Expired

Ipad 2 - Goin to Oz, should I get one from duty free UK or Malaysia?

11 replies
Found 13th May 2011
hey, I'm off to Oz for 2 weeks at the end of the month flying through Malaysia. I would like to buy my mother an iPad 2 but I don't know the best way to get one tax free and how much I should expect to pay.

Maybe someone knows what the duty free electricals are like Maylaysia airports?

Thanks

11 Comments

If you see one buy it is my advice. Still in very short supply!!!

Original Poster

Thanks.. i did read that you should ring heathrow before leaving on the day to reserve one... dunno if it's worth the risk of trying to get one at the Malaysian airport though?

As I said if you see one get it because if you wait to check prices elsewhere and don't end up finding one you may be disappointed on your way back. Took me ages to track down someone with stock for mine. Found it on John Lewis about 1 in the morning, said they had 10+ in stock so I ordered, when I woke up about 9 the following day and checked they were sold out!! Got mine tho, I'm posting this on it

there not duty free in the airport in uk dixons only take £10ish off depending on model

as we speak argos online have white 16 and 64gb white ipad 2 instock 3g and wifi

The problem with any Grey Imports (outside UK / Europe) is that the manufacturers don't normally cover international warranties, so if the product becomes defective or is damaged you'll have to pay for a repair. It might be advisable to research the product or contact Apple's Customer Service to check if you are covered or warranties are transferrable if anything goes wrong. Also their customer service department or website may have a list of offiicial stockist of the IPad2 in Malaysia.

Original Poster

nemesiz

The problem with any Grey Imports (outside UK / Europe) is that the … The problem with any Grey Imports (outside UK / Europe) is that the manufacturers don't normally cover international warranties, so if the product becomes defective or is damaged you'll have to pay for a repair. It might be advisable to research the product or contact Apple's Customer Service to check if you are covered or warranties are transferrable if anything goes wrong. Also their customer service department or website may have a list of offiicial stockist of the IPad2 in Malaysia.

thanks for this advice

nemesiz

The problem with any Grey Imports (outside UK / Europe) is that the … The problem with any Grey Imports (outside UK / Europe) is that the manufacturers don't normally cover international warranties, so if the product becomes defective or is damaged you'll have to pay for a repair. It might be advisable to research the product or contact Apple's Customer Service to check if you are covered or warranties are transferrable if anything goes wrong. Also their customer service department or website may have a list of offiicial stockist of the IPad2 in Malaysia.

Apples 12 month warranty/guarantee on portable devices is "International".

Basically you can buy anywhere and get repaired wherever you happen to be - so don't worry about where you buy it......

Original Poster

thanks.. i'll be at Kuala Lumpar airport for a few hours..

try it abroad. at the very least you get to play with it and get it slightly cheaper

if not then come back and look for a deal :P

btw international warranty though ipads rarely do break unless you drop them

Original Poster

i guess the only real problem people have is 'bleeding' but as long as you check this before you purchase I agree that not much can go wrong. I'm looking for purchase this for my mum in Brisbane so it will have to be here or KL.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How to remove bar at bottom of screen on ios 11.0.336
    2. Cannot upgrade to iOS 11.0.323
    3. Mobile phone advice710
    4. Christmas presents715

See more discussions