IP Camera Android App

Posted 30th Jul
Hi, I have a old IPCamera and the app no longer works on Android.

I can still access it through a browser at home and away from home set to a specific port but an app would make things easier

Im currently trying an app called TinyCam this works when Im connected to the home network but when I add my connections IP address and port to connect to it from outside the network it says

CAMERA DOES NOT SUPPORT RTSP STREAMING

Yet it works ok when on the home network or through a browser...

Any ideas?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
From outside you'll call that camera via your public IP (if you have a fixed one) or DDNS and the camera port (which has to be forwarded).
TobyZ30/07/2020 16:31

...and you can give a try to this app: …...and you can give a try to this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.biyee.onvifer

Thanks will try that app.

Yea already set the port up following a netgear guide to port 3333

Annoying thing is Im out of mobile data so have to wait until tomorrow at work the see if I can connect from outside the network lol
Thanks
Steve-O.200830/07/2020 20:08

Thanks will try that app. Yea already set the port up following a netgear …Thanks will try that app. Yea already set the port up following a netgear guide to port 3333Annoying thing is Im out of mobile data so have to wait until tomorrow at work the see if I can connect from outside the network lolThanks

Do you know your public IP or have a DDNS already set ?

Another option is to set a VPN server on your LAN and then connect the phone to that LAN via VPN.
Yea already got the public IP from the router which works to connect to it from outside the home network but only through a web browser.

Like I said in original post, I can connect to the camera via a web browser at home or out at work but just couldnt get an app to connect to it outside the home network

Thanks again
TobyZ30/07/2020 22:12

Do you know your public IP or have a DDNS already set ?Another option is …Do you know your public IP or have a DDNS already set ?Another option is to set a VPN server on your LAN and then connect the phone to that LAN via VPN.

Thanks again sorted the problem had to open port 554 as well, its working now on TinyCam and Onvifer.

I like Onvifer but i like the direction movement controller of TinyCam... Is it possible to change the movement controller Onvifer? (TinyCam has diagonal movement buttons and I think smaller movement steps)

Thanks
TobyZ30/07/2020 22:12

Do you know your public IP or have a DDNS already set ?Another option is …Do you know your public IP or have a DDNS already set ?Another option is to set a VPN server on your LAN and then connect the phone to that LAN via VPN.

Also how secure are these cameras?. Im guessing anyone that knows my IP could technically connect to it?
Steve-O.200831/07/2020 10:27

Also how secure are these cameras?. Im guessing anyone that knows my IP …Also how secure are these cameras?. Im guessing anyone that knows my IP could technically connect to it?

Theoretically you have an username + password; in reality some cameras can be easily hacked, while others run services with no security at all ...but they are cheap.
One solution is to blacklist them at gateway level and set your own VPN server in order to access them from outside.
TobyZ31/07/2020 23:30

Theoretically you have an username + password; in reality some cameras can …Theoretically you have an username + password; in reality some cameras can be easily hacked, while others run services with no security at all ...but they are cheap.One solution is to blacklist them at gateway level and set your own VPN server in order to access them from outside.

Thanks is there really any security risk even if someone does want to access my camera aiming into my garden? All they are going to see is my drive and garden...

Or is it mainly just a risk if your using them as say a baby monitor?
Steve-O.200801/08/2020 11:58

Thanks is there really any security risk even if someone does want to …Thanks is there really any security risk even if someone does want to access my camera aiming into my garden? All they are going to see is my drive and garden... Or is it mainly just a risk if your using them as say a baby monitor?

As long as your hardware doesn't allow to be accessed, mainly by some third party, and run custom scripts (which then could try to attack/get info about your network from inside), then it should not be any problem; there are exploits on the Internet which you could use and test by yourself on that hardware.
Otherwise, it's just a matter of privacy, as you mentioned.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 3rd Aug
TobyZ03/08/2020 16:01

As long as your hardware doesn't allow to be accessed, mainly by some …As long as your hardware doesn't allow to be accessed, mainly by some third party, and run custom scripts (which then could try to attack/get info about your network from inside), then it should not be any problem; there are exploits on the Internet which you could use and test by yourself on that hardware.Otherwise, it's just a matter of privacy, as you mentioned.

Got a problem again lol

Found out my IP isnt static every 3 or so days it changes. Set up a free DDNS with NoIP.com and put the DDNS details into my router on the DDNS settings page.

I can connect to the camera via a web browser using the DDNS domain address i set up but the Apps dont seem to work with the address :-(

Is there any other ports I would need to open when using the DDNS method or should this not matter?
Thanks
Its ok sorted itself out... Restarted the router and now its working... Thanks

But another question which I think I might know the answer too. Im guessing if I want to add another camera I need to change the port numbers on the other camera to say 1019 instead of 1018? And open port 1019 up etc?

Thanks
Steve-O.200813/08/2020 14:12

Its ok sorted itself out... Restarted the router and now its working... …Its ok sorted itself out... Restarted the router and now its working... ThanksBut another question which I think I might know the answer too. Im guessing if I want to add another camera I need to change the port numbers on the other camera to say 1019 instead of 1018? And open port 1019 up etc? Thanks

slow reply :)), but you are right about the ports.
Post a comment
@
    Text