iPhone 3GS HELP (please)?

Found 13th Feb 2010
Recently purchased an iPhone 3GS from another member here, and it's been working fine for the best part of the last month or so. It has officially been unlocked by O2.

However, as of some time this week, i've been unable to get anything more than a flat five-bar signal - meaning no calls/texts in or out, and and a three-beep dial tone when attempting to make any calls; although it is still showing the vodafone 3G carrier logo most of the time (i'm currently using a vodafone PAYG sim, which works fine in my old phone).

I have tried alternative sims on other networks, which show the network connection to two, three or four bars - in this case T-mobile), but again even then, I still get a three-beep dial-tone when attempting calls, even with this said signal.

I have attempted to check the IMEI number online to see if it's been blocked (although have no reason to think it would have been), and it's coming back as clear from what I can tell, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It's currently running the 3.1.2 OS and using the latest carrier setting of 5.1 from Vodafone (these were updated about a week or two before the whole problem started), so i'm a little stumped as to where the problem may lie, other than with the phone itself, obviously.

So does anybody have any light they can shed on this problem, please?

1. Misc
  2. iPhone
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. iPhone
26 Comments

i have the same problem with mine i think its a software issue.

Try restoring. If it does't work still it may be barred.

check the imei number again but on [url]www.checkmend.co.uk[/url]
they will give u a full report.. If it isn't blocked then just take it to an apple store and they'l give u a replacement for free.

i have had the same with mine - it was fine until yesterday then keep showing no network.

Jailbroken so re done it and re unlocked to any network.

somone said switching off the 3g helps???

Have you had any joy?

Banned

I'm a bit concerned that you may have purchased a stolen phone that has only recently been blocked.........

Try a restore first off, but otherwise... hmm.

i checked it out on apple and it was under warranty.....

It does sometimes get signal. today it's fine. can you check the imei for free???

strange this same thing happened to me yesterday night. I was getting "no service" but other sim cards worked.
But i fixed it by turning the phone off, leaving it for 5 mins and switching it back on. Works fine now.

Banned

Here's an odd thing, my 3gs is officially unlocked, but jailbroken.

I had a similar problem - it said i had full 5 bars of signal, on vodafone, but it remained on 5 bars even if i turned on flight mode!! I also couldn't make calls.

Never done it before, and it hasn't done it since I rebooted it.

But it seems very weird that a few of us suddenly had a similar problem?!

Glad it wasn't just me!!! Mine has been fine since re booting and re jailbraking etc.

Wonder if there were some network problem?? Although it sounds like we're all on different networks..... random.

Have a look at this link

]http//ww…tml

See if this sparks anything off in your head.

Banned

guy from work had 2 of his iphone 3GS do this he got them from an official seller (so he says) off ebay lol what an idiot.

Original Poster

Right, i've tried numerous suggestions, both from those who posted above and also from mooching around various forum posts on t'interweb, but so far to no avail.

I have tried, in no particular order;

- Factory restore through iTunes
- Switching the 3G off
- Resetting the network settings
- Power-cycling
- Turning Airplane mode on, and then back off again
- Switching the phone off for x-amount of time, before powering back on

Currently it's sitting there in it's iBrick state that it's been in for the last week or so, and after the restore (the last attempt of trying to solve it that i've made), I was greeted with the following message on the phone screen, also (iTunes said otherwise):

"Waiting for activation. This may take some time"

..and yeah, still no damn signal and just the flat five-bar connection (or if i'm really lucky, just a simple 'No Service' icon instead!)

Anybody got any further ideas/thoughts?

Banned

Bass_Monkey;7860446

Right, i've tried numerous suggestions, both from those who posted above … Right, i've tried numerous suggestions, both from those who posted above and also from mooching around various forum posts on t'interweb, but so far to no avail.I have tried, in no particular order;- Factory restore through iTunes- Switching the 3G off- Resetting the network settings- Power-cycling- Turning Airplane mode on, and then back off again- Switching the phone off for x-amount of time, before powering back onCurrently it's sitting there in it's iBrick state that it's been in for the last week or so, and after the restore (the last attempt of trying to solve it that i've made), I was greeted with the following message on the phone screen, also (iTunes said otherwise):"Waiting for activation. This may take some time"..and yeah, still no damn signal and just the flat five-bar connection (or if i'm really lucky, just a simple 'No Service' icon instead!)Anybody got any further ideas/thoughts?

This is definitely not the same as the single issue I had. I'd check its not stolen again... because it seems very odd. It's either stolen, or some weird hardware failing.

Original Poster

vibeone;7861522

This is definitely not the same as the single issue I had. I'd check its … This is definitely not the same as the single issue I had. I'd check its not stolen again... because it seems very odd. It's either stolen, or some weird hardware failing.

Have checked using the CheckMend website that i've been referred to by a number of users, and the report isn't quite as positive as the other check i'd done suggested. Although neither does it clear up as to why (more on that in a moment). Anyway - findings:

Ever blocked US
CheckMEND has no record of this item being blocked by any US network.

Ever blocked UK
This item has been blocked during its lifetime by one or more UK network(s).

Ever blocked Rest Of World
CheckMEND has no record of this item being blocked by any Rest Of World network.

IMEI Currently blocked
This item is currently blocked on one or more networks. It may still work on some networks.

Stolen
Not reported stolen to CheckMEND.

Lost
Not reported lost to CheckMEND.

Insurance claims
No insurance claim reported to CheckMEND.

Possible counterfeit
No counterfeit usage reported to CheckMEND.

Possible clone
No clone usage reported to CheckMEND.

Owners
No ownership details recorded on Immobilise.com for this item.

So the IMEI number has been blocked on 'some' (i'm guessing all, although got a signal with one out of the three I tried, but still no call-out) of the UK networks; yet it hasn't been reported stolen, lost, part of an insurance claim or any other legality that would suggest it would be otherwise need to be blocked; so i'm a little confused as to what it might be?

This block seems to have only occurred within about a week of new carrier settings been installed from Vodafone, surely they wouldn't (either morally or legally) just block an IMEI of a phone that has legally and officially been unlocked by a different network, for no real reason? So i'm a little stumped (and frustrated/pee'd off!) as to what the situation is here and how to resolve it - I mean, at least I know why it's now got no signal (even though I used a jail-broken and unlocked 2G with Vodafone for over a year without any problems like this) - but has anybody got any suggestions of where I can go from here? :thinking:

I occasionally get this problem at work when using my 3GS, it only seems to happen when I am standing anywhere near the lifts as if I walk a few metres away from them, it is fine.

What happens is I have full signal, 3G, etc but when I try to make calls I just get three beeps. Since I can make calls when I step away from the lifts (and when I am near the lifts it is the only time I have this problem), I assumed it was some sort of interference?

I have had the same checkmend report in the past with one of my iphones, I think it does mean its been blocked. Tried everything and nothing worked so had to sell it on. The only way I could get reception back was to take the sim card out, put it in another phone, turn it on and get reception on that phone, then swap it back in my iphone. But then everytime I went into an area with no signal it wouldn't come back again unless I did the sim card swap. Sorry I can't be anymore help but if it's the same issue as mine there isn't anything you can do to sort it. Only the original owner can sort it out if it's been blocked.

Original Poster

mmafia;7864559

I have had the same checkmend report in the past with one of my iphones, … I have had the same checkmend report in the past with one of my iphones, I think it does mean its been blocked. Tried everything and nothing worked so had to sell it on. The only way I could get reception back was to take the sim card out, put it in another phone, turn it on and get reception on that phone, then swap it back in my iphone. But then everytime I went into an area with no signal it wouldn't come back again unless I did the sim card swap. Sorry I can't be anymore help but if it's the same issue as mine there isn't anything you can do to sort it. Only the original owner can sort it out if it's been blocked.

I'm prepared to fight my corner with the network that I think has wrongly blocked it, so i'm gong to at least try that before giving up on it - i've only had it 2-3 weeks (in which time it worked fine), and I didn't have this trouble previously using a jail-broken and illegitimately unlocked 2G iPhone, again on the same network, which would suggest it wasn't the network's initiative, but that it had been reported, but the report says otherwise.. so it's all a bit of a mess!

dcx_badass;7864613

Looks like the seller reported it stolen to get a new one from insurance.

I would of thought that too, but the CheckMend report says that there's been no report of theft, loss, insurance claim or anything of such kind, so it doesn't add up...

Bass_Monkey;7864886

I'm prepared to fight my corner with the network that I think has wrongly … I'm prepared to fight my corner with the network that I think has wrongly blocked it, so i'm gong to at least try that before giving up on it - i've only had it 2-3 weeks (in which time it worked fine), and I didn't have this trouble previously using a jail-broken and illegitimately unlocked 2G iPhone, again on the same network, which would suggest it wasn't the network's initiative, but that it had been reported, but the report says otherwise.. so it's all a bit of a mess!

The other problem I had with mine though was trying to figure out if it was actually blocked or not, as when I rung o2 about it they told me that the only way they could check if it was blocked is if they had the original phone number, which I didn't have. I have heard if you hassle them a bit then you can get an answer but for me they wouldn't.
Also I think they can block a phone if a person hasn't paid a bill not sure if this is true or not so don't quote me on it. If I was you i'd try and contact the seller, see if they can shed any light on it.

Original Poster

mmafia;7865000

The other problem I had with mine though was trying to figure out if it … The other problem I had with mine though was trying to figure out if it was actually blocked or not, as when I rung o2 about it they told me that the only way they could check if it was blocked is if they had the original phone number, which I didn't have. I have heard if you hassle them a bit then you can get an answer but for me they wouldn't. Also I think they can block a phone if a person hasn't paid a bill not sure if this is true or not so don't quote me on it. If I was you i'd try and contact the seller, see if they can shed any light on it.

I was going to try and find out the reason why it was blocked before attempting to get anything out of the seller, as i'm still convinced (maybe just clinging to the notion?) that it's a network carrier mistake, and that they - for one reason or another - have blocked the IMEI of the phone; but if they won't tell me without the original information, then I may just have to.

I too, have heard that unpaid bills can lead to networks blocking IMEI of phones; but without being the original owner, it's going to be tricky to sort out.

Given the circumstances, I think i'm looking at three possibilities as to why it's been blocked - network carrier error by Vodafone, for one reason or another; unpaid bill by previous owner, thus O2 have since blocked it; or some claim type that hasn't been marked up on the CheckMend database, as aside from the IMEI being blocked, it comes back as clean on all other counts.. either way, i'm determined to get to the bottom of it, as you might imagine - like you were - i'm a little pee'd off with it all!

Just curious, but when you say you sold yours on, i'm assuming to a buyer outside of this country where the phone wasn't blocked, correct? Did you lose much cost on it in doing that?

Bass_Monkey;7865058

I was going to try and find out the reason why it was blocked before … I was going to try and find out the reason why it was blocked before attempting to get anything out of the seller, as i'm still convinced (maybe just clinging to the notion?) that it's a network carrier mistake, and that they - for one reason or another - have blocked the IMEI of the phone; but if they won't tell me without the original information, then I may just have to.I too, have heard that unpaid bills can lead to networks blocking IMEI of phones; but without being the original owner, it's going to be tricky to sort out.Given the circumstances, I think i'm looking at three possibilities as to why it's been blocked - network carrier error by Vodafone, for one reason or another; unpaid bill by previous owner, thus O2 have since blocked it; or some claim type that hasn't been marked up on the CheckMend database, as aside from the IMEI being blocked, it comes back as clean on all other counts.. either way, i'm determined to get to the bottom of it, as you might imagine - like you were - i'm a little pee'd off with it all!Just curious, but when you say you sold yours on, i'm assuming to a buyer outside of this country where the phone wasn't blocked, correct? Did you lose much cost on it in doing that?

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, as my checkmend was exactly the same, didn't show any reason why it was blocked, just that it was! The only thing I can think of is that somehow checkmend doesn't show if the imei is blocked for a reason such as lost/stolen etc as O2 told me that they block it through the mobile number, not the imei? Can't really think of any other reason.....
To be honest I lost maybe £10 ish on it. I had a 3g 8GB, bought it for 200, sold it back on for £190. There is a fairly good market for "no signal/barred" iPhones. Like you said it can still work abroad, or, which I expect some people do is change the imei. Which is very illegal.
edit: also no it wasn't someone outside the country, I had 8 offers within 4 minutes of posting it on the bay, all people from UK.

vibeone;7861522

This is definitely not the same as the single issue I had. I'd check its … This is definitely not the same as the single issue I had. I'd check its not stolen again... because it seems very odd. It's either stolen, or some weird hardware failing.

Agreed. Mine was fine - just a one off 'off day'.

Good luck fixing it.

Original Poster

mmafia;7865135

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, as my checkmend was exactly the same, … Yeah I know exactly what you mean, as my checkmend was exactly the same, didn't show any reason why it was blocked, just that it was! The only thing I can think of is that somehow checkmend doesn't show if the imei is blocked for a reason such as lost/stolen etc as O2 told me that they block it through the mobile number, not the imei? Can't really think of any other reason..... To be honest I lost maybe £10 ish on it. I had a 3g 8GB, bought it for 200, sold it back on for £190. There is a fairly good market for "no signal/barred" iPhones. Like you said it can still work abroad, or, which I expect some people do is change the imei. Which is very illegal.edit: also no it wasn't someone outside the country, I had 8 offers within 4 minutes of posting it on the bay, all people from UK.

The blocking through the mobile number not the IMEI doesn't make sense - surely that would be a SIM block, not an IMEI block? Besides, the SIM itself works fine in another phone i've put it in, so it's definitely the phone that's been blocked in one way or another; namely, apparently, via the IMEI of all things; and you would of thought that CheckMend would have a reason for the block if it was done via one of the reasons they list on their own report (lost, stolen, etc..), else what would be the point of having those sections on the report? It all seems a little weird, and has put me off buying second hand phones in the future, anyway (even if my last three or four have been second hand and unlocked in some form, and until now i've had no problems)

Well i'm still hopeful of finding a positive resolution, but if needs be, as a last resort, I too will probably cut me losses and peddle it on fleabay for as near to what I paid for it as possible, and then sit tight 'til the price of the brand new 3GS phones, direct from the network[s], come down in price a little or something; which'll hopefully save a lot more hassle.

Cheers for the advice though bud; much appreciated!

Bass_Monkey;7874930

The blocking through the mobile number not the IMEI doesn't make sense - … The blocking through the mobile number not the IMEI doesn't make sense - surely that would be a SIM block, not an IMEI block? Besides, the SIM itself works fine in another phone i've put it in, so it's definitely the phone that's been blocked in one way or another; namely, apparently, via the IMEI of all things; and you would of thought that CheckMend would have a reason for the block if it was done via one of the reasons they list on their own report (lost, stolen, etc..), else what would be the point of having those sections on the report? It all seems a little weird, and has put me off buying second hand phones in the future, anyway (even if my last three or four have been second hand and unlocked in some form, and until now i've had no problems)Well i'm still hopeful of finding a positive resolution, but if needs be, as a last resort, I too will probably cut me losses and peddle it on fleabay for as near to what I paid for it as possible, and then sit tight 'til the price of the brand new 3GS phones, direct from the network[s], come down in price a little or something; which'll hopefully save a lot more hassle.Cheers for the advice though bud; much appreciated!

Exactly what I thought but the blokey on the phone was adamant that they blocked it through the phone number and couldn't tell me anything if I gave him the imei. I assume it would be because iphones have to be "activated" with an o2 sim to get them going thus registering a number on the system and that’s how they block it. Also another guess for the checkmend report would be that if it was o2 that blocked it rather than a mobile insurance company it maybe wouldn't be classed under one of the reasons checkmend give. I'm sure they could tell you if it was though, if pushed hard enough. I just cut my losses and sold it on because the bloke I bought it from was a right kn*b and gave no help. If I was you I would see if the seller says anything that can help, if not try and get through to o2 and push them to give some answers.

Out of interest have you insured it yourself or had it all registered through o2? Just trying to think of ways you may be able to prove the old owner no longer owns it if it has been blocked. Not sure what you paid for it but a quick look on ebay seems you can get pretty close to £300 for faulty 3gs 16gb.

Original Poster

mmafia;7875116

Exactly what I thought but the blokey on the phone was adamant that they … Exactly what I thought but the blokey on the phone was adamant that they blocked it through the phone number and couldn't tell me anything if I gave him the imei. I assume it would be because iphones have to be "activated" with an o2 sim to get them going thus registering a number on the system and that’s how they block it. Also another guess for the checkmend report would be that if it was o2 that blocked it rather than a mobile insurance company it maybe wouldn't be classed under one of the reasons checkmend give. I'm sure they could tell you if it was though, if pushed hard enough. I just cut my losses and sold it on because the bloke I bought it from was a right kn*b and gave no help. If I was you I would see if the seller says anything that can help, if not try and get through to o2 and push them to give some answers. Out of interest have you insured it yourself or had it all registered through o2? Just trying to think of ways you may be able to prove the old owner no longer owns it if it has been blocked. Not sure what you paid for it but a quick look on ebay seems you can get pretty close to £300 for faulty 3gs 16gb.

They may use the phone number for reference, as it's sometimes the 'last used' phone or number and not the actual one in question that they end up blocking, depending on what the reason for blocking was; but i'm 99% certain it's an IMEI block, thus the IMEI number that they definitely use to do so, as this is the number that is communicated across the networks when requesting access (i.e. when making a phone call, sending text etc.), and if it's on the 'blacklist', then access is denied, regardless of the sim (thus 'number') used.

It wouldn't be a mobile insurance company that blocked it, only the network[s] block the IMEI, although the request may have come from the mobile insurance company instead of the 'person', for example, I guess; but even then, it would have to be for a justified reason, such as a report of loss, theft, insurance, fraud etc., and thus you would expect it to show up on the CheckMend website report when doing the search; otherwise CheckMend aren't providing the proper service either (!)

I've contacted the seller earlier in the week, as I said the seller is a user of HUKD as this is where the deal took place, but have yet to receive a reply (they don't appear to have been actively signed in since the 28th of January this year), so have had no luck there; and I have only recently contacted O2 (and Vodafone) via e-mail, whilst awaiting a response from the seller, to see firstly if I can obtain more information to present to the networks, but also to see how actively a response via email that i'll get from the network[s], without them reading from a script like they usually do when I phone them up with a problem..

Not had it insured, and haven't registered it with O2, as with the assumption made that the seller was in a position to sell the property of the item, then the assumption therefore is made that it had either ran it's course of any initial contract made, or that it was a PAYG phone to begin with, thus not strictly 'property' of O2, in any way, shape or form. I can prove that I have legitimately obtained it through the fact that I have a copy of the forum board, the private messages - which include bank details - and also the showing of a bank transaction showing the payment being made to the recipient (seller) in relation to the item in question, as referred to by the forum posts and private messages; i'm surely hoping that this will be enough to prove that the block should be lifted from an item now officially in my possession...?

Well, if push comes to shove and I have to sell on, then a clean near £300 wouldn't be too bad, but i'd still be out of pocket by a short fall of notes; and missing a phone I actually want to use (currently using my old phone, which isn't quite as desirable, putting it politely!); fingers crossed I can get somewhere with this, ey!

I appreciate the help and advice though, all the same bud :thumbsup:

Yeah I get ya, everything you said makes sense, think I was just clutching at straws with what it could have been! Like I said mine was exactly the same so would be interested to know what it all means! I was the same, wanted to try and get it all sorted but at the end of the day losing like £10 seemed easier than all the hassle of dealing with o2 etc....
I did contact o2 myself, via email, asking out of interest if there is anything they could do in that situation and the response I got was "I'm sorry to inform you that I can't comment on this." and that one would have to contact the point of purchase. So unsurprisingly being very unhelpful. Hopefully you get a better response. Good luck! Let me know if it gets sorted, would be interested to hear!

Original Poster

mmafia;7907467

Yeah I get ya, everything you said makes sense, think I was just … Yeah I get ya, everything you said makes sense, think I was just clutching at straws with what it could have been! Like I said mine was exactly the same so would be interested to know what it all means! I was the same, wanted to try and get it all sorted but at the end of the day losing like £10 seemed easier than all the hassle of dealing with o2 etc....I did contact o2 myself, via email, asking out of interest if there is anything they could do in that situation and the response I got was "I'm sorry to inform you that I can't comment on this." and that one would have to contact the point of purchase. So unsurprisingly being very unhelpful. Hopefully you get a better response. Good luck! Let me know if it gets sorted, would be interested to hear!

Well, so far i've had no response from O2; but Vodafone have been pretty quick in getting back an have so far said that they have checked the IMEI on the system and that the phone has had it's IMEI blacklisted because it has been reported stolen, and (similar to what you said about O2) then suggestively said to return it to the point of purchase for an exchange or refund; and that they would also not be able to assist in having the IMEI block removed, because it was not their property to begin with.

I then responded to this asking for details of which network (made an assumption it was O2, but wanted it to be confirmed) had placed the IMEI block on it, and I had a different, slightly less helpful, CS rep come back and say that they were 'unable to inform me of the reason for the IMEI block..'; and again, suggested that I return it to the point of purchase.So clearly, that particular rep was typing purely from a script and wasn't prepared to read the question properly, as he was responding to a question that I wasn't still asking, and that had already been answered by a previous CS rep anyway!

Have since replied back asking the same question again (confirmation of network that placed the block), but also asked if they were able to state when the block was put in place, as this would help me pin-point whether it was the seller on HUKD that has set the whole scam up, or whether they were just a further point in the wheel, and that there was another owner before this, too; although given the last response, i'm not too hopeful on getting a response from them that's actually going to be of much use - it's just frustrating, and I feel like i'm hitting my head against a brick wall, because clearly the networks have no interest in resolving a situation such as this, as it's easier to hide behind legalities and red-tape, that ensures that their ***** are covered well and truly; meanwhile leaving me in the brown stuff and substantially out of pocket.

I would rather make progress and get the whole thing resolved, but as I know that involving the bank (in trying to retrieve details of the recipient for the payment for example) and/or the police (for reporting fraudulent insurance claim on the back of a so called 'stolen' item that they have clearly sold to myself), would only prove to get me nowhere fast, and probably just make it an even worse situation for myself, as I could see myself out of pocket and without the item too, if i'm not careful - which is what takes the **** just a little bit really :thinking:
Post a comment
@
    Text