iPhone 7 Home button not working after replacement?

LocalFound 12th Jun 2017
Repaired my iPhone 7 screen and after switching it back on it seems the home button doesn't work anymore, anyone else had this issue? And is it repairable?
Community Updates
AskiPhoneiPhone 7
12 Comments
Did you have the screen repaired by Apple or someone else? If it was an approved repairer, then take it up with Apple. if it was someone you found down the market, then take it up with them, but don't expect a lot of interest from Apple as you've probably breached the terms of your warranty
It is a common issue after repairs on screen. But like the last post says. If you dealt with an authorised repairer take it up with Apple. If it's unauthorised repair agent used you can go back to them i the Consumer Rights Act.
Original Poster
I've read online it quite a lot of people have stated the home button doesn't work after a repair, so just wanted clarification from someone else if they've had the same issue.

Had the phone fixed by a local shop
If they have used a different button other than the original from the phone it won't work.
The original home button is paired to the mainboard, so if they swapped that it wont work and afaik only Apple can re-calibrate it.
Begs the question why you would walk out of the repair shop without testing it first??
Did anybody actually read the post?? He replied it himself. Did you do a straight swap screen for screen, without swapping the home button over? This would make it not work. If you still have the home button on the cracked screen change it back over and I think it should work.

Follow this to swap it over
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 12th Jun 2017
Since Touch ID has been included the screens, logic boards and home button have all been registered to each other in some way. On the 5s, 6 and 6s families it was the logic board and Touch ID were linked at manufacture meaning the Touch ID home button will never work on any other device unless replaced and registered by apple only.

On the iPhone 7 this has been taken a step further to include the screen in the component link registration. So if you change the screen your home button won't work unless apple repair it and register the new screen to the logic board and Touch ID module.
The choices you have is to enable assistive touch with the old screen then replace and us that or put the old screen back on and pay apple to repair the screen to get the home button functionality back.

Joff
Dannyrobbo

Did anybody actually read the post?? He replied it himself. Did you do … Did anybody actually read the post?? He replied it himself. Did you do a straight swap screen for screen, without swapping the home button over? This would make it not work. If you still have the home button on the cracked screen change it back over and I think it should work.Follow this to swap it over

Seems you did not read post number 3
Original Poster
joffa81

Since Touch ID has been included the screens, logic boards and home … Since Touch ID has been included the screens, logic boards and home button have all been registered to each other in some way. On the 5s, 6 and 6s families it was the logic board and Touch ID were linked at manufacture meaning the Touch ID home button will never work on any other device unless replaced and registered by apple only.On the iPhone 7 this has been taken a step further to include the screen in the component link registration. So if you change the screen your home button won't work unless apple repair it and register the new screen to the logic board and Touch ID module. The choices you have is to enable assistive touch with the old screen then replace and us that or put the old screen back on and pay apple to repair the screen to get the home button functionality back.Joff

That's what I have been told from the repair shop when I asked them
kool3737

I've read online it quite a lot of people have stated the home button … I've read online it quite a lot of people have stated the home button doesn't work after a repair, so just wanted clarification from someone else if they've had the same issue. Had the phone fixed by a local shop

Dannyrobbo

Did anybody actually read the post?? He replied it himself. Did you do … Did anybody actually read the post?? He replied it himself. Did you do a straight swap screen for screen, without swapping the home button over? This would make it not work. If you still have the home button on the cracked screen change it back over and I think it should work.Follow this to swap it over

Seems like you're the one who doesn't do the reading?? He had it fixed by a local shop...
I stand corrected, with awful spelling too. Anyway the same remedy still applies it just complicates matters if they've thrown the part away.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants