Groups

iPhone 4 retina display... The best there is?

Is iPhone 4's retina display the best there is out there? We see so many new phones being released (such as the Android ones), after the iPhone 4 but everytime the reviews always say: "the display is an impressive blah, blah, blah... not in the iPhone 4 retina display ballpark but still very good".

Is there a phone with a better display?

I'm a big fan of Android and have never been too keen on iPhone (since the few I had as secondary phones) but the display plus better battery performance than the Desire HD and Desire Z (my current phone) is starting to make me consider it.

20 Comments

Banned

Amoled screen in samsung galaxy s

Original Poster

Correct me if i'm wrong of course but I dont recall any reviewers saying the display on the Galaxy S was better than the iPhone 4? Maybe I overlooked/missed that point? oO

bykergrove

Pity its got nothing decent to use on it :-D haha

The retina screen is unique and its sharper than the galaxy

It has 326 pixels per inch which is more than the eye can read so its fantastically detailed
    Galaxy is top and iphone bottom
    http://www.careace.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iphone4-vs-galaxy-s-engadget-4d.jpg

Comparison shots
    engadget.com/pho…ss/

I've compared the two and I find the iphone screen better

heres a very indepth fight

careace.net/201…ar/

Edited by: "dandoc2" 27th Feb 2011

The I-phone has to have somthing to justify the cost.

I personaly would go for the galaxy over the i-phone, as i do prefer android, who are gaining the majority of the market share these days, with blackberry 2nd.

galaxy touch screen is so poor though actually quite a few Samsung phones I have bought for people have had pretty poor touch responsiveness

Without question the iphone screen is better than any phone on the market.
    It is the ONLY thing that makes it worth having over an android based device.

Jetpac

Without question the iphone screen is better than any phone on the … Without question the iphone screen is better than any phone on the market.It is the ONLY thing that makes it worth having over an android based device.

If it was without question, there wouldn't be a lot of difference of opinions from different reviewers. IPhone has the best resolution and pixel pitch, although that isn't necessarily a bit advantage given it is sufficiently high on other devices; at the same time, other phones have different panel technologies that offer many advantages over the iPhone (greater colour gamut, colour accuracy, wider viewer angles, less reflective screens, darker blacks, lower power consumption amongst others). No one phone currently has a screen that gets close to leading in all the commonly accepted benchmarks for categorising a display...

jah128

If it was without question, there wouldn't be a lot of difference of … If it was without question, there wouldn't be a lot of difference of opinions from different reviewers. IPhone has the best resolution and pixel pitch, although that isn't necessarily a bit advantage given it is sufficiently high on other devices; at the same time, other phones have different panel technologies that offer many advantages over the iPhone (greater colour gamut, colour accuracy, wider viewer angles, less reflective screens, darker blacks, lower power consumption amongst others). No one phone currently has a screen that gets close to leading in all the commonly accepted benchmarks for categorising a display...

From what ive seen i would much rather have the screen from the iphone compared to any other, and i am not an iphone fan AT ALL.

Original Poster

Jetpac

From what ive seen i would much rather have the screen from the iphone … From what ive seen i would much rather have the screen from the iphone compared to any other, and i am not an iphone fan AT ALL.

Yeah I have to second that. When my mate was showing his to me I had to politely smile, especially since he knew I was an android fan. The Galaxy S was impressive but I'd rather have the iPhone any day.

Original Poster

Jetpac

Without question the iphone screen is better than any phone on the … Without question the iphone screen is better than any phone on the market.It is the ONLY thing that makes it worth having over an android based device.

Hmm, the iPhone 4 does seem to have better battery life over its main rivals and the iPod function is a very nice integration/inclusion. I have to say that I also prefer its OSK over Android - but I havent tried Swype yet.

The Samoled screens in the galaxy s and others are awesome. Much deeper colours than can be achieved by the iphone and the black levels are much better too. Having said that the resolution isn't as high and the pentile matrix screen is really bad at displaying text. The letters look almost fuzzy. Also its only capable of displaying 16bit colours so you get lots of banding when view pictures and websites.

I hate to say it but the iPhone's retina display gets my vote.

Galaxy S is **** compared to the iPhone 4, the only screen that comes close is the Nexus S, but even then its the blue film over the screen making it look better than it actually is

iPhone 4 screen is fantastic but I think at 3.5" it's too small. I like the 4 inch Android phones, Samsung or HTC bring a "retina" resolution at that size and they have my money. Largely the same apps on Android anyway, generally the dross gets released on iOS and then the gems to Android second.

james_lfc

Galaxy S is **** compared to the iPhone 4, the only screen that comes … Galaxy S is **** compared to the iPhone 4, the only screen that comes close is the Nexus S, but even then its the blue film over the screen making it look better than it actually is

the nexus s screen looks false imo i dont like the colours i had it for a day if that before it was sold, the ip4 screen is second to none

This will split people all the time, all I can say is I have the iPhone 4 and when I took delivery, it blew me away and to this day it still blows me away. It is a superb piece of kit, and the screen is impressive.

the porter

the nexus s screen looks false imo i dont like the colours i had it for a … the nexus s screen looks false imo i dont like the colours i had it for a day if that before it was sold, the ip4 screen is second to none

Completely agree!
    I have a part-time job at the carphone warehouse and me and my work mate said exactly the same! we both own iP4's and nothing coming close to them!
    Edited by: "james_lfc" 28th Feb 2011

iPhone 4 is still the best screen I've seen. The Nexus S super amoled is alright but as per all super amoleds the colours are extremely saturated and 'false' looking.

Original Poster

Admin

iPhone 4 is still the best screen I've seen. The Nexus S super amoled is … iPhone 4 is still the best screen I've seen. The Nexus S super amoled is alright but as per all super amoleds the colours are extremely saturated and 'false' looking.

So far its turning into an iPhone 4 landslide... whoaaah slippy!

Banned

bykergrove

In the end it all depends on what you use the phone - and the screen - … In the end it all depends on what you use the phone - and the screen - for. The I9000 Galaxy S seems to be the best performer overall, but don't hesitate to go for an iPhone 4 if you need more resolution for those web pages.Nokia is really going the right way with its CBD technology too - it's just a matter of time before they lift that resolution cap and start using it to its fullest.And if don’t really care about image quality all that much... Well, grab yourself an LCD and save some cash to spend on apps.The only technology that has a long way to go to convince skeptics (us included) is S-LCD. It’s just too insignificant of an update for the price premium and the time it took to appear. It will need to boost its credentials and shed its image of an emergency cure for the AMOLED shortage. At least, Apple’s Retina display has shown it’s not all lost for LCDs.And while the future is with AMOLED, it’s not all rosy for them right now either. They offer excellent image quality and lower energy consumption – that should be enough to make them the definitive choice. But the negative effect of the present AMOLED shortage will be felt for some time.One possible outcome is that AMOLED screens could become even more desirable. Phones like the Samsung Galaxy S and Omnia 7 will get a major boost being the lucky few to sport a Super AMOLED screen. It’s curious to see what happens to Nokia’s CBD – the Clear Black coating is theirs but they still need to ensure continuous supply of AMOLED units.

lol you do know that engadget are apple fanbois?

summary from the link in post 4

I personally read and surf on my phone so I went for the dell streak. a massive bright crisp screen and full desktop browsing experience with flash support is why I went for it. for what i use it for, the dell streak has the best screen. Other people use their phones for other things and so the best screen for them may differ.

overall imo the Super-AMOLED screen are best. if dell had one in the streak i'd have to send it back faulty due to liquid damage.

I'm gonna be honest, having an iPhone (mine) and a Samsung Wave Original (Sisters) next to one another here, I can honestly say they're as good as each other...

The wave is AMAZING for watching movies and the screen appears slightly better from a distance, but unfortunately it is let down by a complete lack of decent apps.

It is very cheap though...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.44
      2. Need help with home Internet dropping out please33
      3. Jury service710
      4. connect tablet25

See more discussions