iPad wants me to Update YouTube app

Found 13th Mar
I have an old iPad 2 that’s been running perfectly fine on iOS 6. But today the YouTube app doesn’t let me use it. It shows a message saying “You must update to continue”.

I can’t update the app without updating my iOS version which I don’t want to do because I know it will render the iPad slow and unusable.

Does anyone know how to get around this issue? Is there a URL that I can block on my router that will stop YouTube displaying this message without affecting other apps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
4 Comments
can't you use YouTube from the browser instead?
discozohan54 m ago

can't you use YouTube from the browser instead?

My youngest daughter uses it so no, she wouldn’t know how to navigate the browser. It’s not easy for a child to use.
Can you download the YouTube kid app on ios6
nraja2 h, 1 m ago

Can you download the YouTube kid app on ios6

The Kids’ app requires iOS 8.2 or above. Lots of other apps require iOS 8 or 9. I’ve since found an app called YouPlayer that I’ve managed to download. It’s not as nice as the YouTube app and takes a few seconds to load but works.

I really want to be able to use the YouTube app though as I have been doing for the past 5 years until today. It seems unfair to have to slow down my iPad or fork out money for a new one when everything could work just as well without this annoying new message.

I realise they have to stop supporting old versions but that shouldn’t mean they have to take them away altogether. Surely there’s something illegal about this, like when Apple admitted to deliberately slowing down iPhones.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants