Groups

iPhone 3g problem! HELP

Hey People,

Im kinda scared! lol

I recently purchased an iPhone from a well known auction site.....I wanted to upgrade the firmware in order to use YellowSnow, now the thing is I've upgraded to 2.2.0 but now it does not pick up any signal even with my o2 simcard I have!

Any ideas! Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks

26 Comments

Try this

Switch on / off
    then
    go to Settings
    General
    Reset (last option)
    Reset Network Settings

It may take a few minutes and a couple of try

Original Poster

Hi

Just tried that....but still does not allow me to dial etc.

and states NO Service....Noooooooooooooooooooo

Would I need the original simcard of the owner who activated it?

If Bikebarbie's still isnt doing the job after Reseting Network Settings wait until phone reboots to normal mode then;

remove simcard then re-insert simcard

turn on airplane mode...wait 10 seconds then turn off airplane mode

if works than fine otherwise restart iPhone than try again.

Original Poster

tried that as well..Is it not picking up signal as this was not the simcard which was used to activate the phone?

Have you got any way of checking if that sim card works on another phone? :?

Original Poster

Yup it works on another phone and it was working fine on this phone before fw upgrade

the porter;4261348

Pwn it again

Yeah, a fresh start could be the way

OK try re-pwning it

Original Poster

Woooooooooooooooo

I thought I would install YellowSn0w....and after that it recognised my o2 simcard straightaway! Now i have put my 3 sim in!

Thanks tho for all your advice!

The thing is I want to keep safe so I dont want my phone to ever use my 3 connection for browsing etc....don't want high data roaming charges lol...

Now my 3 sim works is there anything else I need to do?

Many Thanks

ooooooooooo i thought you already had installed Yellowsn0w

Original Poster

No, lol...I had to upgrade FW in order to install Yellowsn0w but as soon as I installed the FW there was no coverage when there was before! lol

Any ideas what I have to do next I have heard I need to install BossPref as well?

whats yellowsnow lol

Doh! :roll:

lol

MarzBarz;4261484

whats yellowsnow lol

dont eat it

Original Poster

lol...

Would I need to install BossPref in order to use my 3 sim in the iphone properly? have heard so much about it e.g. to change to 2g network and about voicemail etc?

:s i got an iphone 3g but have never come across yellow snnow

MarzBarz;4261553

:s i got an iphone 3g but have never come across yellow snnow

Its just an application that unlocks your 3g iphone to all networks ;-)

i think its still in beta stage tho

If you dont want to use 3g cant you just go in
    Settings - General - Network - Enable 3G off

Original Poster

Could anyone please advise! lol

The thing is as now I have put my 3 contract sim in and now want to install some applications from cydia/installer. How can I make sure that they are not using my 3 connection in order to do so or if they are using my wifi at home?

Dont want to get billed as have heard a lot on the news about silly amounts for using the network connection to browse the net!

If I switch off 3g then will the network not start to notice I am always using 2g?

well u probli havent got the settings so its fine

Original Poster

True but rather be safe than get a stupid bill! lol

What i do (this is probably the long way around)

In general - network - cellular data network

i have 3 things
    APN
    Username
    Password

i just put a few dots after the apn, i cant remember the term but it makes sure that its only using your wifi at home.

you can check it by going to General - usage , then seeing if the cellular network sent/recieved stats have changed.

If they havent your only on your home wifi, but remember to change it back when your out and about

Original Poster

Hi Pal,

Thanks for that I had a look and theres nothing in those settings!

So guess thats all good? Dont think the iPhone gets the settings later on automatically.

Guess you use the 3 network as well? Any idea how you transfered your contacts from sim to iPhone? They did have an application but thatdoes not work with fw 2.2?

SkippyDoo;4261780

Hi Pal,Thanks for that I had a look and theres nothing in those settings! … Hi Pal,Thanks for that I had a look and theres nothing in those settings! :)So guess thats all good? Dont think the iPhone gets the settings later on automatically.Guess you use the 3 network as well? Any idea how you transfered your contacts from sim to iPhone? They did have an application but thatdoes not work with fw 2.2?

Im on o2 payg, got one of those 12 months free internet sim cards off an auction website ;-), was too scared about trying about beta software on my 300 pound phone lol :-D

Original Poster

lol..I understand!

lol...But you know what I don't understand why anyone on the 3 network would switcf off 3g as if you keep using 2g will they not realise?

Banned

firstly i would say the phone has been barred.

I had the same issue with my vodafone sim card.

I got my sim card replaced by vodafone, now its fine

Yess apple finally included the feature which allows you to transfer contacts from the sim.

About browsing, unless the settings are in the phone (which they wont be) you wont be able to go online.

With Three, i thought that they only use a 3G connection or will ty to.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1831
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767127
      3. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …2599
      4. TechInTheBasket?69

See more discussions