deem the costs unfair...

I would avoid as I was in a similar situation but had heard friends who had hassle going the hire car route.

My insurers use Auxilis but seems like a bit of an earner for the insurance companies as the costs rocket. In the end I think we all pay in higher insurance costs each year.

More background to the car hire costs which can tie you in to a squabble between insurance companies over the exorbitant bill.

Guardian Car insurance and the little-known world of credit hire companies
A driver who did nothing wrong found herself drawn into a legal action over the £4,000 hire of a courtesy vehicle
Edited by: "davewave" 6th Jul 2019
Car is probably a write off but hopefully not for your sake.
Edited by: "davewave" 6th Jul 2019
davewave06/07/2019 05:17

Hire car charges can be exorbitant and can be a pain if other insurers …Hire car charges can be exorbitant and can be a pain if other insurers deem the costs unfair...I would avoid as I was in a similar situation but had heard friends who had hassle going the hire car route. My insurers use Auxilis but seems like a bit of an earner for the insurance companies as the costs rocket. In the end I think we all pay in higher insurance costs each year.More background to the car hire costs which can tie you in to a squabble between insurance companies over the exorbitant bill.Guardian Car insurance and the little-known world of credit hire companiesA driver who did nothing wrong found herself drawn into a legal action over the £4,000 hire of a courtesy vehicle

Well this is my concern what happens if there is any problem with the 3rd party insurer..? The car is probably a write off so may be I'll be getting a Quicker decision from the insurance...
a.19831106/07/2019 07:17

Well this is my concern what happens if there is any problem with the 3rd …Well this is my concern what happens if there is any problem with the 3rd party insurer..? The car is probably a write off so may be I'll be getting a Quicker decision from the insurance...

Mine paid out very quickly and generously once the car was collected.
a.19831106/07/2019 07:17

Well this is my concern what happens if there is any problem with the 3rd …Well this is my concern what happens if there is any problem with the 3rd party insurer..? The car is probably a write off so may be I'll be getting a Quicker decision from the insurance...

Exact same thing happened on my jazz but passenger side and back wheel arch. It was written off but other sides insurance paid out
davewave06/07/2019 07:24

Mine paid out very quickly and generously once the car was collected.

Thanks, My insurance is with Esure... Would you mind asking how long it took for you to get a decision on that...?
a.19831106/07/2019 07:45

Thanks, My insurance is with Esure... Would you mind asking how long it …Thanks, My insurance is with Esure... Would you mind asking how long it took for you to get a decision on that...?

It was about a week. You should call them though. The big firms are keen to provide an excellent claims process, in my experience .
davewave06/07/2019 08:10

It was about a week. You should call them though. The big firms are keen …It was about a week. You should call them though. The big firms are keen to provide an excellent claims process, in my experience .

Ok.. will see.. and think I am going to hold off taking the hire car as I may be able to manage with the other car.. also did they offer you buyback option..?
Yesgo06/07/2019 07:39

Exact same thing happened on my jazz but passenger side and back wheel …Exact same thing happened on my jazz but passenger side and back wheel arch. It was written off but other sides insurance paid out

Oh. Ok.. Who is the Insurer.. did they offer you buy back option...?
a.19831106/07/2019 00:08

Thanks.. they just sent me the docs for hire car and I generally don't …Thanks.. they just sent me the docs for hire car and I generally don't like driving other cars... Love my Jazz hope they don't write it off...:-(

don't know how new your jazz was but if it's fairly new and worth an ok amount the only reason they would write it off is if they think the repairs will take a long time and the cost of the hire car(plus repairs) is going to outweigh the value of the car

if it's fairly old it's almost certainly a write off, garages the insurers use will only use new parts which then require painting so you have the cost of the part, the labour involved in prepping for paint, labour for painting, labour for fitting etc

if they write it off though you can likely buy it back at an ok price and get it repaired privately with parts off ebay or from the scrapyard, but it'll be cat s or n
murtgurge06/07/2019 08:17

don't know how new your jazz was but if it's fairly new and worth an ok …don't know how new your jazz was but if it's fairly new and worth an ok amount the only reason they would write it off is if they think the repairs will take a long time and the cost of the hire car(plus repairs) is going to outweigh the value of the carif it's fairly old it's almost certainly a write off, garages the insurers use will only use new parts which then require painting so you have the cost of the part, the labour involved in prepping for paint, labour for painting, labour for fitting etcif they write it off though you can likely buy it back at an ok price and get it repaired privately with parts off ebay or from the scrapyard, but it'll be cat s or n

It's a 2010 model and 102000 on clock.. probably about £2.5k
Just called them and they said the third party is Admiral.... she agreed it's her fault(With me) and there is an evidance, the picutres also shows nothing suspicious... (My car is on my side of road, her car is in opposite direction...)
a.19831106/07/2019 08:11

Ok.. will see.. and think I am going to hold off taking the hire car as I …Ok.. will see.. and think I am going to hold off taking the hire car as I may be able to manage with the other car.. also did they offer you buyback option..?

No, but you should defo ask.
a.19831106/07/2019 09:07

Just called them and they said the third party is Admiral.... she agreed …Just called them and they said the third party is Admiral.... she agreed it's her fault(With me) and there is an evidance, the picutres also shows nothing suspicious... (My car is on my side of road, her car is in opposite direction...)

I thought insurance companies advise you to never admit fault, you may find that once she has spoken to her insurance she no longer admits fault. This is where even a cheap dash cam would come in handy.
SOUTHWALES06/07/2019 09:22

I thought insurance companies advise you to never admit fault, you may …I thought insurance companies advise you to never admit fault, you may find that once she has spoken to her insurance she no longer admits fault. This is where even a cheap dash cam would come in handy.

Thanks, Just looking into dashcam, while checking this, However I have an witness and she is compltely opposite direction of road, I am just about 1/2 feet away from my side kerb...
SOUTHWALES06/07/2019 09:22

I thought insurance companies advise you to never admit fault, you may …I thought insurance companies advise you to never admit fault, you may find that once she has spoken to her insurance she no longer admits fault. This is where even a cheap dash cam would come in handy.

I've had two no fault accidents and neither driver backed away from fault tbh, so OP might be totally fine.
davewave06/07/2019 10:14

I've had two no fault accidents and neither driver backed away from fault …I've had two no fault accidents and neither driver backed away from fault tbh, so OP might be totally fine.

Ok.. did your insurance premiums raised a lot then..?
a.19831106/07/2019 10:29

Ok.. did your insurance premiums raised a lot then..?

No but a little higher.
Always and I mean ALWAYS go via the insurer and follow their advice.I was involved in an at fault accident where I backed into another car 3 weeks ago today and left a note for the driver as I didnt know who's car it was, eventually saw him go to the car, lovely bloke a priest and I swapped details face to face, his car only suffered minor damage (scuffs to the bumper cover and a couple of dimples), mine it shattered the rear wing (fibreglass) into about 5 sections

When I contacted my insurers they passed it on to their total loss department as they thought it would be uneconomical (yikes) who sent their engineer out to look at it (I had patched it up as a temp fix in the meantime after getting their OK) their engineer came out and agreed on the spot that they would pay out £400 (minus my £100 excess which I have a separate policy covering that cost £5 a year so will get that back)for my repairs and I could either DIY or use a garage of my choice, never heard of insurers paying out cash like that for repairs. All in its costing me about £100 to do it myself. Kept in touch with the other guy they have also paid out cash to him.

It helped speed things up because I admitted fault.

OP if its a write off is it a car you like and worth fixing if its only cosmetic? May be worth trying to buy back and fixing yourself if you have the skills or now someone willing to help. Price the parts up used on ebay just make sure there is no unseen damage first.

Having said that I dont think the 3rd party insurers have the ability to deem your car a write off against your wishes if its only deemed as uneconomical as they carry no financial interest in your car, only if it really is un-fixable due to severe structural damage that would leave the car compromised and they have a duty to leave you in the same situation as you was prior to the accident.

I have run further quotes for insurance out of curiosity to see how it will affect my insurance and its only shown an increase of about £40 so not too bad. My insurance are aegis through adrian flux.
harlzter06/07/2019 11:48

Always and I mean ALWAYS go via the insurer and follow their advice.I was …Always and I mean ALWAYS go via the insurer and follow their advice.I was involved in an at fault accident where I backed into another car 3 weeks ago today and left a note for the driver as I didnt know who's car it was, eventually saw him go to the car, lovely bloke a priest and I swapped details face to face, his car only suffered minor damage (scuffs to the bumper cover and a couple of dimples), mine it shattered the rear wing (fibreglass) into about 5 sections When I contacted my insurers they passed it on to their total loss department as they thought it would be uneconomical (yikes) who sent their engineer out to look at it (I had patched it up as a temp fix in the meantime after getting their OK) their engineer came out and agreed on the spot that they would pay out £400 (minus my £100 excess which I have a separate policy covering that cost £5 a year so will get that back)for my repairs and I could either DIY or use a garage of my choice, never heard of insurers paying out cash like that for repairs. All in its costing me about £100 to do it myself. Kept in touch with the other guy they have also paid out cash to him. It helped speed things up because I admitted fault. OP if its a write off is it a car you like and worth fixing if its only cosmetic? May be worth trying to buy back and fixing yourself if you have the skills or now someone willing to help. Price the parts up used on ebay just make sure there is no unseen damage first.Having said that I dont think the 3rd party insurers have the ability to deem your car a write off against your wishes if its only deemed as uneconomical as they carry no financial interest in your car, only if it really is un-fixable due to severe structural damage that would leave the car compromised and they have a duty to leave you in the same situation as you was prior to the accident. I have run further quotes for insurance out of curiosity to see how it will affect my insurance and its only shown an increase of about £40 so not too bad. My insurance are aegis through adrian flux.

Thanks.. well I renewed about 2 months back.. so another 10 months to worry about... Decided not taking the hire car as I may have decision from the accident repair by Monday then will decide if I need one...
Remember to claim your excess back from the third party. I asked my insurance company to claim it back and I also contacted the third parties insurance to try and speed things up. I sent my dash cam footage to my insurance and there's. Took about 4 months due to third party not responding. I received my excess back from both insurance companies! So bonus

Declaring the accident actually made my renewal cheaper when using comparison websites, Same insurance company too so it doesn't always rise.
.MUFC.06/07/2019 11:59

Remember to claim your excess back from the third party. I asked my …Remember to claim your excess back from the third party. I asked my insurance company to claim it back and I also contacted the third parties insurance to try and speed things up. I sent my dash cam footage to my insurance and there's. Took about 4 months due to third party not responding. I received my excess back from both insurance companies! So bonus Declaring the accident actually made my renewal cheaper when using comparison websites, Same insurance company too so it doesn't always rise.

Yeah it's always a lottery with the insurance.. my Insurance told I don't have to pay any excess..
a.19831106/07/2019 12:03

Yeah it's always a lottery with the insurance.. my Insurance told I don't …Yeah it's always a lottery with the insurance.. my Insurance told I don't have to pay any excess..

That's good, I had to pay it when I had my car repaired, I went through Auxillis too. It was only a scrape down the rear of my car, Had it repaired by autoglass body repairs. Sadly the repair blistered so had to have it redone, Now it's a bit discoloured, it's a white car and it's tinged yellow Fortunately it's got a lifetime warranty on the work so can have it sorted whenever I want. Going to wait until I'm ready to sell the car and get them to sort it again as it really doesn't bother me.
a.19831106/07/2019 12:03

Yeah it's always a lottery with the insurance.. my Insurance told I don't …Yeah it's always a lottery with the insurance.. my Insurance told I don't have to pay any excess..

And neither should you, at non fault claims the excess is paid only by the policy holder on the policy being claimed on. In effect you are not making any claim on your insurance, they are simply handling the claim on your behalf.
Esure wrote my car off and paid out less than half what it would cost for a similar one. Went to the financial ombudsmen they admitted they always side with the insurance companies, even when I gave loads of evidence. I hope you have better luck!
deleted67360
a.19831106/07/2019 08:22

It's a 2010 model and 102000 on clock.. probably about £2.5k

Write off! Do't think they will repair it
I used to work for Auxillis as a delivery driver for 13 years until i left recently in april. Any questions let me know, bear in mind your insurance have a contract with Auxillis and asked them to contact you.
If you dont want to use them contact third party direct but it will all be much slower
Mark_Hickman06/07/2019 19:27

I used to work for Auxillis as a delivery driver for 13 years until i left …I used to work for Auxillis as a delivery driver for 13 years until i left recently in april. Any questions let me know, bear in mind your insurance have a contract with Auxillis and asked them to contact you.If you dont want to use them contact third party direct but it will all be much slower

Hi Mark, Thanks the only thing concerning me to take the hire car is if the other car takes too long to fix and then I'll end up in more trouble by keeping the hire car for longer.. I should have an update from the accident repair centre on Monday so I am hoping I can update Auxllis if I want the hire car on that day or not... If they deemed as a total loss I believe it will not take very long for cash payment from insurance is it true..?
a.19831106/07/2019 19:54

Hi Mark, Thanks the only thing concerning me to take the hire car is if …Hi Mark, Thanks the only thing concerning me to take the hire car is if the other car takes too long to fix and then I'll end up in more trouble by keeping the hire car for longer.. I should have an update from the accident repair centre on Monday so I am hoping I can update Auxllis if I want the hire car on that day or not... If they deemed as a total loss I believe it will not take very long for cash payment from insurance is it true..?

I cant really answer your question as i dont know if the collection and repair of your vehicle was arranged by Auxillis or not ?
Also it depends on the contract your insurance have with them, normally in a write off Auxillis pay you out for your car and then claim it back from the third party and from experience it would take about 7 days to receive your cheque after a figure has been agreed on, unless they offer you bacs transfer these days.
If garage can repair and estimate your repair at a reasonable time scale then it should be ok to take car but some repairs take months if theres a huge back log of cars waiting for repair at your chosen body shop and your cars a big job. In these cases the hire charges are between £2-5k and this is when the third party try to avoid it and go to court sometimes, which is what you want to avoid.
But in most cases, cars are repaired within a few weeks and charges around £1k for car and third party pay out no probs.
Also they deliver around 600 hire cars per day
And i only had an upset customer on the odd occasion so dont worry to much about reviews they are a very small percentage and most i had were customers in the wrong trying to cover it up.
For example people get a valeted car and fuel and return it empty and filthy or full of fag ash stinking and kick off because i charged them and claim it was delivered that way, then proceed to tell all their mates its a dodgy company lol.
Mark_Hickman06/07/2019 20:43

I cant really answer your question as i dont know if the collection and …I cant really answer your question as i dont know if the collection and repair of your vehicle was arranged by Auxillis or not ?Also it depends on the contract your insurance have with them, normally in a write off Auxillis pay you out for your car and then claim it back from the third party and from experience it would take about 7 days to receive your cheque after a figure has been agreed on, unless they offer you bacs transfer these days. If garage can repair and estimate your repair at a reasonable time scale then it should be ok to take car but some repairs take months if theres a huge back log of cars waiting for repair at your chosen body shop and your cars a big job. In these cases the hire charges are between £2-5k and this is when the third party try to avoid it and go to court sometimes, which is what you want to avoid.But in most cases, cars are repaired within a few weeks and charges around £1k for car and third party pay out no probs.Also they deliver around 600 hire cars per day And i only had an upset customer on the odd occasion so dont worry to much about reviews they are a very small percentage and most i had were customers in the wrong trying to cover it up.For example people get a valeted car and fuel and return it empty and filthy or full of fag ash stinking and kick off because i charged them and claim it was delivered that way, then proceed to tell all their mates its a dodgy company lol.

Ah.. thanks mate... Auxllis is not doing the repair.. would you mind reaveling who will do the rental cars...? The only reason I thought is just incase if I have any issues with the rental car like scratches etc then it will be more of a trouble to sort..
a.19831106/07/2019 21:20

Ah.. thanks mate... Auxllis is not doing the repair.. would you mind …Ah.. thanks mate... Auxllis is not doing the repair.. would you mind reaveling who will do the rental cars...? The only reason I thought is just incase if I have any issues with the rental car like scratches etc then it will be more of a trouble to sort..

Auxillis have their own cars, they have over 20 branches nationwide, i worked at Birmingham branch which is the busiest and we delivered an average of 40-60 cars per day and when i left they had about 500 cars out on hire just at Birmingham, so its a very big company probably at least 10,000 cars on hire at all times.
If you take out the car its not like some dodgy company who try to charge for a little scratch, or invent some damage, normally its just if you dont have a good look and the drivers old and blind or rushing as they are over worked hugely ( reason i left ) then things get missed.
However its a lot of hassle to report damage, takes 20 minute call to head office and makes you finish late, so most will just turn a blind eye if its minor or like myself check the previous hire diagram to see if it was there on the last collection.
Best thing to do is take a good video of the car walk round, record every panel and wheel and windows and check for cracks under wipers etc and then if anything comes up you have it on video what was already there, theres no reason to worry but obviously if you do damage the car or it gets vandalised you will have an excess to pay, usually 150 or 250 depending on age.
However they offer you a damage waiver before delivery, covers body, wheels, windows and interior, it used to be £60 when i left and then you have no excess but are responsible for tyres still. Maybe you could try to claim that back from third party but i wouldnt take it just make a good clear video of body work and interior
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants