Hi has this ever happened to anyone else before

[image missing]
Community Updates
Ask
40 Comments
41315390.jpg

41315390-ocoKN.jpg
Edited by: "sdylan" 6th Jul
Looks like screens been damaged, dropped or sat on?
Has that screen previously been replaced? Never seen an original screen do that before, but have seen a lot of replacement (3rd party) screens do that.
It was fine just now then the lines started to appear never dropped it never replaced it
sdylan06/07/2020 22:28

It was fine just now then the lines started to appear never dropped it …It was fine just now then the lines started to appear never dropped it never replaced it

That’s very odd indeed in that case...how old is it? Might be worth chatting to Apple
Could be one of the following faults:
Screen leak (phones been sat on, bent the screen)
Connector has come loose or is damaged.
Water leak, either in the screen or somehow found its way into the main board.
Is it still under warranty?
41315661-87R5L.jpg
Diggsy06/07/2020 22:33

That’s very odd indeed in that case...how old is it? Might be worth c …That’s very odd indeed in that case...how old is it? Might be worth chatting to Apple

369 days old warranty expired last week !!
sdylan06/07/2020 22:52

Expired last week I’m so irritated

Damn that’s harsh. With warranties these days it’s always a requirement to make products engineered to last until the warranty is up (usually 2 years), not to make them last long, so the consumer is ‘forced’ to buy the newer product line, but for your iPhone to develop faults basically bang on after warranty is really cruel.
What about
sdylan06/07/2020 22:57

Have you tried tweeting them? Maybe mention SOGA?

A bit of negative publicity usually works wonders
Diggsy06/07/2020 23:03

What about Have you tried tweeting them? Maybe mention SOGA?A bit of …What about Have you tried tweeting them? Maybe mention SOGA?A bit of negative publicity usually works wonders

Thanks I will try first the legal battle with amazon now apple

They should still repair it when it’s just out like that
Ask them to repair it as a goodwill gesture
It works for me with canon and camera was months out of warranty
sdylan06/07/2020 23:13

Thanks I will try first the legal battle with amazon now apple

I would deal with Apple I can’t see it amazon being interested
Edited by: "snoopy18" 6th Jul
this happened to my Samsung, never to work again
sdylan06/07/2020 22:57

Who cares about warranty? The consumer obligations far outlast any manufacturer warranty and are held with the trader who sold it to you.
Not sure where you are posting from. But EU statutory law is 2 years for electrical goods. Not 1yr. UK is still covered under that rule.

I had the same issue with Microsoft over a controller that went faulty, Live Chat, was 15 months old, initially said 1yr warranty, politely said it's 2yrs in the EU by law.
No hassle, new one arrived in the post within 5 days.

europa.eu/you…htm

Free of charge, 2-year guarantee for all goodsYou always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right, however national rules in your country may give you extra protection.

If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund.

You can usually only ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods.
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 6th Jul
Chiptivo06/07/2020 23:51

Not sure where you are posting from. But EU statutory law is 2 years for …Not sure where you are posting from. But EU statutory law is 2 years for electrical goods. Not 1yr. UK is still covered under that rule. I had the same issue with Microsoft over a controller that went faulty, Live Chat, was 15 months old, initially said 1yr warranty, politely said it's 2yrs in the EU by law.No hassle, new one arrived in the post within 5 days. https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htmFree of charge, 2-year guarantee for all goodsYou always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right, however national rules in your country may give you extra protection.If goods you bought anywhere in the EU turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace them free of charge or give you a price reduction or a full refund.You can usually only ask for a partial or full refund when it is not possible to repair or replace the goods.

This isn’t a true “warranty”, it’s the same as the Consumer Rights act, you may need to prove that the fault was there when you bought it and isn’t due to something you caused.
  • “If your product breaks after 6 months, you still have the right to have your goods repaired or replaced for free or, at least, to a price reduction or your money back. However, you may need to prove that the problem existed when you received the goods.“

more good advice here citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ds/ especially this bit “You can say something like this:

"Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. My rights have been breached because the item you sold me is faulty. I would like a repair/replacement/part-refund."

UK consumer law is stronger than EU (6 years instead of 2) so it over rides EU. The downside is after 6 months the onus is on the consumer to prove the item was faulty. You need an engineers report to say the phone had a fault when it was purchased, if you have damaged the phone in some way then you are obviously wasting your time as it will show in the engineers report.
You could always take it to a phone shop, one near me charges between £30-75 for iPhone screens depending on model. Could always replace then sell. I’ve been lucky I’m on my 5th iPhone never had an issue and I pass them all onto my mother so they get well used. Personally I would pay for Apple to repair if I planned to keep any length of time...
I’d take it in store, I’ve never had issue when I had a fault on an iPad just out of warranty. If it’s in good condition you have a decent chance in getting it replaced.
If anyone recalls Apple's Wifigate or Batterygate... in the end Apple did some free or subsidised replacement programs. You might be in with a chance but need to wait till 'Genius' appointments are available again.
If you take it to the store and it looks like it has been treated well they may side with you and do it for nothing, however, if it looks like it has been dragged through a hedge backwards I wouldn't bother.

They normally plug it in to a diagnostic device to determine any other faults as well.
Dannyrobbo07/07/2020 07:03

I’d take it in store, I’ve never had issue when I had a fault on an iPad ju …I’d take it in store, I’ve never had issue when I had a fault on an iPad just out of warranty. If it’s in good condition you have a decent chance in getting it replaced.

I’m not sure I trust them because I saw on Facebook that some shop near me swapped all the genuine parts for fake ones
Bargainhead07/07/2020 05:56

You could always take it to a phone shop, one near me charges between …You could always take it to a phone shop, one near me charges between £30-75 for iPhone screens depending on model. Could always replace then sell. I’ve been lucky I’m on my 5th iPhone never had an issue and I pass them all onto my mother so they get well used. Personally I would pay for Apple to repair if I planned to keep any length of time...

Personally I wouldn't trust any unauthorised repair shop as you never know how good the parts they are fitting are. Genuine Apple authorised repair places are usually the same price as direct with Apple though.

You’ll be under UK consumer warranty, last for 5 years I believe. Take it to an Apple store see what they say, if you haven’t done anything and it’s naturally happened see if they’ll repair it and mention the law. They usually try to not repair unless you actually know the law. It’s also on apples website
jon81uk07/07/2020 09:45

Personally I wouldn't trust any unauthorised repair shop as you never know …Personally I wouldn't trust any unauthorised repair shop as you never know how good the parts they are fitting are. Genuine Apple authorised repair places are usually the same price as direct with Apple though.

That’s why I said I would pay Apple to do my repair, but if I was selling phone I wouldn’t care what screen went in as long as it worked to sell..
KeyboardKitten07/07/2020 09:48

You’ll be under UK consumer warranty, last for 5 years I believe. Take it t …You’ll be under UK consumer warranty, last for 5 years I believe. Take it to an Apple store see what they say, if you haven’t done anything and it’s naturally happened see if they’ll repair it and mention the law. They usually try to not repair unless you actually know the law. It’s also on apples website

As already mentioned in these comments, under the consumer rights act, after six months you have to prove the goods were faulty from the beginning which naturally makes it harder but not impossible.
sdylan07/07/2020 08:59

I’m not sure I trust them because I saw on Facebook that some shop near me …I’m not sure I trust them because I saw on Facebook that some shop near me swapped all the genuine parts for fake ones

At the apple store I should have clarified that. Nobody but apple and apple approved repairers can fix iPhones and have access to genuine parts.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 7th Jul
Dannyrobbo07/07/2020 11:27

At the apple store I should have clarified that. Nobody but …At the apple store I should have clarified that. Nobody but apple and apple approved repairers can fix iPhones and have access to genuine parts.

Sorry I thought you was talking about one of those gadget repair shops
sdylan07/07/2020 11:52

Sorry I thought you was talking about one of those gadget repair shops

It’s alright I wasn’t clear! I think in person if your iPhone doesn’t show any obvious wear they’re generally good at replacing them
Thanks everyone I have an Apple appointment on Saturday so I hope they honour it but I will let you know
Unfortunately I had no luck, the “ genius “ from the “ Genius Bar “ wouldn’t honour it by 1 week and told me it would cost £192.36 ( who made that price up I don’t know ) they show no care tbh for an expensive phone like this that shouldn’t break in just over a year. In future I will be buying a phone from John Lewis as they offer 2 years guarantee as standard
sdylan12/07/2020 03:00

Unfortunately I had no luck, the “ genius “ from the “ Genius Bar “ wouldn’ …Unfortunately I had no luck, the “ genius “ from the “ Genius Bar “ wouldn’t honour it by 1 week and told me it would cost £192.36 ( who made that price up I don’t know ) they show no care tbh for an expensive phone like this that shouldn’t break in just over a year. In future I will be buying a phone from John Lewis as they offer 2 years guarantee as standard

Tell you Apple Genius Bar are actually so rude. Not a fan of them, I’ve got AppleCare only because I didn’t buy my phone from John Lewis or Costco, wouldn’t have it if I did. Airpods broke, didn’t bother taking them to the Genius Bar for them to book me an appointment when they ain’t doing anything just for them to tell me oh it’s your fault. Just walked to Costco and got them refunded
KeyboardKitten12/07/2020 11:43

Tell you Apple Genius Bar are actually so rude. Not a fan of them, I’ve g …Tell you Apple Genius Bar are actually so rude. Not a fan of them, I’ve got AppleCare only because I didn’t buy my phone from John Lewis or Costco, wouldn’t have it if I did. Airpods broke, didn’t bother taking them to the Genius Bar for them to book me an appointment when they ain’t doing anything just for them to tell me oh it’s your fault. Just walked to Costco and got them refunded

Definitely agree with you. I said I spoke a manger on the phone to this “ genius “ and he replied there’s no such title. I can’t stand when people try and correct me it’s so unprofessional
sdylan12/07/2020 03:00

Unfortunately I had no luck, the “ genius “ from the “ Genius Bar “ wouldn’ …Unfortunately I had no luck, the “ genius “ from the “ Genius Bar “ wouldn’t honour it by 1 week and told me it would cost £192.36 ( who made that price up I don’t know ) they show no care tbh for an expensive phone like this that shouldn’t break in just over a year. In future I will be buying a phone from John Lewis as they offer 2 years guarantee as standard

We can cut through all the periphery rubbish being posted in this thread if you indicate where you purchased the allegedly busted kit and what payment method you used.
AndyRoyd12/07/2020 12:36

We can cut through all the periphery rubbish being posted in this thread …We can cut through all the periphery rubbish being posted in this thread if you indicate where you purchased the allegedly busted kit and what payment method you used.

It’s on contact with ee
sdylan12/07/2020 12:37

It’s on contact with ee

EE is the trader. The trader holds the legal guarantee obligations for up to 6 years. This was mentioned earlier in the thread but you seem to have ignored it and attempted to involve the manufacturer who has zero obligation to you.

Approach the trader stating it is obviously unreasonable for a premium POS to fail prematurely and politely request the trader provides a solution.
If the trader fails to play ball: you obtain a report from a credible expert confirming premature failure, then re-approach trader to come to an amicable arrangement.
If the trader turns out to be as much a POS as the busted kit: issue LBA then MCOL.
No drama.
Post a comment
@
    Text