Groups

ip adress

can someone please tell me where i can find what my ip adress is?

29 Comments

Your question has a few answers depending on why you want it! Let me know what you want it for and I'll be able to help.

Banned

Start>run> type CMD then when the black box opens type ipconfig

XboxGuru STFU and tell them...

Original Poster

im trying to set up my wireless laptop connection but i cant get the things to talk to each other so thought maybe if i put the ip adress in the laptop would work

Banned

stainy127;3404561

im trying to set up my wireless laptop connection but i cant get the … im trying to set up my wireless laptop connection but i cant get the things to talk to each other so thought maybe if i put the ip adress in the laptop would work

how are you trying to get them to "talk to each other" and what operating systems are they using?

Original Poster

thankx for the help but now it wants the subnet gateway or summut oh well bak to the drawing board

Original Poster

i got a homehub from BT ,my laptop has found the wireless device and says 84% connection spedd 54mbps but when i press connect it cannot contain the ip adress

Banned

stainy127;3404621

i got a homehub from BT ,my laptop has found the wireless device and says … i got a homehub from BT ,my laptop has found the wireless device and says 84% connection spedd 54mbps but when i press connect it cannot contain the ip adress

can you try turning DHCP on in your home hub...

Original Poster

it is on i think. i got the 360 wireless adapter that works ok

If you go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > double click 'Local Area Network' and click 'Support', it will tell you your current network settings (IP, Subnet mask, DNS, Gateway and DHCP server.

U shouldnt really need to IP address to hook it up to a home hub?, as if youve got DHCP running, your IP address is likely to change whenever the PC is turned off and on again. Have you got MAC filtering or typed in your pass key correctly, or WEP key if your using WEP security?

imranmaz;3404550

Startrun type CMD then when the black box opens type ipconfigXboxGuru … Start>run> type CMD then when the black box opens type ipconfigXboxGuru STFU and tell them...

oh, so you knew instinctively that the OP wanted their computer's IP Address? Well done - pass me the crystal ball next time.

As dcx_badass correctly indicated, it could have been a number of addresses, including the external IP Address which your ISP gives you.

Next time, take your own advice and STFU if you know nothing about a subject!

stainy127;3404621

i got a homehub from BT ,my laptop has found the wireless device and says … i got a homehub from BT ,my laptop has found the wireless device and says 84% connection spedd 54mbps but when i press connect it cannot contain the ip adress

A typical reason why the IP address cannot be given to a computer on the wireless network is when you've entered the WEP/WPA key incorrectly.

Re-check the WEP/WPA key, re-enter it and go from there. Leave the network settings to automatic for now on your laptop (as your 360's obviously getting an address automatically so something's working!).

Xb0xGuru;3405550

A typical reason why the IP address cannot be given to a computer on the … A typical reason why the IP address cannot be given to a computer on the wireless network is when you've entered the WEP/WPA key incorrectly.Re-check the WEP/WPA key, re-enter it and go from there. Leave the network settings to automatic for now on your laptop (as your 360's obviously getting an address automatically so something's working!).

Exactly what I was going to say, it's confusing as the laptop looks like it's connected as it will show as being associated and give a signal strength but will claim it is unable to get an IP address.

John

Banned

Have you pressed the pairing button on the homehub & tried to connect the lappy?

If i remember right the ip address of the homehub should be 192.168.1.254

so set your pc
    ip 192.168.1.1
    subnet 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.254

dns 192.168.1.1
    (or if you know both isps dns address can put them in)

djnaff;3406273

If i remember right the ip address of the homehub should be … If i remember right the ip address of the homehub should be 192.168.1.254so set your pc ip 192.168.1.1subnet 255.255.255.0gateway 192.168.1.254dns 192.168.1.1(or if you know both isps dns address can put them in)

Pretty sure that won't work as 192.168.1.1 is reserved. I would say to try..

IP : 192.168.1.200 (Homehub allows static from 164-253 even though its also in the dhcp pool)
    DNS : 192.168.1.254

:thumbsup:

By the way, if using Vista, these numbers need enering into TCPv4 not v6.

djnaff;3406273

If i remember right the ip address of the homehub should be … If i remember right the ip address of the homehub should be 192.168.1.254so set your pc ip 192.168.1.1subnet 255.255.255.0gateway 192.168.1.254dns 192.168.1.1(or if you know both isps dns address can put them in)

I don't think manual IP addressing is the way to go as I believe the problem is the wireless but these settings definitely wouldn't work - you've set the DNS server the same as the client IP which means the machine is going to try and resolve addresses itself.

Also as Shengis mentions it's never a good idea to set the address as 192.168.1.1 due to this address being commonly used as a router IP address. I tend to go for something in the 100s as that should keep it far away from any DHCP range.

John

i had this problem this week, i hate messing around with settings so i just got someone out to fix it. £60 for half hours work, pricey but at least i knew i wasnt messing my computer up

djnaff;3406273

As I stated earlier, there's no reason to be manually setting IP Addresses. The OP has a 360 wireless adaptor which no doubt is set to automatic and works, therefore DHCP addressing is doing its job. I'd still go with the fact the WEP key has been entered wrongly.

Original Poster

thank you everyone for your replies i just got back now so il try entering the wep key again i bet im doin some tiny little basic mistake somewhere along the line that il kick myself when i find out

Funny enough im having the problem, the internet is connected via main pc, im on laptop wireless, and so is the 360, yet the connection on the laptop drops out sooo much, but shows its connected.

Try restoring the home hub to factory settings, on the older hub hold down the wireless assoc buttin for 10 seconds, on the newer smaller (but not new black hub) put a paper clip into the reset button slot. Worth a try. Have you tried connecting your laptop via ethernet rather than wireless?

amcol;3408237

Funny enough im having the problem, the internet is connected via main … Funny enough im having the problem, the internet is connected via main pc, im on laptop wireless, and so is the 360, yet the connection on the laptop drops out sooo much, but shows its connected.

I had this problem with a USB wifi dongle, everytime I connected a USB device or inserted a memory card I lost connectivity on my PC but the wireless was still connected.

Original Poster

this network key or wep mine is a mixture of 10 letters and numbers ? cos i put that in same as when i did my 360 adapter

It's on the back of the Hub unless you've changed it.

Original Poster

ok hand up im a numpty, points go to xboxguru i had put wrong wep key i been putting a instead of 9 cos of my garbage hand writing.thank you to everyone who tried to help tho

Glad to hear you got it working - at least you'll know now in future if you're having trouble connecting again.

John

stainy127;3408592

ok hand up im a numpty, points go to xboxguru i had put wrong wep key i … ok hand up im a numpty, points go to xboxguru i had put wrong wep key i been putting a instead of 9 cos of my garbage hand writing.thank you to everyone who tried to help tho

Glad you got it sorted
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2481
      2. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7201356
      3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2976
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047151

See more discussions