Ios to android

Found 28th Oct 2017
Has anyone on here recently moved from ios to android? Thinking of making the switch after using ios since the iphone 3gs. Would like to hear off someone who has recently made the switch and if your regretting it or not. Would be switching from a 6s to s8+
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
I went from a 5 to a galaxy s6 and I didn’t get on with android even though before my iPhone 5 I loved my galaxy s3!

I think its difficult to move from what you are used to because I spent all my time comparing it. I’m back on my iPhone now
I’m the same. I switched from an iPhone 6 to the Samsung S6 Edge. The phone was great, the camera was amazing and the whole experience was spoilt by Android.

Things would crash regularly, I’d get system messages that I didn’t understand without googling and I just didn’t like the look and feel of it. I found there was too much choice almost with the way I could set things up. I appreciate that’s a real personal thing, but it put me off. I’m quite happy with someone at Apple deciding for me, especially as I tend to agree with them.

I stuck it out for 7 months and then went back to a 6S and I won’t go back unless Apple disappear or it turns out they eat babies at their board meetings or something similar. It also helps that everything in our house is Apple so syncing stuff up is an absolute breeze.

Try it by all means, but you might well be back. The other thing to bear in mind is that if you buy a Samsung or similar it won’t be worth as much when you come to sell it on as a similarly priced iPhone. They just don’t hold their value.

It’s a shame because the S8 looks like a great phone, but I won’t have one because of the OS
Have a personal iPhone 7 and a Samsung from work. Cannot stand the Samsung, tried to make the android look like IOS but feel and function is just not “it”
Original Poster
Thanks for your replies, think im gonna stick with apple and either get the 7 plus or the 8 plus. Thanks again really appreciate it 🏻
Cakeboy793 h, 29 m ago

I’m the same. I switched from an iPhone 6 to the Samsung S6 Edge. The p …I’m the same. I switched from an iPhone 6 to the Samsung S6 Edge. The phone was great, the camera was amazing and the whole experience was spoilt by Android. Things would crash regularly, I’d get system messages that I didn’t understand without googling and I just didn’t like the look and feel of it. I found there was too much choice almost with the way I could set things up. I appreciate that’s a real personal thing, but it put me off. I’m quite happy with someone at Apple deciding for me, especially as I tend to agree with them. I stuck it out for 7 months and then went back to a 6S and I won’t go back unless Apple disappear or it turns out they eat babies at their board meetings or something similar. It also helps that everything in our house is Apple so syncing stuff up is an absolute breeze. Try it by all means, but you might well be back. The other thing to bear in mind is that if you buy a Samsung or similar it won’t be worth as much when you come to sell it on as a similarly priced iPhone. They just don’t hold their value. It’s a shame because the S8 looks like a great phone, but I won’t have one because of the OS

I love the look of the S8 edge much more than that awful looking iPhone X. Comparable apps on the shiny new android phone look rubbish and just don’t function up to their full potential because of the one Fits all approach.

“Unfortunately System UI has stopped” every once in a while it’s just frustrating and on top of it all after 2 years at the latest it stops receiving updates and becomes obsolete.

its just not for me
Lol at all you sheep, liking iPhones because they decide for you lol. My Moto Z hasn't crashed once. It works as it should, I restored from my previous android backup from my Nexus 5X. Google have services similar to Apples but there are alternatives too. Ok I prefer vanilla Android as it's clean. Nexus devices are supported for just as long as Apple devices. The greatest thing about Android are the choices, You can spend as little as £30 for a crap one and £800 for a top of the range one. Apple are all the same and don't give me the bull that iOS is perfect because it's not, iOS 11.0.3 has killed my friends iPhone 7 and cause battery drain and freezing problems on my daughter's iPhone 6. Yeah having a smaller range of mobiles means it's easier to make it work so can be optimised easier than Android but iOS is rather generic and boring and hasn't changed much since the iPhone 1st gen.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 29th Oct 2017
Firstly I'd say it depends how much you have invested in the whole Apple Ecosystem with other devices. Now comparing coming from a "clean OS", my previous device was a Nexus 6P and comparing that to changing to the S8+, while it has lots of features the clean OS doesn't, which mostly all really do make the device easier to use and have more functionality I'm with Cakeboy on this one that the sheer amount of options and customisations can be overwhelming and frustrating when you trying to do what you would feel be a simple task, when presented with a zillion options. Now upon saying that, it was my first impressions now after a few weeks I'm warming to the extra options and the intergration options with smart things, DEX station etc. Windows has also upped its game with android apps and jumping across platforms from working/editing on android and seemingly moving across to work on same thing from desktop.
Never had any of the errors the others where talking about or app crashing. Also depends on needs as presonally I need android for some work apps which need to be sideloaded,Apple is way behind on this side of the fence.
cecilmcroberts7 m ago

Firstly I'd say it depends how much you have invested in the whole Apple …Firstly I'd say it depends how much you have invested in the whole Apple Ecosystem with other devices. Now comparing coming from a "clean OS", my previous device was a Nexus 6P and comparing that to changing to the S8+, while it has lots of features the clean OS doesn't, which mostly all really do make the device easier to use and have more functionality I'm with Cakeboy on this one that the sheer amount of options and customisations can be overwhelming and frustrating when you trying to do what you would feel be a simple task, when presented with a zillion options. Now upon saying that, it was my first impressions now after a few weeks I'm warming to the extra options and the intergration options with smart things, DEX station etc. Windows has also upped its game with android apps and jumping across platforms from working/editing on android and seemingly moving across to work on same thing from desktop. Never had any of the errors the others where talking about or app crashing. Also depends on needs as presonally I need android for some work apps which need to be sideloaded,Apple is way behind on this side of the fence.

Thing is, There are lot's of choices for a good reason, Sure it can be overwhelming at first but you soon get used to it, Once you've set your device up that's pretty much it. If you don't like the default app there are plenty of alternatives which can only be a good thing. Sure most default Apple apps are well designed and work well but so do google variants in most cases. Sure when it comes to different manufacturers customization i,e Samsung android does become a little messy. Vanilla android would probably be the best option especially if switching from an iPhone.
Went from IPhone 4s to Samsung note 3, never went back. The freedom on android was enough to make me stay.

Side loading, roms, emulators. Having no restriction where I felt it was limiting my device. A perfect system for me.

Has s6 edge and now the S8. Been tempted to go for an iPhone based on the camera and slow motion appeal. But since the Samsung S7 they've caught up with the 240fps/720p.

The thing with android is, and I'm guessing the above haven't looked into. Is it you don't like it, get a launcher and try again. You just repeat that till you find what feels right.

I use NOVA launcher and added my own swipe gestures for this and that. A clean home page and I feel right at home.

Swipe up anywhere and the app folder opens. Swipe down for my task bar.

Little android guy is my system refresh icon, closes back ground apps etc. Dice is Google's random song player. Also stole the Google pixels 2 motion wallpaper.

32330724-tegSs.jpg
.MUFC.12 m ago

Thing is, There are lot's of choices for a good reason, Sure it can be …Thing is, There are lot's of choices for a good reason, Sure it can be overwhelming at first but you soon get used to it, Once you've set your device up that's pretty much it. If you don't like the default app there are plenty of alternatives which can only be a good thing. Sure most default Apple apps are well designed and work well but so do google variants in most cases. Sure when it comes to different manufacturers customization i,e Samsung android does become a little messy. Vanilla android would probably be the best option especially if switching from an iPhone.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Although unsure how much to recommend Pixel 2/XL after the numerous screen burn in issues. It was the first device on my own short list, though the Infinity display on the S8+ is what swayed my own choice, actually though the screen on the Pixel 2's was abit of a letdown coming from my 6P would have been expecting more. As you say though for the normal usuer once you have everything setup hardly anyone changes it, afraid I need to for testing 3rd party work apps. Always see the same comments when comparing Apple to Android, comparing a closed OS to an open OS, comparing a closed OS on a device built to run that OS only, when really to compare it should be from the Pixel/Nexus devices. Although have you noticed lately the Pixel's actually are not clean android anymore, they have functions available to only the Pixel range (yes some do end up in others after a while) unlike the Nexus devices previously. Read an article lately where they said "Stock Android is no longer the best version".
Don't own any of the current up to date phones or tablets but have owned an iphone, ipads, android phones, a Fire tablet and Android boxes.

To be honest they all have been very good. All have taken a while to get used to but once familiar have found both iOS and Android versions excellent.

I would never rubbish either OS - in my opinion anyone who does so just hasn't invested sufficient time to become familiar with it.

I am now predominately Android - why - mainly price! I consider Apple products to be grossly overpriced - which they will continue to be as long as their fanclub refused to consider alternatives.
kos1c15 m ago

Went from IPhone 4s to Samsung note 3, never went back. The freedom on …Went from IPhone 4s to Samsung note 3, never went back. The freedom on android was enough to make me stay. Side loading, roms, emulators. Having no restriction where I felt it was limiting my device. A perfect system for me. Has s6 edge and now the S8. Been tempted to go for an iPhone based on the camera and slow motion appeal. But since the Samsung S7 they've caught up with the 240fps/720p. The thing with android is, and I'm guessing the above haven't looked into. Is it you don't like it, get a launcher and try again. You just repeat that till you find what feels right. I use NOVA launcher and added my own swipe gestures for this and that. A clean home page and I feel right at home. Swipe up anywhere and the app folder opens. Swipe down for my task bar. Little android guy is my system refresh icon, closes back ground apps etc. Dice is Google's random song player. Also stole the Google pixels 2 motion wallpaper. [Image]

Have tried several launchers, but must admit actually really like the custom app edge options, along with as you say the drag down anywhere on screen for quick settings/notications, really adds value on a large screen device, same with the swipe up for app drawer. My biggest pain though I must admit is really that position for the fingerprint scanner lol. Yes you can use Iris or other unlock options but use fingerprint for banking and other apps instead of password etc. Though do like you idea of the Pixel 2 wallpaper, that's going on my list of to do's for later once I finish work!
cecilmcroberts44 m ago

Have tried several launchers, but must admit actually really like the …Have tried several launchers, but must admit actually really like the custom app edge options, along with as you say the drag down anywhere on screen for quick settings/notications, really adds value on a large screen device, same with the swipe up for app drawer. My biggest pain though I must admit is really that position for the fingerprint scanner lol. Yes you can use Iris or other unlock options but use fingerprint for banking and other apps instead of password etc. Though do like you idea of the Pixel 2 wallpaper, that's going on my list of to do's for later once I finish work!

The finger print scanner is horrible on the S8. Also the iris and facial scanner are a joke. Hardly work for me.

I use the finger print scanner 90% off the time. The rest the lighting was good and the facial scanner found me before I reached the finger print sensor.

I really wish they had the under glass finger print reader ready for the S8.

I really like the Google wallpaper. Can't find the link where I got mine from. But the beach one is really nice compared to the hot air balloon and highway through mountains one.

They fit the display well bearing in mind the aspect ratio.
i am an android fan and can't cope with IOS. i find android so much more user friendly.
mutley11 h, 42 m ago

i am an android fan and can't cope with IOS. i find android so much more …i am an android fan and can't cope with IOS. i find android so much more user friendly.

I don’t think you actually believe this
Ive had an iphone since 3g and owned every iphone except the 7 upwards. Im still using iphone 6s.

I tried using samsung s7 edge and i just couldnt get the fee of it didnt like android.

I would personally stick with ios
Dannyrobbo56 m ago

I don’t think you actually believe this

i say it like it is. this is how it is for me.
kos1c7 h, 41 m ago

The finger print scanner is horrible on the S8. Also the iris and facial …The finger print scanner is horrible on the S8. Also the iris and facial scanner are a joke. Hardly work for me. I use the finger print scanner 90% off the time. The rest the lighting was good and the facial scanner found me before I reached the finger print sensor. I really wish they had the under glass finger print reader ready for the S8. I really like the Google wallpaper. Can't find the link where I got mine from. But the beach one is really nice compared to the hot air balloon and highway through mountains one. They fit the display well bearing in mind the aspect ratio.

The location of the fingerprint sensor isn't great, last two phones have been in the centre of the rear which is my personal preference. But I use the iris scanner most of the time and it works every time without fail. Works when in bed and only light is from a small TV in the distance. Works with sunglasses on. Just works. It's weird because my brother has the same phone and he has bother with his.

I've got the iris scanner setup to press the home button when screen off. The home button is not visible but when you press the area you get a short vibration and the phone unlocks pretty much instantly. I love it.

Oh and the S8 is a great phone. I've had them all from all sides and the screen is unbelievable.
Rusty8249 m ago

The location of the fingerprint sensor isn't great, last two phones have …The location of the fingerprint sensor isn't great, last two phones have been in the centre of the rear which is my personal preference. But I use the iris scanner most of the time and it works every time without fail. Works when in bed and only light is from a small TV in the distance. Works with sunglasses on. Just works. It's weird because my brother has the same phone and he has bother with his.I've got the iris scanner setup to press the home button when screen off. The home button is not visible but when you press the area you get a short vibration and the phone unlocks pretty much instantly. I love it.Oh and the S8 is a great phone. I've had them all from all sides and the screen is unbelievable.

Believe when I tried the iris scanner it took a few seconds to get an unlock. While the finger print reader is almost instant.

The facial detection is hit and miss for me. Sometimes it works wonders other times fails to read my face.

Never had a finger print scanner middle back of the phone. Either been home button or by the camera.

The S8 is a great phone. I'm glad I went with it. Kinda wish I got the plus model for movies. But this is still a huge upgrade over the s6 edge.
I’m in a similar position. Always had iPhones. Simply because they fit best with my life and needs.

One thing I really resent is the people who hate Apple calling Apple users ‘sheep’ or ‘fan clubs’. Could the same be said about those who are so obsessed with hating apple over android.

As an Apple user I’d actually love to switch to a cheaper alternative. I don’t buy Apple because I think it makes me look cool, or have been brainwashed. I have it because of my career and other needs it fulfils my needs best.

That said, I have started to consider a galaxy S8. But I don’t want to spend £689 to find the OS doesn’t meet my needs. It’s basically an expensive test run.

That said, I need a fingerprint scanner because I have memory impairment so need the fingerprint sensor to log into important accounts. No one really has yet launched other methods of secure log in (except so it seems after research, TSB bank in the Uk on their app). So I’m having to think about my options. The X without a fingerprint scanner may be a deal killer for me. I don’t know yet if the other apps I’d need the S8 would allow me to log in using my finger print.

For me it’s a tough call I can’t decide which way to go yet. But more so I’m considering jumping ship to the s8. Trouble is my career and lifestyle is so deeply integrated into iOS and it’s predecessors, its a tough move to make.
iconboy@mac.com10 h, 34 m ago

I’m in a similar position. Always had iPhones. Simply because they fit b …I’m in a similar position. Always had iPhones. Simply because they fit best with my life and needs. One thing I really resent is the people who hate Apple calling Apple users ‘sheep’ or ‘fan clubs’. Could the same be said about those who are so obsessed with hating apple over android. As an Apple user I’d actually love to switch to a cheaper alternative. I don’t buy Apple because I think it makes me look cool, or have been brainwashed. I have it because of my career and other needs it fulfils my needs best. That said, I have started to consider a galaxy S8. But I don’t want to spend £689 to find the OS doesn’t meet my needs. It’s basically an expensive test run. That said, I need a fingerprint scanner because I have memory impairment so need the fingerprint sensor to log into important accounts. No one really has yet launched other methods of secure log in (except so it seems after research, TSB bank in the Uk on their app). So I’m having to think about my options. The X without a fingerprint scanner may be a deal killer for me. I don’t know yet if the other apps I’d need the S8 would allow me to log in using my finger print. For me it’s a tough call I can’t decide which way to go yet. But more so I’m considering jumping ship to the s8. Trouble is my career and lifestyle is so deeply integrated into iOS and it’s predecessors, its a tough move to make.

Why is switching such an issue really?, Ok you could call me an Android fanboy but I'm not really, I just don't see any value in iOS. You soon get used to "play store" instead of "app store". You click an app in the same way on pretty much all platforms. The ability to sideload apps is a bonus. I guess some folk see something they just buy it, On android you can sideload it for free in most cases. Obviously sideloading and being an open OS it does open up vulnerabilities but so long as you're sensible you should be fine. You click "settings" and you'll usually find what you're looking for in a similar way as you would on an iPhone, You soon get used to it. I've had iPhones and the biggest issue for me was the lack of a back button, I guess there are gestures but I could never get used to having no back button. Me personally I had a windows phone for a few years before switching to android and would have stuck with windows had apps been developed to the same standard but sadly a lack of development has made windows phones rather redundant although the OS itself was probably the most fluid of them all.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions