iphone 6s plus locked to EE, how to get it unlocked

Found 20th Jan 2016
Hello,

Recently bought a new Iphone 6s plus from ebay but it turned out to be ee locked. can't blame the seller as he never mentioned it's unlocked. Now i spoke to him and he says it's new contract and i can't request unlock for next 6 months, Can anyone suggest a quick cheaper way to get it unlocked ?

I would be using it with vodafone.

41 Comments

do iphones not lock to first network when sim is inserted?

Ebay,mate. But not cheap, £86.99
No other ways I'm afraid...

Can't blame the seller? If the phone is locked to EE then it would be reasonable for the seller to have stated this in his listing. It is wholly unreasonable for a seller to list a mobile phone on an auction site without making reference that the phone is locked to a particular network.

If I were you, I would ask him for a full refund and if he refuses you can raise a dispute through Paypal.

Original Poster

LINK Are they any good, they are only charging £3.99 for unlock.

The carrier can unlock your phone (usually for a charge) - EE have a link ee.co.uk/hel…ice but I'm not sure how it works because you bought it second hand?

Alternatively there's OfficialiPhoneUnlocks.com that looks cheaper than the above ebay link. They seem to get a lot of good reviews as well.

Edited by: "GlanzaV" 20th Jan 2016

zayf

Forget this....
Nobody unlocks it cheaper than £86,unfortunately...
I would also return the phone to seller.

GlanzaV

The carrier can unlock your phone (usually for a charge) - EE have a link … The carrier can unlock your phone (usually for a charge) - EE have a link http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device but I'm not sure how it works because you bought it second hand?Alternatively there's [url=https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/unlock-iphone/EE-UK/]OfficialiPhoneUnlocks.com[/url] that looks cheaper than the above ebay link. They seem to get a lot of good reviews as well.

avoid these jokers

zayf

missed one word there From£3.99

Original Poster

mattmerch

missed one word there From£3.99

actually when i put all the information in, including imei, they only asked for £3.99 like they say, it's calculated after imei.

not sure if they are legit though.

lot of scams about be careful old trick seems to be cheap intial price and hidden in the terms is thats like a deposit you cant get back and actual price is far higher thats what OfficialiPhoneUnlocks.com are known for loook at this http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/www-officialiphoneunlock-co-uk-anyone-used-them-reviews-1195550

Grill

Can't blame the seller? If the phone is locked to EE then it would be … Can't blame the seller? If the phone is locked to EE then it would be reasonable for the seller to have stated this in his listing. It is wholly unreasonable for a seller to list a mobile phone on an auction site without making reference that the phone is locked to a particular network.If I were you, I would ask him for a full refund and if he refuses you can raise a dispute through Paypal.

This.

Don't be a victim although I would say go raise a dispute.

Don't return it without going so.

Edited by: "willhay555" 20th Jan 2016

Hi I have a mate and im in Preston, he works in phone shop and is very legit. he unlocks them for £50.

I would also add that the person who sold you the phone may also be in breach of the EE Terms and Conditions if he sold you the phone within the first 6 months of the contract.

Your attention is drawn to section 10.3 of the EE Terms & Conditions which are available by double clicking here.
Edited by: "Grill" 20th Jan 2016

Grill

I would also add that the person who sold you the phone may also be in … I would also add that the person who sold you the phone may also be in breach of the EE Terms and Conditions if he sold you the phone within the first 6 months of the contract.Your attention is drawn to section 10.3 of the EE Terms & Conditions which are available by double clicking here.

Yep, that is correct. He certainly is!

If you top up a PAYG EE card and register it, you an fill in the online unlock form and (not promising anything BUT) they unlocked three phones for me this way - one was an iPhone 6 bought from Grainger Games that was less than 6m old, the other was a Lumia 930 that I didn't even have in my possession (for a friend of mine) and the other was a Galaxy S6 bought by myself on EE PAYG. Neither of these qualified to be unlocked by EE but they did it. They didn't even charge for one of them.

They charge £8.99 if it actually works. Probably worth a go. There's an old thread on HUKD about it.

misterleoni

They charge £8.99 if it actually works. Probably worth a go. There's an … They charge £8.99 if it actually works. Probably worth a go. There's an old thread on HUKD about it.

Phone must be registered for at least 6 months.
No unlock earlier.

Rimi

Phone must be registered for at least 6 months. No unlock earlier.

Did you actually read what I typed? My point was that in spite of this policy (which has been around for a long while) they still unlocked the phones this way.

misterleoni

Did you actually read what I typed? My point was that in spite of this … Did you actually read what I typed? My point was that in spite of this policy (which has been around for a long while) they still unlocked the phones this way.

TRIED & TESTED -NO WAY!!!!!!

Rimi

TRIED & TESTED -NO WAY!!!!!!

Well...so have I. What do you mean 'no way'? There's an entire thread about it on here.

misterleoni

Well...so have I. What do you mean 'no way'? There's an entire thread … Well...so have I. What do you mean 'no way'? There's an entire thread about it on here.

They won't unlock iPhone ,unless it has been registered on your account for 6 months. The do accept for unlock,but then refund money back after 30 days. Tried earlier,no way you can unlock it before 6 months.Few mates tried too-no luck!

Grill

Can't blame the seller? If the phone is locked to EE then it would be … Can't blame the seller? If the phone is locked to EE then it would be reasonable for the seller to have stated this in his listing. It is wholly unreasonable for a seller to list a mobile phone on an auction site without making reference that the phone is locked to a particular network.If I were you, I would ask him for a full refund and if he refuses you can raise a dispute through Paypal.

Yep do this and send it back saying you want a refund

I've done it myself - three times - via the PAYG method. They certainly didn't refund me. And none of the devices were over six months old. I guess I'm just a liar or something...

misterleoni

I've done it myself - three times - via the PAYG method. They certainly … I've done it myself - three times - via the PAYG method. They certainly didn't refund me. And none of the devices were over six months old. I guess I'm just a liar or something...

I believe it used to be that way but isn't any longer. When we did it last year it was just a case of grabbing an EE sim card, putting £10 on it and requesting they unlock it.

When I bought a iPhone it had to be unlocked by the person who is selling. They have to contact EE it cost about £20 but they were happy to do it.
They should have stated locked to EE.
Ask them to unlock or ask for a refund if no joy start a case with eBay. Hope this helps.

Original Poster

amazon54

When I bought a iPhone it had to be unlocked by the person who is … When I bought a iPhone it had to be unlocked by the person who is selling. They have to contact EE it cost about £20 but they were happy to do it. They should have stated locked to EE. Ask them to unlock or ask for a refund if no joy start a case with eBay. Hope this helps.

I am trying but he isn't responding.
I am happy to 20 if they can get it unlocked for me

Sorry they will not unlock for anyone but the original owner. Tell him you are going to claim money back of eBay. If you call and tell them you have had no response from seller they will intervene and if they get no response will give you your money back.
Good luck.

Take it in to apple. tell them wifi or something is intermittent. They will swap for another which will lock to first network you insert. atleast you can use it then.

Original Poster

master10

Take it in to apple. tell them wifi or something is intermittent. They … Take it in to apple. tell them wifi or something is intermittent. They will swap for another which will lock to first network you insert. atleast you can use it then.

this is worth a shot i guess.

zayf

this is worth a shot i guess.

You seem to be going round the houses a lot, what's your objecting to just asking EE to do it?
ee.co.uk/hel…ice

master10

Take it in to apple. tell them wifi or something is intermittent. They … Take it in to apple. tell them wifi or something is intermittent. They will swap for another which will lock to first network you insert. atleast you can use it then.

lol stop talking rubbish apple refurbs are like for like

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

You seem to be going round the houses a lot, what's your objecting to … You seem to be going round the houses a lot, what's your objecting to just asking EE to do it?http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device

coz i don't have ee sim and am not ee customer

the porter

lol stop talking rubbish apple refurbs are like for like

You stop talking rubbish if you dont know anything. Ive swapped iphones previously and they locked to the first network i used. They are not going to have special stock of each network to hand out. But instead handsets that they can give to anyone. Maybe you should stop talking trash yourself.

Why are you bothering even trying to contact the seller any more?? Just raise a dispute with eBay and let them deal with it. They will give you your money back and they will contact the seller and demand he takes the phone back as it's not as described, don't even bother chasing them any more

bobdylan

Why are you bothering even trying to contact the seller any more?? Just … Why are you bothering even trying to contact the seller any more?? Just raise a dispute with eBay and let them deal with it. They will give you your money back and they will contact the seller and demand he takes the phone back as it's not as described, don't even bother chasing them any more

seller never claimed it was unlocked

zayf

coz i don't have ee sim and am not ee customer

Neither were we, it was easy enough to order a pay as you go sim, stick £10 on it and request the unlock.

EndlessWaves

Neither were we, it was easy enough to order a pay as you go sim, stick … Neither were we, it was easy enough to order a pay as you go sim, stick £10 on it and request the unlock.

Are you talking about iPhone 6S unlocking?....

master10

You stop talking rubbish if you dont know anything. Ive swapped iphones … You stop talking rubbish if you dont know anything. Ive swapped iphones previously and they locked to the first network i used. They are not going to have special stock of each network to hand out. But instead handsets that they can give to anyone. Maybe you should stop talking trash yourself.

Actually the porter is correct, I had an exchange via Apple and the refurb initially worked on all networks, However a few days later it returned to it's original network lock ( O2 ) of the faulty iphone.

It's correct that iphones supplied from places like Carphone Warehouse lock to the first network. They are registered on Apples activation server and locked.

Apple link your old imei to your new one and is then locked to it's original network via the activation server, It takes a few days.

When you unlock an iphone, the network request it's unlocked off the Apple server. Only the networks and select few Apple employees have access to the the server. Third parties who unlock iphones must have access to the server but it's most likely via people that work for either the networks or Apple etc..

Why are folks continually advising the OP to raise a dispute?

Seller has done no wrong.

A buyer who is spending several hundreds of pounds (presumably) on an item should really ensure that said item meets there criteria?

Rimi

Are you talking about iPhone 6S unlocking?....

It was an iPhone but not a 6s, I think it was a 4s or something.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants