Groups

iPhone 7 Plus 128GB or Pixel XL 128GB? Anyone got the Pixel XL so far?

It's that time of year... A new mobile phone is wanted. Currently undecided between these two, always been an Android user but do use Apple for other devices.

The Pixel XL is extremely tempting especially to have a play around with VR etc.

Has anyone got it and used it?

9 Comments

ipswich78

It's that time of year... A new mobile phone is wanted. Currently … It's that time of year... A new mobile phone is wanted. Currently undecided between these two, always been an Android user but do use Apple for other devices.The Pixel XL is extremely tempting especially to have a play around with VR etc.Has anyone got it and used it?

I watched a review of the two and i know the google phone lacked some specs compared to the iphone. I was going to get the XL myself but I ended up opting for the iPhone 7 Plus in the end.

I have the smaller Pixel phone, and it is a stonking device. Runs everything brilliantly, and is super snappy. Camera on the device is great, and it has decent battery. I'm personally happy with mine. My friend has the XL, and he loves it. It gets much better battery life than my Pixel despite having a higher resolution screen. If I were you, I'd try to play with both. If you have a Carphone Warehouse nearby, they should hopefully have one on display. You can play with the iPhone 7+ in any Apple store.

I'm in the same position but tempted to wait for the Galaxy S8....

I really like the look of the pixel but interested in comments on these two points which made me pause to pull the trigger on the pixel, which is the large `chin` on the bottom of the device where it looks like a button used to live but now doesn't, my second concern was water proofing as I like to use mine while biking. Cheers.

sledwich

I really like the look of the pixel but interested in comments on these … I really like the look of the pixel but interested in comments on these two points which made me pause to pull the trigger on the pixel, which is the large `chin` on the bottom of the device where it looks like a button used to live but now doesn't, my second concern was water proofing as I like to use mine while biking. Cheers.

Top and bottom bezels are needed if you want to keep a device slim otherwise the housing for charging, camera and headphones needs to go behind everything else increasing the depth of the device. Or sacrifice the physical size of the battery.

Personally if you have other Apple ecosystem devices I'd stick with Apple. If price is a concern and thinking about a XL I'd also consider the 6P which is still a terrific device and half the price. For myself I'd love to move to the Pixel XL but really just can't bring myself to warrant the cost over the extra specs from the 6P.
    Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 5th Dec 2016

Original Poster

It's a bit of a dilemma on these two phones.

Plus points for the Pixel XL:
    - It's 'pure' Android, i've always used and liked Android Smartphones, but always but up with other manufacturers software in the past
    - VR is cool, but niche
    - Excellent screen
    - Excellent camera
    - I use a lot of Google services

Plus points for iPhone
    - I have an iPad so familiar with the OS
    - Waterproofing is extremely useful (not essential but a shame the pixel isn't)
    - I prefer the look of the iPhone (not a decision swayer but a comment none the less)
    - I love tech, never has an iPhone so fancy a change
    - Likely to be a higher resale value, and also probably easier to sell at the end of the contract

Cost wise, they are about the same - turns out I can get the iPhone 7 Plus with 256GB for an extra £50...

Decisions, decisions...

I'd take the pixel any day personally.

Brother has the pixel, although its a good phone I dont like the price, id say go with iPhone if you're spending that much money as it'll be worth more when it comes to ridding of it in the future.

Original Poster

jordni

Brother has the pixel, although its a good phone I dont like the price, … Brother has the pixel, although its a good phone I dont like the price, id say go with iPhone if you're spending that much money as it'll be worth more when it comes to ridding of it in the future.

Decided to got for the iPhone. Had it a couple of days now, so far pretty impressed. Nothing to note that I 'miss' so far.

The actual deal I went for worked out at £175 cheaper (lifetime of the contract) than the equivalent Pixel!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk11
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      3. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick88

See more discussions