IP POE Camera - type of ethernet cable? Solid or twisted ?

Posted 21st Aug
I am going to wire up my house with ethernet ports and it seems straight forward - but I cannot decide whether I need solid copper core ethernet cable or twisted pair cable?

I will be powering 2 POE IP outdoor cameras.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Twisted pair is part of standard later CAT spec, although power+cameradata is rarely fussy beyond CAT6A unless there's excessive joints/connections combined with ridiculous lengths and excessive heat.
If you have an OCD issue consider minimum real and credible CAT6A rather than some cheap (or expensive) product that claims to meet CAT6A, with positively and credibly stated spec of twisted pair, solid core, pure copper, shielded, pretty colour, climate-controlled
I think there is some confusion here. All ethernet cable is twisted pair.

I think you are asking about solid vs stranded. Solid - each wire is a single strand. Stranded - each wire is a number of thin strands.

stranded is more flexible and is usually used for patch cables etc. Solid is used only for fixed cables.

A relevant issue is termination.

plugs are generally only good for stranded and sockets will take either but best with solid.

If you are looking to connect cameras then I'd just use standard patch cables.

Are you intending to make up your own cables?
Edited by: "mas99" 21st Aug
If using POE make sure you buy solid copper and not CCA, many 'cheaper' sellers try and palm CCA of as copper so be careful.
I used solid external grade cat5e for internal sockets and the poe cameras.
mas9921/08/2020 14:47

I think there is some confusion here. All ethernet cable is twisted …I think there is some confusion here. All ethernet cable is twisted pair.I think you are asking about solid vs stranded. Solid - each wire is a single strand. Stranded - each wire is a number of thin strands.stranded is more flexible and is usually used for patch cables etc. Solid is used only for fixed cables.A relevant issue is termination.plugs are generally only good for stranded and sockets will take either but best with solid.If you are looking to connect cameras then I'd just use standard patch cables.Are you intending to make up your own cables?

I was just given 100m of solid cable cat 5e - now what are my options for terminating.

I understand at my switch I need a patch panel and then some short patch cables running from the patch panel to the switch.

However it is at the other end I am confused.

The POE camera comes with a rj45 plug so you can connect an rj45 connector into it.

What are my termination options?
bigpappa22/08/2020 02:14

I was just given 100m of solid cable cat 5e - now what are my options for …I was just given 100m of solid cable cat 5e - now what are my options for terminating.I understand at my switch I need a patch panel and then some short patch cables running from the patch panel to the switch.However it is at the other end I am confused.The POE camera comes with a rj45 plug so you can connect an rj45 connector into it.What are my termination options?

Hardwire the 5e to a wall-mounted ethernet socket. If you're not hardcore, bypass the hassle of wallmounting the wallmount socket and just lash the socket on the floor, under rug, or dangle over convenient object. If only marginally hardcore, shove an RJ45 plug on the end of your Crap5 and launch it into an inline RJ45 coupler to mate with the cam's RJ45 to add only a small amount of resistance. Quality RJ45 coupler's are typically 40p+ each delivered when buying in small multiples; random example at under £2 delivered ex-UK for qty 05 ebay.co.uk/itm…306 or qty 10 at £2.45 dlvd ex-UK ebay.co.uk/itm…399
Edited by: "AndyRoyd" 22nd Aug
bigpappa22/08/2020 02:14

I was just given 100m of solid cable cat 5e - now what are my options for …I was just given 100m of solid cable cat 5e - now what are my options for terminating.I understand at my switch I need a patch panel and then some short patch cables running from the patch panel to the switch.However it is at the other end I am confused.The POE camera comes with a rj45 plug so you can connect an rj45 connector into it.What are my termination options?

As Andy says - RJ45 wall mounted socket and a patch cable to the camera. You can put an rj45 plug on solid but you need to buy plugs specifically designed to work with solid cable.
Update - I had a look at the cable - its cat 6 outdoor solid core.

So I need wall mounted sockets for the rooms - do these sockets come with the connector in the back where I punch down the cable or do I need a Union jack which then clips into the wall plate?

So on the other end which connects to the poe switch - I have 2 options - use a patch panel or just put on the correct plugs and plug directly into the switch.

I have 2 locations for my switch - in the cellar and in a store cupboard. how could I wire everything up so I could potentially use both places?
Post a comment
@
    Text