IP cameras

Posted 12th Nov
There has been a whole plethora of IP cameras listed on here recently at very decent prices.

I'm after a cheap camera - quality doesn't need to be fantastic. So that I can monitor my 3D printer from another room.

I'm currently using an app called "At home" which has a streamer app running on an old Amazon fire tablet and the viewer app which runs on my phone.

From what I can tell the video is sent to the cloud and then back to my phone. This would be great if I wanted to monitor when I'm away from the house, but I don't the printer is only ever on if I'm at home. There is a bit of a delay and sometimes it stutters.

What I would like is something that would just work internally through my network to allow me to view a camera. Is this possible? Are there any of the cameras which would work in this way or can anyone recommend an app that would stay internal?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
A straight up ip camera should do the trick, you'll just need an ip camera viewer (I recommend tinycam viewer for android)
And a camera like this one should suffice
ebay.co.uk/itm…VDw
Any IP Camera that supports ONVIF would allow a direct connection using a third party onvif app, or using an app like VLC to view the RTSP stream directly.

Some of the app only P2P IP cameras do connect directly if the camera is on the LAN to reduce overhead on their cloud server, but onvif support is a better option.

You can also get android apps to turn an old phone into a crude IP camera, one I've tried in the past:- play.google.com/sto…cam
esar12/11/2019 23:25

A straight up ip camera should do the trick, you'll just need an ip camera …A straight up ip camera should do the trick, you'll just need an ip camera viewer (I recommend tinycam viewer for android)And a camera like this one should sufficehttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Mini-IP-Camera-WiFi-HD-Home-Security-Night-Vision-Motion-Detection-UK/223315063184?hash=item33fe9d7190:m:m3bJwvYK8uDtFLxLvsvZVDw

£17 seems OTT when there's multiple options significantly less. Random £7 options with comfort of Amazon fulfillment:
amazon.co.uk/dp/…4L/
amazon.co.uk/dp/…MP/
AndyRoyd13/11/2019 01:59

£17 seems OTT when there's multiple options significantly less. Random £7 o …£17 seems OTT when there's multiple options significantly less. Random £7 options with comfort of Amazon fulfillment:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VX6T24L/https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TKY6DMP/

Suppose, but they seem a little too cheap, worth a punt for the op though
I'd also suggest you look up baby monitor apps, don't think they go to the cloud, might be fast enough for the op
esar13/11/2019 02:09

Suppose, but they seem a little too cheap, worth a punt for the op though …Suppose, but they seem a little too cheap, worth a punt for the op though I'd also suggest you look up baby monitor apps, don't think they go to the cloud, might be fast enough for the op

Now that you mention it, a low-cost video baby monitor might actually be the easiest option of all - no IP camera or network needed at all and live stream?
plewis0013/11/2019 02:23

Now that you mention it, a low-cost video baby monitor might actually be …Now that you mention it, a low-cost video baby monitor might actually be the easiest option of all - no IP camera or network needed at all and live stream?

More options for viewing with ip though, phone, tablet or pc / laptop.
Since op has a camera, worth playing around with a few free apps first, loads of "phone ip camera" apps to try for free
esar13/11/2019 02:09

Suppose, but they seem a little too cheap, worth a punt for the op though …Suppose, but they seem a little too cheap, worth a punt for the op though I'd also suggest you look up baby monitor apps, don't think they go to the cloud, might be fast enough for the op

If the £7 solutions are too cheap, would an £11 solution be acceptable? This £11 ONVIF option has benefit of motion tracking enabling the owner to see where it's gone if ever the printer decides to go for a walk around the room amazon.co.uk/dp/…1W/
AndyRoyd13/11/2019 10:22

If the £7 solutions are too cheap, would an £11 solution be acceptable? T …If the £7 solutions are too cheap, would an £11 solution be acceptable? This £11 ONVIF option has benefit of motion tracking enabling the owner to see where it's gone if ever the printer decides to go for a walk around the room https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PFF891W/

They seem to have a long delivery date now (I claim the 5th amendment)
esar13/11/2019 10:54

They seem to have a long delivery date now (I claim the 5th amendment)

Usual result of HUKD popularity: mention a bargain Amazon-fulfilled item and it quickly goes out of stock, leaving a re-stock date and / or les attractive direct supply from (far east) supplier. I hope you enjoy them. So move on to a £12 Amazon-fulfilled item that has benefit of soothing the printer by singing songs to it - what's not to like? amazon.co.uk/dp/…DS/
amazon.co.uk/dp/…G7T
click the promotion and follow instructions
Edited by: "esar" 13th Nov
Ezviz Mini-O or whatever the equivalent now is well priced, decent quality image and within the app there's a LAN-view option.
This type might be good as you've got easy access to the lens and a choice of focal length, although this particular one is just one I had bookmarked and would be overkill, as it has a really decent Sony Starvis sensor for colour vision in low light and also POE aliexpress.com/ite…tml

Could buy a ip camera module with leads and lens etc, and make your own case/mount.
Edited by: "melted" 13th Nov
AndyRoyd13/11/2019 11:24

Usual result of HUKD popularity: mention a bargain Amazon-fulfilled item …Usual result of HUKD popularity: mention a bargain Amazon-fulfilled item and it quickly goes out of stock, leaving a re-stock date and / or les attractive direct supply from (far east) supplier. I hope you enjoy them. So move on to a £12 Amazon-fulfilled item that has benefit of soothing the printer by singing songs to it - what's not to like? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PFWN6DS/

Thanks for all the posts - Will this one or the one posted by esar afterwards definitely work on internal LAN only not recording to SD or going to the cloud and back?
Edited by: "nbuuifx" 13th Nov
nbuuifx13/11/2019 22:57

Thanks for all the posts - Will this one or the one posted by esar …Thanks for all the posts - Will this one or the one posted by esar afterwards definitely work on internal LAN only not recording to SD or going to the cloud and back?

That one does not support onvif, so will only work via its P2P apps. Can't say if their apps search the lan before connecting through their cloud server since I don't have one.

If you get one that supports ONVIF, it will be running a RTSP server on the camera. Some IP cameras also stream RTMP (flash) and Jpeg snapshots. You'll still get a slight lag due to the video processing.
nbuuifx13/11/2019 22:57

Thanks for all the posts - Will this one or the one posted by esar …Thanks for all the posts - Will this one or the one posted by esar afterwards definitely work on internal LAN only not recording to SD or going to the cloud and back?

Stock is too volatile. Latest ONVIF option at £8.21 fulfilled Amazon, qty 09 available at time of this post amazon.co.uk/dp/…H8/ but obvsly be quick if it floats your boat. Also has its own hotspot feature if you can't be bothered playing with ONVIF (maybe re-purpose that Fire tablet to display the stream received via the cam's hotspot, that way there is no bandwidth burden on your existing network).
Still 9 of that one in stock but it is now about £30!

Would have been ideal, thanks for sharing. I'll keep an eye out for something similar!
AndyRoyd13/11/2019 11:24

Usual result of HUKD popularity: mention a bargain Amazon-fulfilled item …Usual result of HUKD popularity: mention a bargain Amazon-fulfilled item and it quickly goes out of stock, leaving a re-stock date and / or les attractive direct supply from (far east) supplier. I hope you enjoy them. So move on to a £12 Amazon-fulfilled item that has benefit of soothing the printer by singing songs to it - what's not to like? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PFWN6DS/

The ones in the link seem to be back in stock, says 2 in stock for about 5 days delivery
nbuuifx15/11/2019 17:48

Still 9 of that one in stock but it is now about £30!Would have been …Still 9 of that one in stock but it is now about £30!Would have been ideal, thanks for sharing. I'll keep an eye out for something similar!

Stock & pricing is volatile. The last week or so has seen some crazy low Amazon-fulfilled pricing on IP cams; there's currently a fisheye IP cam at £5.67 fulfilled Amazon, but not suitable for your application.
The issue with the cheap ones is you don't know what they're doing or where they're going. You connect a 'rogue device' to your WiFi and it could have something running on it to monitor your network and reroute you to a fake page for your bank or transfer all your traffic to a random server but hey you saved £10. It's not worth the risk. I'd use a raspberry pi Zero and a pi camera. You know what it's doing, you have lan only access and can do it all for £20-30.
dcx_badass16/11/2019 13:18

The issue with the cheap ones is you don't know what they're doing or …The issue with the cheap ones is you don't know what they're doing or where they're going. You connect a 'rogue device' to your WiFi and it could have something running on it to monitor your network and reroute you to a fake page for your bank or transfer all your traffic to a random server but hey you saved £10. It's not worth the risk. I'd use a raspberry pi Zero and a pi camera. You know what it's doing, you have lan only access and can do it all for £20-30.

A little over-dramatic & over-priced considering a £3.69 delivered Amazon-fulfilled Prime item can create its own hotspot and doesn't connect to the web. Job done. Dirt cheap. Qty 5 in stock at time of this post so @nbuuifx better be quick at this silly low price:
amazon.co.uk/Sur…93/
archive.is/zZUtG
Yeah check my post over in the discussions there were some ripper deals last night something weird happened on amazon yesterday with some cameras dropped 500% in price!

Glad it wasnt just me that noticed the price hike at 3am this morning!
39126808-XxyNq.jpg
39126808-fnc2N.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants