IPhone 7 battery drain problem

Posted 11th Sep
My daughters iphone7 that she has had from new (jan 2018) has been working fine up until some of the last iOS 13.5 updates when she started telling me the battery was draining too fast. Charging it at 100% it can go to under 10% in a matter of hours.

Tried all the recommendations online like resetting networks and even done a full factory reset but to no avail.

The battery performance was around 80% but over the last few weeks has now dropped down to 67%.

Got it booked in this weekend with an Apple store to check and can see there is a £49 charge to replace the battery, but is that the type of battery life you should expect from a iphone or is this one faulty? Either way I assume I have no choice but to pay the £49 replacement?
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Daughters 8 loses charge quickly or so she says but it’s constantly using notifications on the likes of Snapchat which is using so much of her battery. But hers isn’t as low as a percentage as yours.

Apple will either tell you it’s an app fault draining it or a battery fault. If you bought it from Apple they might replace the battery since it’s only a couple of years old for free. If not they might suggest going to where you bought it from under consumer rights act but that’s a minefield of its own.
Edited by: "eslick" 11th Sep
go into settings the ios update might of turned on an app or something what drains the battery. if battery health is 67% you will need new battery. but in fairness best place to go is the apple shop..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 11th Sep
The iPhone 7 always had a disappointing battery life even from new. It's still a good phone so I think that £49 to replace the battery is worth it. The phone shouldn't drain from 100% to 10% in a couple of hours as that sounds too fast, but it's definitely the case that you can charge it up in the morning and then have to do it again in the evening. You should also have a look at the settings and make sure that are giving you the best battery life they can (ie brightness setting, background refresh of apps off, location settings on only when using app, low power mode enabled, etc).
If the battery health is below 80% then Apple will replace it for £49 no issues, if it was above 80% then they will probably question it but will still change it.

It would be the battery and a new battery will solve your issue, i had a similar issue on a 5SE where i literally watched my battery draining like a countown timer and a new battery sorted this.

Hope it gets sorted for you good luck!
It’s an iPhone 7. If you’re not buying their latest greatest kit, it won’t work well. This is how they make money
if she has the Shpock app & Facebook app, they could be part of the problem , allow me to explain:

I used the Facebook app on my android phone, and it used to eat the battery like crazy, I deleted the Facebook app and everything worked fine. (this might not be the same with iPhone, I’ve not been on Facebook since I’ve had a iPhone)

as for Shpock, I have used this on my iPhone, and it’s an awful app, my battery would die within 3 hours, as soon as I deleted it things got better.

I have an iPhone 7 from new, so I don’t know how many years that is, my battery status is ‘service’

if I take it off charge at 3pm on 92%, it will be on between 10-20% when I go bed at 2am, and I’m a heavy user I would say
Go to "Settings"

Go to "Battery" (Scroll down to see it. It has a GREEN square next to battery)

scroll down and it will show you which apps have been draining your battery. - It is possible than an app has recently been updated and is now constanltly draining the battery.

(also, on this screen, if you click Battery Health, then it will show you how the "maximum capacity" of your battery - if less than 80% then replacing the battery should help)

If you get apple to replace the battery then it will cost you £49 but a lot of independent shops will do it for about £25.
Helpful56711/09/2020 20:05

Go to "Settings"Go to "Battery" (Scroll down to see it. It has a GREEN …Go to "Settings"Go to "Battery" (Scroll down to see it. It has a GREEN square next to battery)scroll down and it will show you which apps have been draining your battery. - It is possible than an app has recently been updated and is now constanltly draining the battery.(also, on this screen, if you click Battery Health, then it will show you how the "maximum capacity" of your battery - if less than 80% then replacing the battery should help)If you get apple to replace the battery then it will cost you £49 but a lot of independent shops will do it for about £25.

Mine says maximum capacity 71%, does that mean if I charge it to say 100%, it’s going to perform like it only got 71% battery?
Thanks for your comments. We have already set everything to battery saving settings and it still drains. There is no Facebook on there, we did look at the apps and it was tick tock and snapchat that appeared to be using the battery the most. We even deleted them for a few day’s but no difference.

This morning her phone was at 100% when she got to school in the morning the phone had dropped to 50% and when she went into school they have to be switched off all day and put away, when she came out of school even though it was off it was on 15% when she turned it back on.

It’s a shame as I would have expected it to last longer - even a battery showing 67% you would still expect it to work, but the drain at this pace makes it almost unusable unless your next to a charger all day.
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 11th Sep
Mendoza11/09/2020 20:13

Mine says maximum capacity 71%, does that mean if I charge it to say 100%, …Mine says maximum capacity 71%, does that mean if I charge it to say 100%, it’s going to perform like it only got 71% battery?

That’s right.
When an iphones maximum capacity drops below 80% it is usually when you'll start having major battery issues. The solution is to have the battery changed.
My iphone 6 drops from 100% to 20% within 20mins of useage. Battery health 84%. All notifications, location settings, background refresh apps etc. set to off. Have to charge the thing over 12 times a day. Hardly use it.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 12th Sep
Frankie7712/09/2020 01:18

My iphone 6 drops from 100% to 20% within 20mins of useage. Battery health …My iphone 6 drops from 100% to 20% within 20mins of useage. Battery health 84%. All notifications, location settings, background refresh apps etc. set to off. Have to charge the thing over 12 times a day. Hardly use it.

Take it in the shop, have them look at it. You probably have something on in background, then again it’s a 6 year old phone...
Mendoza11/09/2020 20:13

Mine says maximum capacity 71%, does that mean if I charge it to say 100%, …Mine says maximum capacity 71%, does that mean if I charge it to say 100%, it’s going to perform like it only got 71% battery?

Yes
xtreme12311/09/2020 19:55

It’s an iPhone 7. If you’re not buying their latest greatest kit, it won’t …It’s an iPhone 7. If you’re not buying their latest greatest kit, it won’t work well. This is how they make money

What a load of rubbish they support their products longer than any android phones out there. They makes things slow down to save on battery or you replace the battery but that’s common sense as things progress older chips can’t compete with new ones. My daughters had 6s’s from new till this year so two, 5 year old phones both no issue. I only upgraded them as the se was great value..
Bluefusion11/09/2020 21:04

Thanks for your comments. We have already set everything to battery saving …Thanks for your comments. We have already set everything to battery saving settings and it still drains. There is no Facebook on there, we did look at the apps and it was tick tock and snapchat that appeared to be using the battery the most. We even deleted them for a few day’s but no difference.This morning her phone was at 100% when she got to school in the morning the phone had dropped to 50% and when she went into school they have to be switched off all day and put away, when she came out of school even though it was off it was on 15% when she turned it back on.It’s a shame as I would have expected it to last longer - even a battery showing 67% you would still expect it to work, but the drain at this pace makes it almost unusable unless your next to a charger all day.

Things happen, you were just unlucky I guess or something is wrong and they will find it out hopefully...
L_K12311/09/2020 19:50

If the battery health is below 80% then Apple will replace it for £49 no …If the battery health is below 80% then Apple will replace it for £49 no issues, if it was above 80% then they will probably question it but will still change it. It would be the battery and a new battery will solve your issue, i had a similar issue on a 5SE where i literally watched my battery draining like a countown timer and a new battery sorted this. Hope it gets sorted for you good luck!

There isn’t a 5SE
BadMF12/09/2020 10:07

There isn’t a 5SE

Not offically but I call the 2016 SE 5SE and the 2019 SE the SE to not confuse people
Well not sticking to the official names is one way to confuses people.
L_K12312/09/2020 10:08

Not offically but I call the 2016 SE 5SE and the 2019 SE the SE to not …Not offically but I call the 2016 SE 5SE and the 2019 SE the SE to not confuse people

SE gen 1 and SE gen 2 maybe easier or SE2016 SE2019.
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 12th Sep
Just been in the Apple store and confirmed it’s a battery issue, being replaced at a cost of £49.

Thanks All
Post a comment
@
    Text