Expired

iPhone 5 - Orange/T-Mobile/EE Help?

Found 30th Dec 2012
So if I were to buy and iPhone 5 upgrade from Orange brand new and sealed would a T-Mobile sim work in it I have been reading on some places that EE ships out iPhone 5's to Orange and T-Mobile customers and locks onto the first one that is inserted.

Can anyone confirm please because I have found a good deal and want to make sure before I buy.

Please let me know if you have an iPhone 5 and are on Orange/T-Mobile and are able to use both or know if you can or can't.

Thanks in advance sorry for essay.
Community Updates
36 Comments
yeah we buy single configuration stock from Apple so im sure it wil work, will test tomorrow for you if you'd like?
Yes please and im sorry to be a bimbo but who do you work for and what do you mean we buy single configuration stock? Thanks for replying.
Yes a T-mobile and Orange both work in mine
NP normally it means we buy one stock for the 3 brans EE4G/Orange/TMobile I should have a couple at work i can switch the sims to see if they work for you
godfather999

Yes a T-mobile and Orange both work in mine

awesome saves me time tomorrow
No please still check lol because I read online that T-Mobile locked iPhones take both however I read that Orange locked iPhones dont take both.
Did I read that the iphone5 will automatically lock to the network of the first sim that you install?
^ Thats what I heard dont know if its true.
Xippi

Did I read that the iphone5 will automatically lock to the network of the … Did I read that the iphone5 will automatically lock to the network of the first sim that you install?

Yes, this is kind of true. If you buy an iphone form the Apple store sim free it will not lock to any network. If it is brought by a service provider it will lock to the first sim that is inserted into the phone however Orange and T-mobile although still different companies, run off the same signal and accept each others sim.
EE is ORANGE is T-MOBILE and vice versa all the same company...however if you don't buy the iPhone 5 SIM free unlocked from apple IT WILL lock to the first SIM...loads of forums complaining about it where as those who bought direct from apple = no complaints...a little script from apple UK below...

About the unlocked iPhone.

Unlocked iPhone isn't tied to one network, so you have the freedom to choose any supported GSM network worldwide. Buy unlocked iPhone at the Apple Online Store, then find a SIM-only plan for iPhone. Or contact your existing carrier to continue with your current plan.
iPhones locked to Orange work on T-Mobile and vice-versa. I Know since we've had a few in the family. In fact all phones locked to Orange or T-Mobile sold since the merger to form Everything Everywhere (EE) work on the other network.
Apple supplied iPhones - unlocked always

Network supplied iPhones - locked to that network (with the exception of Tmobile/Orange/EE which should all work in each others phones)

3rd party supplied phones (P4U, CPW etc) - lock to first sim inserted
Orange and t mobile works on mine although I was told by tmobile it wouldn't accept a orange sim and it did
Does anyone know if an Orange iPhone 5 will accept a Virgin sim?? I know my Virgin sim works in my iPhone 4 but I could jailbreak that if it didn't...

Thanks
You can't get a Virgin nano sim AFAIK
dimebars

You can't get a Virgin nano sim AFAIK

All changed, existing customers can get nano for free.

community.virginmedia.com/t5/…418
I dont believe they will work but happy to be proven wrong
Anth2210

I dont believe they will work but happy to be proven wrong

Oh no don't say that, well my nano sim should arrive tomorrow then I will test and report back.!
Family member bought an orange pay as you go iphone 5 from ee shop in their 20% off sale last week. We got a normal Virgin sim cut down to a nano one, and it works absolutely fine in it. Funnily enough, we haven't tried an orange or tmobile sim in it, but presume they would still be fine and it didn't just lock to virgin as it was the first sim put in it.
Thanks Flake99 il give it a go :-£
Finally test and confirmation it works with t mobile WOOP!
I've read a lot of people talk about t-mobile/orange network phones working with each others sim cards, in my experience it's not been as straight forward as people have speculated.

Please, when confirming they DO work, make sure you've dialled out successfully from that handset with both network sims inserted and not just seen the operator name appear AND also check if other networks also work so we're not just talking about an unlocked handset...clarification is needed, help is appreciated but the area is so grey with success/no success that no one can say for sure with guarantees hat the real deal is.
Well it was an Orange upgrade and I put a T-Mobile sim in it and called 150 it works and then I called the sim from my other phone and it works. I cant test it with orange as I am not with them or have there sim.
decoy7

I've read a lot of people talk about t-mobile/orange network phones … I've read a lot of people talk about t-mobile/orange network phones working with each others sim cards, in my experience it's not been as straight forward as people have speculated.Please, when confirming they DO work, make sure you've dialled out successfully from that handset with both network sims inserted and not just seen the operator name appear AND also check if other networks also work so we're not just talking about an unlocked handset...clarification is needed, help is appreciated but the area is so grey with success/no success that no one can say for sure with guarantees hat the real deal is.

I appreciate your concern. However, there are various facts on the ground in terns of T-Mobile, Orange and EE (collectively Everything Everywhere).

The Group Board of Everything Everywhere dictates policy, whereas each company still makes operational decisions until such time as their individual brand is fully disposed of and a single brand remains. So, what does this mean in terms of handsets. My observations below applies only to handsets sold directly by either T-Mobile or Orange, not Apple or CarPhone Warehouse or any other third party.

1. A handsets (excluding iPhones) manufactured before the merger of T-Mobile and Orange to form Everything Everywhere are locked to either Orange or T-Mobile. The only way these handset will work with each other's network is if the network ID is identical. There appears to be no real plans for this to happen immediately.

2. iPhones manufactured before the merger of T-Mobile and Orange to form Everything Everywhere is the a slightly hit and miss affair. There appears to have been a policy to do a mass update of the Apple database to allow iPhones to work across both networks. However, it is possible that some handsets have not been correctly updated.

3. All handsets (including iPhones) manufactured post merger work with SIMs from either network. This is Everything Everywhere policy (despite what the clueless CS from either Orange or T-Mobile says) and has been tested ad-infinitum without any issues.

I hope this clarifies the issues.
tpol

I appreciate your concern. However, there are various facts on the ground … I appreciate your concern. However, there are various facts on the ground in terns of T-Mobile, Orange and EE (collectively Everything Everywhere).The Group Board of Everything Everywhere dictates policy, whereas each company still makes operational decisions until such time as their individual brand is fully disposed of and a single brand remains. So, what does this mean in terms of handsets. My observations below applies only to handsets sold directly by either T-Mobile or Orange, not Apple or CarPhone Warehouse or any other third party.1. A handsets (excluding iPhones) manufactured before the merger of T-Mobile and Orange to form Everything Everywhere are locked to either Orange or T-Mobile. The only way these handset will work with each other's network is if the network ID is identical. There appears to be no real plans for this to happen immediately.2. iPhones manufactured before the merger of T-Mobile and Orange to form Everything Everywhere is the a slightly hit and miss affair. There appears to have been a policy to do a mass update of the Apple database to allow iPhones to work across both networks. However, it is possible that some handsets have not been correctly updated.3. All handsets (including iPhones) manufactured post merger work with SIMs from either network. This is Everything Everywhere policy (despite what the clueless CS from either Orange or T-Mobile says) and has been tested ad-infinitum without any issues.I hope this clarifies the issues.

Thanks for that clarification, makes more sense.
Tommy_K

Does anyone know if an Orange iPhone 5 will accept a Virgin sim?? I know … Does anyone know if an Orange iPhone 5 will accept a Virgin sim?? I know my Virgin sim works in my iPhone 4 but I could jailbreak that if it didn't..[quote=Tommy_K]Does anyone know if an Orange iPhone 5 will accept a Virgin sim?? I know my Virgin sim works in my iPhone 4 but I could jailbreak that if it didn't... Thanks

Yes i bought a ee/orange/tmobile phone and trimmed my virgin sim card down and works fine.
Hello... Help us if you can please. We buy Apple iPhone5 from ebay.com.The seller sent us item without informing that the phone are locked to T-Mobile UK network. We are not from UK, and we do not have access to this services. What should i do now?

Thanks in advance ...
respectfully
Mindaugas.
All you can do is send it back and ask them for a refund I would say make sure you send it tracked. If the don't want to refund you make a case and say the item wasn't as described
I believe that EE/Orange/T.Mobile now all same company/provider, Virgin have not decided to provide 4G but involved when using Tube inLondon so must use nanosim provided by the above mentioned.
does that mean that the three mobile nano sim for iphone 5 will work with iphone 5 locked to t-mobile seeing as ee bought three mobile thus making ee = orange + t-mobile +3 mobile ??

greetings from UK

Phil
EE bought 3 mobile? When?
If i bought an iphone 5s from ee and the first sim put in it was 3 would it work and lock to that network or will it already be locked to EE/orange/t-mobile?
lauren0227

If i bought an iphone 5s from ee and the first sim put in it was 3 would … If i bought an iphone 5s from ee and the first sim put in it was 3 would it work and lock to that network or will it already be locked to EE/orange/t-mobile?

Already be locked to EE network. Should work on any network that use the EE masts tho. Eg Virgin.
Does iPhone 5 on ee work with orange sim x
checka

Does iPhone 5 on ee work with orange sim x

Call EE/Orange and ask them?

oO
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions