Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

IPhone 11 - 64Gb or 128Gb?

Posted 22nd Aug 2020
My daughter wants to venture over to the dark side and would like an iPhone as her contract is up for renewal soon. Despite trying to convince her to stick to Android, she has her heart set on an iPhone. Anyway, as I don't know much about iPhones, will a 64Gb model be OK or is it best to go for 128Gb for the apps etc?

May thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Personally, I think 128 should be the minimum for iPhones. I’ve had several, and anything below that always resulted in continually having to delete things. There are memory sticks now that have a lightning connection and are approved for use (Sandisk I think) which would obviously help, but if there isn’t much cost difference, I would absolutely recommend at least 128
Diggsy22/08/2020 21:40

Personally, I think 128 should be the minimum for iPhones. I’ve had s …Personally, I think 128 should be the minimum for iPhones. I’ve had several, and anything below that always resulted in continually having to delete things. There are memory sticks now that have a lightning connection and are approved for use (Sandisk I think) which would obviously help, but if there isn’t much cost difference, I would absolutely recommend at least 128

Thanks, that was my thinking from past experience of my old android phones. I know you have things like iCloud etc to back things up, but just think general running and ease I'll go for the 128Gb. Thanks again.
ncd22/08/2020 21:47

Thanks, that was my thinking from past experience of my old android …Thanks, that was my thinking from past experience of my old android phones. I know you have things like iCloud etc to back things up, but just think general running and ease I'll go for the 128Gb. Thanks again.

Yep, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. As you say, there are Cloud services, but it’s just handy to have the available space on the device.
Wait for the 12 if you can, its less than 4 weeks away hopefully, lowest is 128gb i think
New iPhone on the way in September and 11 will drop down in price by 100 quid most likely. Also what do people store on their phones that they need 128gb.
Use cloud services. Heck I have 64gb and I never went above 50, my miss has 64gb iPhone and she has not had a problem...
Edited by: "mtsk" 22nd Aug
mtsk22/08/2020 22:14

New iPhone on the way in September and 11 will drop down in price by 100 …New iPhone on the way in September and 11 will drop down in price by 100 quid most likely. Also what do people store on their phones that they need 128gb. Use cloud services. Heck I have 64gb and I never went above 50, my kiss has 64gb iPhone and she has not had a problem...

I have a 64gb model I got last December. Filled up 25gb and have countless apps, 1000s of photos and about 1000 songs on Spotify downloaded. I’d say 64gb is definitely enough. That being said I have no idea what the price difference is. I’d probably wait for the 12 personally as it’s so close, even if you opt for the 11 it’ll probably drop £100 in price in 3 weeks time. No idea why anyone would need more memory.
Out of interest how old is your daughter?
I have a 64GB iPhone 11, I don’t pay for iCloud, just periodically cut/paste my photos from my phone to my PC/Media Server. 64GB is enough in my opinion
I’ve got almost 50gb just in photos/videos alone. If you take a lot and use a lot of apps / games, it’ll eat through 64 in no time. I agree that it can absolutely be done, but it potentially means compromising, which I personally didn’t like. Each to their own though...
Willy_Wonka22/08/2020 22:23

Out of interest how old is your daughter?

She is 14, but helps so much with family things, so don't mind paying a bit more for her contract etc.
Thanks for advice everyone, think we'll wait for the 12 and see what the price of 11 is after that.
ncd22/08/2020 22:36

She is 14, but helps so much with family things, so don't mind paying a …She is 14, but helps so much with family things, so don't mind paying a bit more for her contract etc.

That is nice of you to do that for her. Can't say I would do the same thing at that age.

64GB is fine for any usage & if it is not then she needs to learn how to delete stuff of no meaning.
128GB will be safer with the amount of photos/videos captured on phone these days
Willy_Wonka22/08/2020 22:39

That is nice of you to do that for her. Can't say I would do the same …That is nice of you to do that for her. Can't say I would do the same thing at that age. 64GB is fine for any usage & if it is not then she needs to learn how to delete stuff of no meaning.

Yep, she has more than earned it though and she will really appreciate it. She knows how to and does delete stuff, it was more regarding the OS and app side of things. Age is just a number, she is mature and sensible way above her age.
Edited by: "ncd" 22nd Aug
More storage is always better.
ncd22/08/2020 22:44

Yep, she has more than earned it though and she will really appreciate it. …Yep, she has more than earned it though and she will really appreciate it. She knows how to and does delete stuff, it was more regarding the OS and app side of things.

Not for her though. She wants the best phone for status. If she wanted what she needs then she would chose which GB & the best battery.
Diggsy22/08/2020 22:35

I’ve got almost 50gb just in photos/videos alone. If you take a lot and u …I’ve got almost 50gb just in photos/videos alone. If you take a lot and use a lot of apps / games, it’ll eat through 64 in no time. I agree that it can absolutely be done, but it potentially means compromising, which I personally didn’t like. Each to their own though...

I don't think you will even think about compromising when/if your phone accidentally breaks or memory fails... Those 50gb of photos will be absolutely worthless
mtsk22/08/2020 22:48

I don't think you will even think about compromising when/if your phone …I don't think you will even think about compromising when/if your phone accidentally breaks or memory fails... Those 50gb of photos will be absolutely worthless

Oh don’t worry, I back them up, then back up the back up too....I’ve been there with a 1tb hard disk full of precious stuff failing. It wasn’t fun I can tell you
Willy_Wonka22/08/2020 22:47

Not for her though. She wants the best phone for status. If she wanted …Not for her though. She wants the best phone for status. If she wanted what she needs then she would chose which GB & the best battery.

Errr... Given how you don't know her not sure how you can say that. She is not flash or need anything for status. She would be happy with 64Gb, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.
Diggsy22/08/2020 22:50

Oh don’t worry, I back them up, then back up the back up too....I’ve been t …Oh don’t worry, I back them up, then back up the back up too....I’ve been there with a 1tb hard disk full of precious stuff failing. It wasn’t fun I can tell you

So why do you have 50gb worth of photos on your phone ? Why can't you have small fraction of the most recent ones instead? When was the last time you looked at them ?
I have 64 go , tons of apps and 9000 pics and vids and 64GB and 120gb iCloud is what I have
mtsk22/08/2020 22:51

So why do you have 50gb worth of photos on your phone ? Why can't you have …So why do you have 50gb worth of photos on your phone ? Why can't you have small fraction of the most recent ones instead? When was the last time you looked at them ?

Looked at them yesterday actually. Not all of them of course but it’s nice sometimes to look back at things. I also have a ridiculous amount of apps / games. Yes I’m probably a bit of a hoarder, but I still think 64gb isn’t really enough for a modern phone. I’m not saying I’m right, and everyone should have 128gb or more, it’s just my opinion...
ncd22/08/2020 22:51

Errr... Given how you don't know her not sure how you can say that. She is …Errr... Given how you don't know her not sure how you can say that. She is not flash or need anything for status. She would be happy with 64Gb, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the right one.

She has already told you what to buy. All I said was 64GB is enough for anyone who knows how to delete & maybe store excess on an internal/external drive. Does the 64GB take a micro card? If so then that is that.
Willy_Wonka22/08/2020 23:04

She has already told you what to buy. All I said was 64GB is enough for …She has already told you what to buy. All I said was 64GB is enough for anyone who knows how to delete & maybe store excess on an internal/external drive. Does the 64GB take a micro card? If so then that is that.

Yep, but like I said I, as in me, want to make sure I get the correct one as I have little experience of IOS. She hasn't told me what to buy, as I decide what she gets, I just want to make sure I get what I buy is the right one. Just like everything else in life I buy.
ncd22/08/2020 23:19

Yep, but like I said I, as in me, want to make sure I get the correct one …Yep, but like I said I, as in me, want to make sure I get the correct one as I have little experience of IOS. She hasn't told me what to buy, as I decide what she gets, I just want to make sure I get what I buy is the right one. Just like everything else in life I buy.

But the best iPhone to buy is the newest one with the most memory
Willy_Wonka22/08/2020 23:21

But the best iPhone to buy is the newest one with the most memory

Where did I say I wanted to get the best iPhone?
Post a comment
@
    Text