IP CCTV consolidated control and recording

Found 7th Aug
I'm probably like many on HUKD, a collector of stuff we 'Need' but don't really. Then due to varying deals we splurge on price, before thought....sound about right?

Anyway I have various IP Cameras that are supported by various cloud solutions. Does anyone know of a Software solution that can pull them all together in one App\package and allow for local NAS storage?

For instance I have cameras from Netatmo, TP-link, D-Link, Yi and some non-brands. Also sitting idle is an old Microserver with 8TB of storage. I'd quite like to get them all coordinated and storing to the server. Ideally with remote access from my hardware, not an overseas server.

I'm sure other members have similar needs and wants. For now I've put this in Misc but it'll probably end up in ask.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
This could be the start of an IP CCTV dedicated thread.
I know I'm interested so would be checking this regularly.
Edited by: "Uranus" 7th Aug
Unless the cameras support ONVIF or RTSP the chance of that is pretty much ZERO.

Zoneminder (Linux) and iSpyConnect (Windows) are 2 programs that you can use to record any ONVIF/RTSP compatible CCTV cameras.

Zxtech's HeroSpeed VMS software is another Windows one, also it officially only supports their own cameras of course.

There is an app called Onvifer will allow you to connect a variety of cameras, I'm not sure about storage though. They do a windows version too.
SUMMONER8 m ago

Unless the cameras support ONVIF or RTSP the chance of that is pretty much …Unless the cameras support ONVIF or RTSP the chance of that is pretty much ZERO.Zoneminder (Linux) and iSpyConnect (Windows) are 2 programs that you can use to record any ONVIF/RTSP compatible CCTV cameras.Zxtech's HeroSpeed VMS software is another Windows one, also it officially only supports their own cameras of course.[Image] [Image]

Is there an easy way to identify ONVIF or RTSP support?
Edited by: "Oneday77" 7th Aug
I know lots of the cheaper off brand cameras do usually support RTSP with a little bit of fiddling on the address, I use Homebridge to link unsupported cameras to iPhone using this protocol and I know for sure Netatmo does not support this. I also know that the YI camera does support this in lower firmware versions and it was possible to downgrade.
Cheap cloud cameras are like budget printers that use expensive ink/toner. The manufacturer sells you the camera at cost and then hopes to wring money out of you via a cloud subscription. It is not in their interest to allow you to bypass their cloud service.

After some tinkering I got the RTSP stream on my Xiaomi Fang working. Also I believe that Xiaomi closed that loophole on newer hardware revisions of the camera so that you can no longer do that/load old firmwares onto it.

Edited by: "SUMMONER" 7th Aug
SUMMONER2 m ago

Cheap cloud cameras are like budget printers that use expensive …Cheap cloud cameras are like budget printers that use expensive ink/toner. The manufacturer sells you the camera at cost and then hopes to wring money out of you via a cloud subscription.After some tinkering I got the RTSP stream on my Xiaomi Fang working. Also I believe that Xiaomi closed that loophole on newer hardware revisions of the camera so that you can no longer do that/load old firmwares onto it.[Video]

I understand why they do it. Just very annoying, when you have to use 3-4 apps to check footage. In the end I stop using them. Serves me right.
Also I don’t like being locked into 1 eco system where they could suddenly desupport it.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 7th Aug
Oneday7732 m ago

Is there an easy way to identify ONVIF or RTSP support?

You could try Onvif Device Manager :- sourceforge.net/pro…dm/

You may need to enable Onvif in the settings of some P2P cameras that do support Onvif.

Onvifer, mentioned earlier can also detect most onvif compliant cameras and is a bit more lax on the standard so may support more:-
play.google.com/sto…fer

I think most of these cameras use modules made by just a handful of manufacturers, but usually their P2P apps are locked down to the brand name they are sold under. I did find a generic p2p app that worked with one of mine on play store that would presumably have worked with any based on the same firmware, it had several options omitted from the branded app, although not all worked, unfortunately it has now been pulled.
Edited by: "melted" 7th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants