iPhone 4s question

Found 21st Apr
Hi if one of the tiny screws in 4s for battery is missing would that normally be why my iPhone won't come on and not charging????? The one that holds in the ground clip is there but other one is lost. Help appreciated in advanced thanks
Community Updates
PhonesAppleiPhone
26 Comments
It may be not seating correctly with a missing screw. Why not check some you tube videos
cmdr_elito6 m ago

It may be not seating correctly with a missing screw. Why not check some …It may be not seating correctly with a missing screw. Why not check some you tube videos

Thanks I've had a look on eBay but couldn't find anything on what the missing screw would do could u link ke if u find a video plz?
The screw that holds the battery plate and (if I recall) the ground plate would help keep the two connected to the mother board.

I'm unsure if them being loose would make a difference. I'd suggest using something rubber (non conductive ) and put pressure on that connection while you boot up the phone or attempt to charge. See if it reacts. If it doesn't, it could be a fault further in the phone or with the battery it's self.

ifixit.com/Gui…111
Edited by: "kos1c" 21st Apr
kos1c7 m ago

The screw that holds the battery plate and (if I recall) the ground plate …The screw that holds the battery plate and (if I recall) the ground plate would help keep the two connected to the mother board. I'm unsure if them being loose would make a difference. I'd suggest using something rubber (non conductive ) and put pressure on that connection while you boot up the phone or attempt to charge. See if it reacts. If it doesn't, it could be a fault further in the phone or with the battery it's self.https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4S+Battery+Replacement/7111

Hey thanks very much I'm dubious about this because a while back someone said u can have a electric shock by powering up without cover on. I don't fancy looking like Edward scissor hands tonight as I have a hot day date
machomansavage36 m ago

Hey thanks very much I'm dubious about this because a while back someone …Hey thanks very much I'm dubious about this because a while back someone said u can have a electric shock by powering up without cover on. I don't fancy looking like Edward scissor hands tonight as I have a hot day date

That's why you use something non conductive. So you don't get shocked. Rubber gloves, or rubber tip of a pencil etc.

Also I doubt the shock would be major. I've been electrocuted before by a light socket (was changing the cabling and didn't know someone switched on the fuse box during the work I carried out. Got a jolt but was fine).
kos1c18 m ago

That's why you use something non conductive. So you don't get shocked. …That's why you use something non conductive. So you don't get shocked. Rubber gloves, or rubber tip of a pencil etc. Also I doubt the shock would be major. I've been electrocuted before by a light socket (was changing the cabling and didn't know someone switched on the fuse box during the work I carried out. Got a jolt but was fine).

Lol I'll try thanks. Very hard to find the answer on google as its one of those things where this hasn't happened to many people but I'm assuming that it must be there for a reason. And this second screw is needed as it wouldn't be there otherwise??????
machomansavage1 h, 2 m ago

Lol I'll try thanks. Very hard to find the answer on google as its one of …Lol I'll try thanks. Very hard to find the answer on google as its one of those things where this hasn't happened to many people but I'm assuming that it must be there for a reason. And this second screw is needed as it wouldn't be there otherwise??????

I know the feeling. It's such a specific question that it's very difficult to find the answer through Google.

Worst case, you could buy the screws.

rover.ebay.com/rov…218
33676218-qKO4L.jpgiPhone 4 I bought ages ago.

Has no grounding plate or no screws. The person who sold it toe lied and said it didn't have a screen replacement or anything.

Still turns on without those screws or a grounding plate.

Yours sounds like faulty hardware.
kos1c52 m ago

[Image] iPhone 4 I bought ages ago. Has no grounding plate or no screws. …[Image] iPhone 4 I bought ages ago. Has no grounding plate or no screws. The person who sold it toe lied and said it didn't have a screen replacement or anything. Still turns on without those screws or a grounding plate. Yours sounds like faulty hardware.

Gutted. Thanks for looking into that only bought it three months ago. Sounds like I'll open a Paypal charge back as buyers have six months. Shake too as when I first bought it seller couldn't be more helpful was even happy assisting the iCloud lock that iPhone came with and he helped me resolve it within 10 mins
machomansavage44 m ago

Gutted. Thanks for looking into that only bought it three months ago. …Gutted. Thanks for looking into that only bought it three months ago. Sounds like I'll open a Paypal charge back as buyers have six months. Shake too as when I first bought it seller couldn't be more helpful was even happy assisting the iCloud lock that iPhone came with and he helped me resolve it within 10 mins

Did you try changing the battery recently on the phone?

I'm curious to what caused you to open the unit and take it apart (or discovered it was missing screws).
kos1c1 h, 9 m ago

Did you try changing the battery recently on the phone? I'm curious to …Did you try changing the battery recently on the phone? I'm curious to what caused you to open the unit and take it apart (or discovered it was missing screws).

Fixing for a friend who I originally bought the phone for. He was a idiot and lost one of the screws. I'm starting to think he also applied to much pressure to the battery connector side ways instead of top and bottom and has damaged this too. Info I've read online suggests this happens when removing the battery from Side ways
machomansavage9 h, 27 m ago

Thanks I've had a look on eBay but couldn't find anything on what the …Thanks I've had a look on eBay but couldn't find anything on what the missing screw would do could u link ke if u find a video plz?

ebay.co.uk/i/231880360047

Something like that perhaps? Check out the ifixit link someone posted above, these have videos which are also on you tube.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 22nd Apr
machomansavage22nd Apr

Fixing for a friend who I originally bought the phone for. He was a idiot …Fixing for a friend who I originally bought the phone for. He was a idiot and lost one of the screws. I'm starting to think he also applied to much pressure to the battery connector side ways instead of top and bottom and has damaged this too. Info I've read online suggests this happens when removing the battery from Side ways

Could you upload a few photos at all? To see if there's any damage to the connector/battery.

The battery connector should click into place and feel pretty firm once slotted. So it wouldn't come undone. If this doesn't feel like that maybe his damaged the battery pins or connector it's self. iPhone 4s batteries are only cheap to buy, so could be another route to take.

If your friend has damaged the phone it wouldn't be fair to involve the seller off eBay after attempting any sort of repairs (unless it was faulty when it arrived).
Edited by: "kos1c" 24th Apr
kos1c3 h, 1 m ago

Could you upload a few photos at all? To see if there's any damage to the …Could you upload a few photos at all? To see if there's any damage to the connector/battery. The battery connector should click into place and feel pretty firm once slotted. So it wouldn't come undone. If this doesn't feel like that maybe his damaged the battery pins or connector it's self. iPhone 4s batteries are only cheap to buy, so could be another route to take. If you're friend has damaged the phone it wouldn't be fair to involve the seller off eBay after attempting any sort of repairs (unless it was faulty when it arrived).

Ah I'll leave him to it now not my problem really isit? Thanks for all ur help tho. Like I said was working after he took out the old battery and put in the new one so I'm thinking it can't be the connector if it was working when he put in the new one???
machomansavage17 m ago

Ah I'll leave him to it now not my problem really isit? Thanks for all ur …Ah I'll leave him to it now not my problem really isit? Thanks for all ur help tho. Like I said was working after he took out the old battery and put in the new one so I'm thinking it can't be the connector if it was working when he put in the new one???

Ah, I must've missed that.
If it was working after the battery swap it could be a vaultage issue or the battery had shorted out and caused further damage.

At least it isn't an expensive phone/loss. So not the end off the world.
kos1c8 m ago

Ah, I must've missed that. If it was working after the battery swap it …Ah, I must've missed that. If it was working after the battery swap it could be a vaultage issue or the battery had shorted out and caused further damage.At least it isn't an expensive phone/loss. So not the end off the world.

Yeah thanks man. I got it so he could put his amazing sim only plusnet sim init that I RECOMMEND him. New battery should we try u think?
machomansavage8 m ago

Yeah thanks man. I got it so he could put his amazing sim only plusnet sim …Yeah thanks man. I got it so he could put his amazing sim only plusnet sim init that I RECOMMEND him. New battery should we try u think?

You could give it ago. But I can't make any promises that it will work. As I don't know what the actual fault is.

If the cost is low for a battery and you don't mind losing a few quid. It is an option.
kos1c14 m ago

You could give it ago. But I can't make any promises that it will work. As …You could give it ago. But I can't make any promises that it will work. As I don't know what the actual fault is. If the cost is low for a battery and you don't mind losing a few quid. It is an option.

Yeah do that because like we said if it was connector wouldn't of held new battery for days before it died so might as well give this a shot
kos1c22nd Apr

You could give it ago. But I can't make any promises that it will work. As …You could give it ago. But I can't make any promises that it will work. As I don't know what the actual fault is. If the cost is low for a battery and you don't mind losing a few quid. It is an option.

Turns out it was a old dodgy battery that I was initially sold. Bought a new one and phone came straight on
machomansavage26 m ago

Turns out it was a old dodgy battery that I was initially sold. Bought a …Turns out it was a old dodgy battery that I was initially sold. Bought a new one and phone came straight on

Ah nice. Glad it's working now
kos1c2 h, 18 m ago

Ah nice. Glad it's working now

Thanks for all your input tho appreciate it
machomansavage34 m ago

Thanks for all your input tho appreciate it

That's alright. At least we managed to pin point it towards a good result.
kos1c40 m ago

That's alright. At least we managed to pin point it towards a good result. …That's alright. At least we managed to pin point it towards a good result.

Funny thing is the sellers ceased trading on eBay. Thank god Paypal have a 6 month option unlike eBay 30 day one. He or she must of scammed to many people
machomansavage7 m ago

Funny thing is the sellers ceased trading on eBay. Thank god Paypal have a …Funny thing is the sellers ceased trading on eBay. Thank god Paypal have a 6 month option unlike eBay 30 day one. He or she must of scammed to many people

That's the only downside to eBay and cheap phone parts. You can't tell if the parts are genuine, Chinese knock offs or just resold used parts.
I've had a fair share of dodgy batteries in phones and had 'offical' batteries sent out which was 2 year old used batteries that would hold a 40% charge.

My ex had an iPhone 4s with new batteries. Screen replacements and I believe antennas replacement. One day her phone just exploded during a charge. She heard a loud pop and saw something fly across the room. Was the iPhone 4s and the battery had swollen and burst.
kos1c13 m ago

That's the only downside to eBay and cheap phone parts. You can't tell if …That's the only downside to eBay and cheap phone parts. You can't tell if the parts are genuine, Chinese knock offs or just resold used parts. I've had a fair share of dodgy batteries in phones and had 'offical' batteries sent out which was 2 year old used batteries that would hold a 40% charge. My ex had an iPhone 4s with new batteries. Screen replacements and I believe antennas replacement. One day her phone just exploded during a charge. She heard a loud pop and saw something fly across the room. Was the iPhone 4s and the battery had swollen and burst.

Omg that's scary as hell. Did u know that apple are still signing iOS 6.1.3 via ipsw.me ???? Notice a lot of difference compared to iOS 9 on 4s however iOS 6 hasn't much app support at all now so can't barely download apps however it's super fast in comparison. Keep that site to hand as u can also download old versions of iTunes. If u do downgrade it back to iOS 6 hold shift on a Windows computer after selecting the iOS 6 file and iTunes does the rest. Apple effected loads of devices when they print updates that why I blocked two specific sites from my router. I never get that annoying little "1" on settings wheel and my se is still running iOS 9.3.3 from out of the box. It's so fast and didn't like the looks of iOS 10 or 11
machomansavage12 m ago

Omg that's scary as hell. Did u know that apple are still signing iOS …Omg that's scary as hell. Did u know that apple are still signing iOS 6.1.3 via ipsw.me ???? Notice a lot of difference compared to iOS 9 on 4s however iOS 6 hasn't much app support at all now so can't barely download apps however it's super fast in comparison. Keep that site to hand as u can also download old versions of iTunes. If u do downgrade it back to iOS 6 hold shift on a Windows computer after selecting the iOS 6 file and iTunes does the rest. Apple effected loads of devices when they print updates that why I blocked two specific sites from my router. I never get that annoying little "1" on settings wheel and my se is still running iOS 9.3.3 from out of the box. It's so fast and didn't like the looks of iOS 10 or 11

Thanks for the information.
I transferred to android years ago (when the note 3 came out) and never looked back.
My ex was the last one to have an iOS device and well being my ex, I no longer need to be tied to Apple. :P

Doubt I'd go back to Apple in the future. I'm addicted to my S8 currently
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants