IPHONE 5 Has finally overheated when charging to point screen cracked

Found 24th Jul 2013
we took my girlfriends iphone 5 to the apple store sunday to sort an issue with it turning off and an issue with the battery as when its on charge it gets so hot sometimes you cant hold it and the battery life is terrible

last night after being on charge she unplugged it and when pressed the button on the phone the screen cracked into a spiderweb formation from the button out to the left side and she was left with filings of glass all under the button and over her thumb and all over the screen.

i have insurance with vodafone but im not willing to pay £100 when this is a phone fault that we tried to report but got turned away being told it was fine, there are reports online of peoples screens doing this due to either extreme heat or cold and some people have gone into apple and got a new phone but some have not

i have not called apple yet but just wanted some advice on IF i get told they wont do anything where else i can go such as trading standards or would someone related to health and safety or the CE marking be better?

I Could pay £100 but still the phone would have the battery issue and this could happen again

any help appreciated
Community Updates
21 Comments
Return to the apple store. They will have a record of your visit and you can say that after they checked it, the screen cracked etc.
cracked lcd becaue of charging?
Wasnt straight after Mark. we went apple sunday the damage happened last night

they may be fine about it iv printed off messages on forums from people who this has happened to both on the iphone 5 and the 4 for backup.

had she dropped it id just pay the £100 and deal wth it but in this instance theres no way im doing that, she doesnt even want another iphone now incase it happens again

stvoritel

cracked lcd becaue of charging?

Due to heat yes, i have know this happen to a friend in the past. Apple wouldn't change it it though.
Those iphone 5 s are dodgy! These an investigation of a woman in China who died from answering her phone whilst plugged in (charging). There's also another investigation on another bloke who's in a coma from doing the same think!

They think it's something to do with the metal edging of the phone!
ei8hty5ive

Those iphone 5 s are dodgy! These an investigation of a woman in China … Those iphone 5 s are dodgy! These an investigation of a woman in China who died from answering her phone whilst plugged in (charging). There's also another investigation on another bloke who's in a coma from doing the same think! They think it's something to do with the metal edging of the phone!

Hmm, it looks like they were using fake 3rd party chargers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57594449-37/iphone-related-death-in-china-could-be-linked-to-fake-charger/
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/off-brand-iphone-charger-shocks-man-into-a-coma

http://www.chinaeconomicreview.com/apple-iphone-electrocutions-china

EDIT:
And the lady who died, she had just got out of the bath.

guardian.co.uk/tec…ock
Edited by: "KillFelix" 24th Jul 2013
KillFelix

Hmm, it looks like they were using fake 3rd party … Hmm, it looks like they were using fake 3rd party chargers.http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57594449-37/iphone-related-death-in-china-could-be-linked-to-fake-charger/http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/off-brand-iphone-charger-shocks-man-into-a-comahttp://www.chinaeconomicreview.com/apple-iphone-electrocutions-chinaEDIT:And the lady who died, she had just got out of the bath.http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/15/iphone-death-china-electric-shock

That's probably true actually. 80% or so 'official' gear in China is dodgy so it wouldn't surprise me!
On the forums it seems its touch and go what Apple will do

Iv called trading standards beforehand now to see what they say they have directed me towards the statory rights of the supply of goos and sevices act 1982 and if i have to go to apple store i print this act in defense that the product is dangrous and faulty

its shocking to think that a phone that gets charges regularly would do this what if its a child that picks the phone up

im ringing apple soon will let you know whats happening
called them and agent called te manchester arndale store and tld me nothing until friday, once i told her the phone cracked and shattered due to the ehat from charging there bacame an appt for anytime between the call at 12:30 and 6pm

gonna take all my aperwork and evidence / legal docs and see what happens
ei8hty5ive

That's probably true actually. 80% or so 'official' gear in China is … That's probably true actually. 80% or so 'official' gear in China is dodgy so it wouldn't surprise me!

Including the iphones which are also made in China.
Havince

called them and agent called te manchester arndale store and tld me … called them and agent called te manchester arndale store and tld me nothing until friday, once i told her the phone cracked and shattered due to the ehat from charging there bacame an appt for anytime between the call at 12:30 and 6pmgonna take all my aperwork and evidence / legal docs and see what happens

Your screen cracked from charging.......sure it did.
if you phone up apple support not a store and let them know what happened they will over ride whatever the store says and then you can pop in for a replacement.

I had a similar issue where my iphone 4s was overheating and apple would replace it... later on in the day smoke started coming out of the phone then i followed the above procedure and it had been replaced.
...this is kind of putting me off from getting an iphone 5 don't want to get electrocuted/blown up lol.
ChrisUK

Your screen cracked from charging.......sure it did.

Havince, Chris is calling you a liar. (_;)
In just saying what the Apple guys will say....

It's like me taking my car to a garage saying that all 4 tyres have blown when filling up with petrol. Not sure it would even be possible to crack the screen with heat (well unless it was slightly cracked anyway....)
EdWasHere

...this is kind of putting me off from getting an iphone 5 don't want … ...this is kind of putting me off from getting an iphone 5 don't want to get electrocuted/blown up lol.

Wait for the ip5s/6
ei8hty5ive

Wait for the ip5s/6

It's an iPhone 5S
it is possible plenty of comments online of peoples phones cracking etc due to heat on/ from the phone goes all the way back to the iphone 4

had no joy at all at apple. the guy at vodaphone said it clearly shows the shattering started at the button but yeah apple didnt care looked online and apple just turn anyone away

Employee at apple was a joke she just looked at it and said £170 wasnt even interested in the fact of how it happened, Manager was just as bad, so it never happens but when i put my printiouts of actually forum comments with people its happened to didnt have an answer,

luckly it was only £25 excess at voda *dont know why i thought it was £100* so just went thru them in the end
Edited by: "Havince" 25th Jul 2013
My daughter's iPhone 5c cracked while charging. Apple has the phone now and I'm not sure they will replace it. Sprint won't either.
lgrube

My daughter's iPhone 5c cracked while charging. Apple has the phone now … My daughter's iPhone 5c cracked while charging. Apple has the phone now and I'm not sure they will replace it. Sprint won't either.

Thanks for that, you one post wonder you!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants