iPhone 3GS - Help and Advice

12 replies
Found 29th Jul 2009
Im looking at getting a iPhone 3GS in the coming weeks, but will be planning on using it on Vodafone - im buying a PAYG version (obviously locked to o2).

Do i need to activate the iPhone using the o2 PAYG SIM before i can unlock it to use on Vodafone, or can i simply put my Vodafone SIM in straight away and unlock it from there? Can i activate the iPhone with my Voda SIM?

I would really appreciate a link to a guide to help people like me planning on buying an iPhone to use on other networks

Thanks for any help

1. Misc
  2. iPhone
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. iPhone
12 Comments

I have a 3g on voda and i had to activate using my paygo o2 sim first as it wouldnt do it with my vodafone sim in, i also didnt realise you could software unlock the 3gs yet?

Original Poster

Thanks guys.

Are there any disadvantages of using an unlocked iPhone on Vodafone instead of a locked phone on O2? Eg can you still do all the things a locked iPhone can do like access and pay for apps on the App Store etc? Reading around the only thing that seems not to work is visual voicemail - is that correct?

neenyrules;5879543

Thanks guys.Are there any disadvantages of using an unlocked iPhone on … Thanks guys.Are there any disadvantages of using an unlocked iPhone on Vodafone instead of a locked phone on O2? Eg can you still do all the things a locked iPhone can do like access and pay for apps on the App Store etc? Reading around the only thing that seems not to work is visual voicemail - is that correct?

why would you want to pay for apps when you can jailbrake it

neenyrules;5879543

Thanks guys.Are there any disadvantages of using an unlocked iPhone on … Thanks guys.Are there any disadvantages of using an unlocked iPhone on Vodafone instead of a locked phone on O2? Eg can you still do all the things a locked iPhone can do like access and pay for apps on the App Store etc? Reading around the only thing that seems not to work is visual voicemail - is that correct?

You can't use visual voicemail, that's it really i've heard.
cribert;5879588

+1

neenyrules;5879543

I've had no problems doing anything that a locked iphone can do so i presume you should be the same

Avenger;5879620

I've had no problems doing anything that a locked iphone can do so i … I've had no problems doing anything that a locked iphone can do so i presume you should be the same

You won't be able to use visual voicemail as vodafone don't offer it atm i believe.

Banned

t0mm;5879631

You won't be able to use visual voicemail as vodafone don't offer it atm … You won't be able to use visual voicemail as vodafone don't offer it atm i believe.

you cant even use visual voicemail on simplicity or payg tariffs on o2

Original Poster

cribert;5879588

Sorry im still trying to get my head into the whole jailbreak thing - i assumed that it meant i could install apps not signed / authorised by Apple to run on the iPhone.

vibeone;5879666

you cant even use visual voicemail on simplicity or payg tariffs on o2

that sucks..

I assumed that cause I could (Contract o2) everyone could. My bad!

Banned

t0mm;5879951

that sucks..I assumed that cause I could (Contract o2) everyone could. My … that sucks..I assumed that cause I could (Contract o2) everyone could. My bad!

i assume you mean iphone contract? if normal contract, I'm very surprised?

Original Poster

Got my 3GS, now full jailbroken and unlocked on vodafone.

I now want to add a custom network logo saying vodafone like this images.google.co.uk/img…3D1

does this work on the 3GS? The instructions on that page seem complicated - anyone else done this??
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition47382
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions