ipad 2018 (6th generation) A1893 digitizer replacement

Posted 8th Mar
Anyone here has experience of replacing the broken screen for ipad ? My ipad which is a 6th generation had its screen mysteriously crack and is difficult to use. I tried looking online and costs varied a lot. Hence tried local shops but again prices varied with some saying that the cheap repairs will not last. One shop owner mentioned that he only uses AAA grade digitizer.

I went ahead a bought a new one for £227 from eglobalcentral today but was still wondering what will be a reasonable cost to repair given the digitizer can be bought for around £20 on ebay and even less on Aliexpress ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
I’ve replaced quite a few iPad screens, can’t recall if I’ve done the 6th gen though. What I will say is it’s tricky, some of them are stuck on with ridiculously strong adhesive making it very tough to remove the original glass.

Take your time and be very methodical and ensure that you have the correct tools to do the job.

ifixit.com/Guide/iPad+6+Wi-Fi+Front+Panel+Assembly+Replacement/107618

...is a cracking source of info.

Edit - if you’re just looking prices, I’d imagine no one will do this for less than £75-100 all in, given how time consuming the repair is.

Edit 2 - ignore all that AA, AAA malarkey, they’ll all be using similar parts - unless original Apple which to my knowledge only a limited number of authorised centres can access.
Edited by: "Diggsy" 8th Mar
Diggsy08/03/2020 21:37

I’ve replaced quite a few iPad screens, can’t recall if I’ve done the 6th g …I’ve replaced quite a few iPad screens, can’t recall if I’ve done the 6th gen though. What I will say is it’s tricky, some of them are stuck on with ridiculously strong adhesive making it very tough to remove the original glass.Take your time and be very methodical and ensure that you have the correct tools to do the job.ifixit.com/Guide/iPad+6+Wi-Fi+Front+Panel+Assembly+Replacement/107618...is a cracking source of info.Edit - if you’re just looking prices, I’d imagine no one will do this for less than £75-100 all in, given how time consuming the repair is.Edit 2 - ignore all that AA, AAA malarkey, they’ll all be using similar parts - unless original Apple which to my knowledge only a limited number of authorised centres can access.

Thanks for this. Looking at number of steps there is a high degree of something going wrong unless I have tried this few times.

On the quotes I got from local repair shops, they were in range of £50-£60 at least ones who were serious to take repair jobs rather than trying to sell a second hand one. The prices were based on resale value of the iPad as they know no one will repair if they can pick a working second hand one for around same price.
varunadas08/03/2020 23:55

Thanks for this. Looking at number of steps there is a high degree of …Thanks for this. Looking at number of steps there is a high degree of something going wrong unless I have tried this few times. On the quotes I got from local repair shops, they were in range of £50-£60 at least ones who were serious to take repair jobs rather than trying to sell a second hand one. The prices were based on resale value of the iPad as they know no one will repair if they can pick a working second hand one for around same price.

No worries. You could probably sell it as is for someone to repair or use it as a project if you’re willing to try the repair yourself and aren’t too bothered if it goes wrong. £60 sounds very reasonable when you see the work that it requires!
LLTrader do spare parts. I've always had a good experience with them, and I've had a few duff iphone screens from them, but I've always been sent a replacement when I've notified them, no issues there.
Thanks both. Looks like it will be a repair for now followed by project work if that repair fails .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants