iPad 2 Sky Sports Mobile TV App

27 replies
Found 11th May 2011
Hi All,

Can I ask for advice. I have got a new iPad 2 & loving it.
Best app's so far - Vevo, BBC iPlayer & Words with friends.

I just wanted some advice with some one who has the Sky Sports Moblie TV app for the iPad.

1. By using the HDMI adapter to a TV, can I output sky sports? I.e will it work and has any does it? So what is the quality like?

2. The price to sign up is £35 (new customers) £5 per month for existing. How easy is it to sign up using a mates/family members sky account? Can you pay seperately?

I really want Sky Sports on my iPad and any help is appreciated.
Cheers for all your help.

27 Comments

Original Poster

any advice would be great

1. quality is good, whatever you see on iPad. The pixels are good enough for most tv's. you a output sky sport to your tv.
2. I'm sure you can use your mates account, u'll just need their login details. I don't think you can pay separately as it will be tied to your mates existing subscription and will go through their direct debit.

Original Poster

thanks very much for your advice

Service is tied to device.

I'm not sure on output to a TV if NOT jailbroken. I use my iPhone 4, jailbroken using TVOut2 with the hdmi adapter (outputs at 720p component outputs at 576i/p I think), great picture for £8 month
Edited by: "super_leeds_86" 12th May 2011

Original Poster

oh ok, thats good to know about iphone 4, thanks.

I just want to know specifically about the iPad 2

imalwaysatwork

oh ok, thats good to know about iphone 4, thanks.I just want to know … oh ok, thats good to know about iphone 4, thanks.I just want to know specifically about the iPad 2

well your answer to that is at the moment no, you pay £35 and just watch on the ipad it is subscribed on. When you can jailbreak it you will then have the freedom to use it fully.

Original Poster

i thought that the new HDMI adapter mirrored the exaxt screen of the ipad 2 on a TV irrespective of what is on the screen?

imalwaysatwork

i thought that the new HDMI adapter mirrored the exaxt screen of the ipad … i thought that the new HDMI adapter mirrored the exaxt screen of the ipad 2 on a TV irrespective of what is on the screen?

I was under the impression it's up to the app. Some apps allow it but others dont.

It may have something to do with only paying £8 where as you must either have sky subscribed to get it cheap on the ipad or pay £35 a month.

If you get it update the thread, would be useful to know for sure.

Edited by: "super_leeds_86" 12th May 2011

Original Poster

will do, will keep you posted. hoping to use my best mates sky account

imalwaysatwork

i thought that the new HDMI adapter mirrored the exaxt screen of the ipad … i thought that the new HDMI adapter mirrored the exaxt screen of the ipad 2 on a TV irrespective of what is on the screen?

Yes that is correct, only for the iPad 2,
other phones need to be jailbroken to do that

Original Poster

so in theory i can watch Sky Sports on my 42" TV! I better get testing this out to see what the quality is like.
even better is that I wont have to listen to Andy Gray rambling on about his love for man utd

I can confirm that payments can be made from YOUR account, separate to your mates sky sub - just go through the app to sky payments and change the details

Original Poster

tomwatts

I can confirm that payments can be made from YOUR account, separate to … I can confirm that payments can be made from YOUR account, separate to your mates sky sub - just go through the app to sky payments and change the details

that is what i am talking about! just sweet talking my best mate now...

Original Poster

still not tested this, will hopefully do this soon. Has any one managed to do this?
Ipad Sky Mobile TV app - being watched on a large screen TV.

I have the Sky Mobile App which works excellently on both my iPad 1 and iPhone 4 on a wifi connection and just bought the hdmi adapter. In a nutshell any movies and videos work fine on the big screen but the Sky Channels have the sound through the TV but a blank screen so there is something in the app restricting the viewing on a TV via the adapter. If anyone knows a way round this please post instructions!!!

Original Poster

oh really... that is a gutter! i thought that it worked on a screen as I have seen it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OobTehIeow

Maybe it only works on the ipad2?

Ok just to confirm. I have tried and tested these devices.

iPad 1 and iPhone 4 will need to be Jailbroken and tweaked for HDMI Mirroring to be enabled to its full extent.

iPad 2 works perfectly in all aspects, videos and audio can be played exactly how it displays on the iPad screen.

Original Poster

t

wizzywas

Ok just to confirm. I have tried and tested these devices.iPad 1 and … Ok just to confirm. I have tried and tested these devices.iPad 1 and iPhone 4 will need to be Jailbroken and tweaked for HDMI Mirroring to be enabled to its full extent.iPad 2 works perfectly in all aspects, videos and audio can be played exactly how it displays on the iPad screen.

that sounds amazing, and is the picture quality decent enough to watch west ham struggle in the championship next season??

Bring on the free sky go player!
Edited by: "imalwaysatwork" 30th Jun 2011

Original Poster

anybody know the launch date of SKY GO ipad/iphone app

Sky go app does not play on your tv via hdmi - not impressed!!

Does anybody know a way round this..

Nope. Sky aren't stupid and by letting this stream onto your Telly would lose them alot of subs. Shame though

emmaquy

Sky go app does not play on your tv via hdmi - not impressed!!Does … Sky go app does not play on your tv via hdmi - not impressed!!Does anybody know a way round this..

Is this through a iPad 2???

Original Poster

i was so upset when i got the error message 'HDMI output is not supported by Sky Go'
Any workaround is most appreciated?

The obvious solution is to play sky go through your laptop and connect that to your TV via an S Video cable, but we all want to do it via an iPad..

There is a jailbreak app for that. but the iPad 2 should let u mirror.

you can complain to Sky maybe they will change it for the iPad 2

Original Poster

according to other forums - Av Forums and the Sky Go official forum, there looks like a lot of angry users & HD mirroring is simply not possible :-(

two possible solutions:

Jailbreak and download a Mirroring App

or

Revert back to the standard Sky App

Hi just got iPad 2, apple hdmi connector (35£), but confirm all mirrors onto 42 inch screen EXCEPT sky go!! Sky go Only outputs sound,no vision. Anyone out there with a fix!??

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1318
    2. Heads up - Nintendo Switch Neon Console and Get Lego City Undercover and Ra…45
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…22
    4. Leicester sack their manager!1120

See more discussions