Iphone 7 - What Case?

Found 20th Sep 2017
Recently purchased an Iphone 7.

Looking to protect the phone from scratches and marks - so need a case that truely covers the majority of the metal casing, and has holes for the various ports.

Would be nice to find one that also has a credit card slot and pocket for cash.

I work in a professional office environment.

Asking the community for recommendations.

My thanks to any that choose to contribute.

Libertas

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
36 Comments

any case will do, also get tempered glass screen protector.
thing is, even if you have a cover and some sand goes under it, the sand will still scratch your phone.
so get whatever you like and looks nice
BTW> iphone 7? you are worried about 2 year old phone? no matter its condition by the time you are done with it there wont be any resale value

mattsk15 m ago

any case will do, also get tempered glass screen protector.thing is, even …any case will do, also get tempered glass screen protector.thing is, even if you have a cover and some sand goes under it, the sand will still scratch your phone.so get whatever you like and looks niceBTW> iphone 7? you are worried about 2 year old phone? no matter its condition by the time you are done with it there wont be any resale value

since a 5s was recently £130 to sell to stores like Game, I think the OP who I seem to remember got theirs for about £330 or less it makes total sense to think about retail value. I recently got one for £267 and can get over £300 for it now a couple of months later so worth keeping it in good condition.

I got the one below, excellent case and a good price, make sure you get a good screen protector, tempered glass ones are better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spi…rid

eslick13 m ago

since a 5s was recently £130 to sell to stores like Game, I think the OP …since a 5s was recently £130 to sell to stores like Game, I think the OP who I seem to remember got theirs for about £330 or less it makes total sense to think about retail value. I recently got one for £267 and can get over £300 for it now a couple of months later so worth keeping it in good condition.I got the one below, excellent case and a good price, make sure you get a good screen protector, tempered glass ones are better.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-assorbimento-urto-aria-cuscino-Absorption-042-cs20446-UH-Nero/dp/B01GIVXBVY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505898491&sr=8-4&keywords=iPhone+7+Case%2C+Spigen%C2%AE+%5BUltra+Hybrid

hardly any electronics gain on value especially phones... just because you have earned few quid does not make it commonplace

mattsk1 h, 8 m ago

hardly any electronics gain on value especially phones... just because you …hardly any electronics gain on value especially phones... just because you have earned few quid does not make it commonplace

that's not the point, buy an iphone today and look after it and you can get a couple of hundred back in a couple of years time, and why wouldn't you want that. Spend all of that money and just chuck it away isn't a good plan, look after it and get something back. We had 5s for years bought them for £96 on the o2 refresh deals and then sold them for £130 2 and a bit years later, they were replaced by SEs which cost £120. Of course not everyone will be as lucky as that but if you buy a 7 now £500 plus and in two / three year time can get even £100 back for it its better than nothing. Unless you have money to burn but then you wouldn't be on here if that's the case

I had a tempered glass screen protector for my Iphone 6 which fitted perfectly. However, I'm struggling to get one for the iphone 7 as I've ordered about 4 now from amazon and they all dont seem to adhere up to the edge (i.e. halo effect). Not sure if its a problem with my screen and its slightly curvier than others. Whats the recommendation here?

eslick2 h, 16 m ago

that's not the point, buy an iphone today and look after it and you can …that's not the point, buy an iphone today and look after it and you can get a couple of hundred back in a couple of years time, and why wouldn't you want that. Spend all of that money and just chuck it away isn't a good plan, look after it and get something back. We had 5s for years bought them for £96 on the o2 refresh deals and then sold them for £130 2 and a bit years later, they were replaced by SEs which cost £120. Of course not everyone will be as lucky as that but if you buy a 7 now £500 plus and in two / three year time can get even £100 back for it its better than nothing. Unless you have money to burn but then you wouldn't be on here if that's the case

I think you are missing the point.
iphone 7 is already a 2 year old device (which people are selling due to 8 and X release) meaning it has devalued significantly
at the moment is sells for 350-400 quid, what do you think it will be worth in a year or two?
spending more than a £10 on a cover is pointless because sale value is often dependent on person who will want to buy it and not the condition as people expect general wear an tear for such an old device.
At the moment there are 2 iphone 7 BNIB unsealed.... one is going for 400 another for 500.... care to explain?

mattsk18 m ago

I think you are missing the point.iphone 7 is already a 2 year old device …I think you are missing the point.iphone 7 is already a 2 year old device (which people are selling due to 8 and X release) meaning it has devalued significantlyat the moment is sells for 350-400 quid, what do you think it will be worth in a year or two?spending more than a £10 on a cover is pointless because sale value is often dependent on person who will want to buy it and not the condition as people expect general wear an tear for such an old device.At the moment there are 2 iphone 7 BNIB unsealed.... one is going for 400 another for 500.... care to explain?

I really don't know if you are trolling or just have more money than sense. Spend a tenner, on a device you paid hundreds is not pointless, you obviously didn't read what I said or just reply for the sake of it. Let me put it this way forget about the iphone for the moment, if you bought something for £500 and in two years time you had the chance to get £350 for it if you looked after it, or get a few quid because you scratched it which would you prefer. I know what I would.

The iphones for £350 to £400 aren't devalued, that's just what happens to them, but the person has had two years of use, and many would have got the phone on contracts so the actual phone cost is subsidised but reality is if they put a case on it they can get £350 without the case £100. pay a tenner and get an extra couple of hundred yeah lets not bother.

Original Poster

mattsk28 m ago

I think you are missing the point.iphone 7 is already a 2 year old device …I think you are missing the point.iphone 7 is already a 2 year old device (which people are selling due to 8 and X release) meaning it has devalued significantlyat the moment is sells for 350-400 quid, what do you think it will be worth in a year or two?spending more than a £10 on a cover is pointless because sale value is often dependent on person who will want to buy it and not the condition as people expect general wear an tear for such an old device.At the moment there are 2 iphone 7 BNIB unsealed.... one is going for 400 another for 500.... care to explain?

Appreciate your input.

Not looking to spend an excessive amount. Probably upto £25.

Whenever is does come time to sell - a phone in excellent condition, will always attract a higher price than one which is not.

Even if we take your £10 pricepoint - some cases will be better than others. My goal is to stimulate discussion and ask for suggestions - that will help hone in on the better choices out there.

So - can anyone point out cases that do truely protect the metal casing competently. I aim to keep the phone in good nick. When the time comes - it should get a better price.

(I'm also interested in a good tempered screen protector if anyone cares to point a good one out).

Keep the suggestions coming peeps!

Libertas.

The iPhone 7 is one year old, not two, but even if it was it’s worth keeping in as good a condition as you can. Even a 3/4 year d iPhone is worth money today. Think mattsk is a troll 🏻

toninhopapoose16 h, 50 m ago

The iPhone 7 is one year old, not two, but even if it was it’s worth k …The iPhone 7 is one year old, not two, but even if it was it’s worth keeping in as good a condition as you can. Even a 3/4 year d iPhone is worth money today. Think mattsk is a troll 🏻

I swear thought there was a 7s (that is apple release cycle after all). anyhow selling a phone that is 2 generations (8 and X) behind is not going to give a lot of return
Libertas17 h, 24 m ago

Appreciate your input.Not looking to spend an excessive amount. Probably …Appreciate your input.Not looking to spend an excessive amount. Probably upto £25.Whenever is does come time to sell - a phone in excellent condition, will always attract a higher price than one which is not.Even if we take your £10 pricepoint - some cases will be better than others. My goal is to stimulate discussion and ask for suggestions - that will help hone in on the better choices out there.So - can anyone point out cases that do truely protect the metal casing competently. I aim to keep the phone in good nick. When the time comes - it should get a better price.(I'm also interested in a good tempered screen protector if anyone cares to point a good one out).Keep the suggestions coming peeps!Libertas.

I'm the most minimalist person so for me Nilkin Nature cases nillkin-case.com/ind…932
or Baseus Air cases
0.6mm thick dont add bulk. Yes i know little protection from dropping but its been proven that protection depends on how your phone falls and not what will protect it. And you are spending money on a nice looking phone that after 10s from unboxing you cover with a case....

mattsk20th Sep

mattsk, I am not sure anyone misses the point. Just saying.

iPhone 7 is a year old I think you’ll find as it was only released last year. Maybe you are thinking of the iPhone 6S and SE.

People sell things all the time to fund new devices and purchases all the time and the better the condition the more likely it will bring a higher value.

Spending £10 or £39 on a case is purely dependant on the person itself and what they want. Who are we to judge. I have used official Apple and also Speck cases in my time of having Apple products which is pushing around 9 years.

These days it is the following process I go for:

tempered glass screen protector
case of some form or flavour usually an Apple silicon case of late usually because they replace them free if they develop a fault or get shiny

all before it leaves the house.

Current phone has an official iPhone silicone case (bought from CEX for £15 and was new and sealed, and a Belkin screen protector fitted by Apple for £24.99)
This goes on fine in store and leaves a slight edge uncovered on the phone due to the curved glass.

CJ.
Edited by: "indigobox" 21st Sep 2017

mattsk13 h, 33 m ago

I swear thought there was a 7s (that is apple release cycle after all). …I swear thought there was a 7s (that is apple release cycle after all). anyhow selling a phone that is 2 generations (8 and X) behind is not going to give a lot of return I'm the most minimalist person so for me Nilkin Nature cases https://www.nillkin-case.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4932or Baseus Air cases0.6mm thick dont add bulk. Yes i know little protection from dropping but its been proven that protection depends on how your phone falls and not what will protect it. And you are spending money on a nice looking phone that after 10s from unboxing you cover with a case....

You just keep digging the hole :

eslick21st Sep

You just keep digging the hole :

how? please define what warrants better sale between those two phones?
ebay.co.uk/itm…8fg

ebay.co.uk/itm…tHU

what makes one more expensive than the other? what dumb excuse will you find?
let me just remind you that both phones were identical, sealed, brand new, unlocked
Edited by: "mattsk" 3rd Oct 2017

mattsk8 h, 55 m ago

how? please define what warrants better sale between those two …how? please define what warrants better sale between those two phones?http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPhone-7-Plus-128GB-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-BRAND-NEW-AND-SEALED-/192306758975?epid=225208814&hash=item2cc660453f:g:sagAAOSwFqVZusY-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPhone-7-128GB-Jet-Black-Smartphone-New-Sealed-In-Box-/222647573359?epid=225303708&hash=item33d6d45b6f:g:D8QAAOSw6AlZvhoFwhat makes one more expensive than the other? what dumb excuse will you find?let me just remind you that both phones were identical, sealed, brand new, unlocked

you keep doing this to yourself they aren't identical one is a 7 and one a 7 plus different phones and different selling prices and its ebay which means nothing something can sell for a pound on there and the exact same item for a tenner it just depends who is bidding at the time and how they bid. Just also noticed one sale has ended the other still has 2 days to go, most bids will come at the end of the auction so the price now will probably go up even further.

As I have said before and this is something you don't get look after something and it will be worth more in the future than something that you don't look after. Take a car, care for it, get it serviced and look after it and it will be worth more when you come to sell it than one that hasn't been looked after, surely you cant argue with that.

As I said at the beginning, if someone spends £600 on a phone when it first came our or within the year of it coming out uses it for 5 years like the 5S and can sell it for £130 if they put a case on it and a protector or in 5 years they get nothing which is better. Again you cant argue with that unless £130 is lose change to you.
Edited by: "eslick" 22nd Sep 2017

eslick11 m ago

you keep doing this to yourself they aren't identical one is a 7 and one a …you keep doing this to yourself they aren't identical one is a 7 and one a 7 plus different phones and different selling prices and its ebay which means nothing something can sell for a pound on there and the exact same item for a tenner it just depends who is bidding at the time and how they bid. Just also noticed one sale has ended the other still has 2 days to go, most bids will come at the end of the auction so the price now will probably go up even further.As I have said before and this is something you don't get look after something and it will be worth more in the future than something that you don't look after. Take a car, care for it, get it serviced and look after it and it will be worth more when you come to sell it than one that hasn't been looked after, surely you cant argue with that.As I said at the beginning, if someone spends £600 on a phone when it first came our or within the year of it coming out uses it for 5 years like the 5S and can sell it for £130 if they put a case on it and a protector or in 5 years they get nothing which is better. Again you cant argue with that unless £130 is lose change to you.

sorry wrong links... (actually not.... user relisted the item) now I have changed it to satisfy your smug face....
both sales have links with ended auctions now as well so you really have nothing to pick now.

but hey lets take your example of a car.....
a car that costs 1000 quid (change the figure as you wish).
you service it look after it etc..
you suddenly get a scratch on the doors... cost of repair (painting it up) 300
how much will you sell the car with and without a scratch?

Do I have to find an auction with an iphone 4 sale just to prove you wrong?

mattsk2 m ago

sorry wrong links... (actually not.... user relisted the item) now I have …sorry wrong links... (actually not.... user relisted the item) now I have changed it to satisfy your smug face.... both sales have links with ended auctions now as well so you really have nothing to pick now.but hey lets take your example of a car.....a car that costs 1000 quid (change the figure as you wish). you service it look after it etc..you suddenly get a scratch on the doors... cost of repair (painting it up) 300how much will you sell the car with and without a scratch?Do I have to find an auction with an iphone 4 sale just to prove you wrong?

forget it, no point arguing with you, don't take care of anything, see how that goes for you. Good luck.

Original Poster

Tempered glass screen protector - when fitting it - it seems to be hit and miss.
Some end up with poor results - as dirt or air bubbles are left underneath.

indigobox - seems to be saying that apple will fit one for you - is this an official service?

Again - for the case - I am looking for one that truly encapsulates the phones metal case - and doesn't leave large portions of the top and bottom of the metal case exposed + screen protector.

I was hoping to find one that would have space for a bank card, and maybe some for a couple of £5 notes.

My thanks to any that choose to contribute.

Looking for recommendations and advice,

Libertas

Libertas2 h, 43 m ago

Tempered glass screen protector - when fitting it - it seems to be hit and …Tempered glass screen protector - when fitting it - it seems to be hit and miss.Some end up with poor results - as dirt or air bubbles are left underneath. indigobox - seems to be saying that apple will fit one for you - is this an official service?Again - for the case - I am looking for one that truly encapsulates the phones metal case - and doesn't leave large portions of the top and bottom of the metal case exposed + screen protector.I was hoping to find one that would have space for a bank card, and maybe some for a couple of £5 notes.My thanks to any that choose to contribute.Looking for recommendations and advice,Libertas

I have the Maxtech one on my 7 and no issues at all with it, many of the good companies will replace or refund if you have issues. Ankers are excellent used them on iphones and ipads and when the kids managed to damage them their life time warranty is excellent.

eslick6 h, 3 m ago

forget it, no point arguing with you, don't take care of anything, see how …forget it, no point arguing with you, don't take care of anything, see how that goes for you. Good luck.

typical, you know you are wrong so you suddenly stop the discussion...

mattsk3 h, 59 m ago

typical, you know you are wrong so you suddenly stop the discussion...

no i know i am right and you have more money than sense

Original Poster

indigobox22 h, 33 m ago

mattsk, I am not sure anyone misses the point. Just saying. iPhone 7 is a …mattsk, I am not sure anyone misses the point. Just saying. iPhone 7 is a year old I think you’ll find as it was only released last year. Maybe you are thinking of the iPhone 6S and SE.People sell things all the time to fund new devices and purchases all the time and the better the condition the more likely it will bring a higher value.Spending £10 or £39 on a case is purely dependant on the person itself and what they want. Who are we to judge. I have used official Apple and also Speck cases in my time of having Apple products which is pushing around 9 years.These days it is the following process I go for:tempered glass screen protector case of some form or flavour usually an Apple silicon case of late usually because they replace them free if they develop a fault or get shinyall before it leaves the house. Current phone has an official iPhone silicone case (bought from CEX for £15 and was new and sealed, and a Belkin screen protector fitted by Apple for £24.99)This goes on fine in store and leaves a slight edge uncovered on the phone due to the curved glass.CJ.

indigobox,

What is your opinion on the Apple Store Fitted Belkin ScreenCare+ version?

The net is full of complaints about it not reaching the edges of the usable screen - causing rainbow effects?

I really an considering this - but want to know how far the criticisms are true in actual day to day use.

I want a case that envelops the phone and doesn't leave big swathes of the metal case uncovered. But I want to pair it with a screen protector that protects the screen face too.

Hi Libertas,

i like it. Been using them since the iPhone 6s.

i think the rainbow effect they talk about is when you look at your screen side on, so you can see the edge of the glass and the edge of the protector on a very thin line. Personally I’ve never noticed it from day to Day usage as I look at my phone square on.

You get used to it not going edge to edge due to the shape of the glass being curved. If it has a problem I go back into Apple and they refit another so customer service is top notch. Yeah I paid a premium for it and much of the Apple haters will hate me for paying Apple prices but it’s good.

id go the glass version over the plastic though which costs a little more. Also of if they install it and it has bubbles I get them to install another as I want it bubble free.

the protector coupled with the official case makes it well protected.

CJ.
Edited by: "indigobox" 24th Sep 2017

I've had one of these on my 6s of the last year or so and it's great. I've dropped it a few times and no damage at all.

mous.co/b/

I backed them on Indiegogo , but now they've sorted their own site out.

Original Poster

Cakeboy7924th Sep

I've had one of these on my 6s of the last year or so and it's great. …I've had one of these on my 6s of the last year or so and it's great. I've dropped it a few times and no damage at all.https://www.mous.co/b/I backed them on Indiegogo , but now they've sorted their own site out.

Cakeboy79,

Those look good but seem rather expensive.

After indigobox's recommendation on the offical in store belkin glass protector - I'm seeking a case which covers from the edge of the tempered glass all the way around.

Is there anyway to get the case you recommended cheaper that the £34.99 on their website?

Libertas21 m ago

Is there anyway to get the case you recommended cheaper that the £34.99 on …Is there anyway to get the case you recommended cheaper that the £34.99 on their website?

Not to my knowledge, I got it from Indiegogo when they were only floating the idea and got it for about £20 after the exchange rate. Unfortunately, that's the price they go for now, although they are cheaper than the official Apple ones and better. It's definitely saved my phone more than once and the way I look at it is that it's cheaper than my insurance excess

Original Poster

Does anybody else have suggestions for a case for the Iphone 7?

I'll be going with the official Belkin in-store tempered glass protector (thanks indigobox)

The cases Cakeboy79 suggested look fantastic - but are too expensive for me at £34.99.

Still looking for a case around £15 (ish) that will provide good coverage around the front edges - so that the gap to the screen protector is as small as possible.

Libertas2 h, 23 m ago

Does anybody else have suggestions for a case for the Iphone 7? I'll be …Does anybody else have suggestions for a case for the Iphone 7? I'll be going with the official Belkin in-store tempered glass protector (thanks indigobox)The cases Cakeboy79 suggested look fantastic - but are too expensive for me at £34.99. Still looking for a case around £15 (ish) that will provide good coverage around the front edges - so that the gap to the screen protector is as small as possible.

No joy on a referral, but I can recommend the following:

Pretty iPhone 7 case

I've just bought one of these for my 8+ to tide me over until Mous release their case at the end of November. My wife has the one for the standard 8 which is the same as the 7. It looks good enough and has a raised lip on the front so a screen protector shouldn't leave a gap. Use the code S2IPHONE to get 40% off so the total price is £7.79
Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 29th Sep 2017

Original Poster

Cakeboy7929th Sep

No joy on a referral, but I can recommend the following:Pretty iPhone 7 …No joy on a referral, but I can recommend the following:Pretty iPhone 7 caseI've just bought one of these for my 8+ to tide me over until Mous release their case at the end of November. My wife has the one for the standard 8 which is the same as the 7. It looks good enough and has a raised lip on the front so a screen protector shouldn't leave a gap. Use the code S2IPHONE to get 40% off so the total price is £7.79

Cakeboy79,

Have you seen the feedback regarding the case you mention (Amazon).

A number of users are claiming that the dye used in the rubber ends up staining the case of the iphone.

Is it a misunderstanding or have I got it right?

Don't know if good, but I'm looking at a Shieldon iphone 8 case (fits iphone 7) as it has an improved TPU plastic holder for the phone that has cut outs along bottom of phone instead of one long opening of the iphone 7 specific version.

shieldoncase.com/iph…tml

If you don't have a zero exchange rate card then you're stuck with Paypal exchange rate
Edited by: "Arstar" 2nd Oct 2017

mattsk22nd Sep

sorry wrong links... (actually not.... user relisted the item) now I have …sorry wrong links... (actually not.... user relisted the item) now I have changed it to satisfy your smug face.... both sales have links with ended auctions now as well so you really have nothing to pick now.but hey lets take your example of a car.....a car that costs 1000 quid (change the figure as you wish). you service it look after it etc..you suddenly get a scratch on the doors... cost of repair (painting it up) 300how much will you sell the car with and without a scratch?Do I have to find an auction with an iphone 4 sale just to prove you wrong?

Poor example, the cases in question don't cost 30% of the handset value.....

BUT, that car without the scratch 'should' fetch more than the car with a scratch, same goes for phones...
Edited by: "andynicol" 2nd Oct 2017

andynicol10 h, 17 m ago

Poor example, the cases in question don't cost 30% of the handset …Poor example, the cases in question don't cost 30% of the handset value.....BUT, that car without the scratch 'should' fetch more than the car with a scratch, same goes for phones...

by how much does a car without a scratch go by? how much does a proper (to manufacturer standard) scratch repair cost....

mattsk12 h, 28 m ago

by how much does a car without a scratch go by? how much does a proper (to …by how much does a car without a scratch go by? how much does a proper (to manufacturer standard) scratch repair cost....

Like I said, a scratched car is a poor example to compare with a scratched mobile phone

BUT, as you're the one making the comparison answer this please ;

2 identical cars, same spec, mileage etc, 1 is scratched, 1 is pristine -

from an owner/sellers perspective - which one would you rather be selling..?

from a buyers perspective - which one would you expect to get cheaper..?
Edited by: "andynicol" 3rd Oct 2017

andynicol58 m ago

Like I said, a scratched car is a poor example to compare with a scratched …Like I said, a scratched car is a poor example to compare with a scratched mobile phone BUT, as you're the one making the comparison answer this please ;2 identical cars, same spec, mileage etc, 1 is scratched, 1 is pristine - from an owner/sellers perspective - which one would you rather be selling..?from a buyers perspective - which one would you expect to get cheaper..?

please do entertain everyone here and explain the ebay links ive pasted some time ago. none of you smart asses even attempted to answer this

Original Poster

Bringing thread back on focus.

Iphone 7 cases - Suggestions, experiences & thoughts please.

We have three suggestions in this dicussion. Still looking for more ideas / suggestions - as I will only be buying it - once the belkin screen protector has been put on.

Open to suggestions and advice.

Libertas
Edited by: "Libertas" 3rd Oct 2017

andynicol1 h, 17 m ago

Like I said, a scratched car is a poor example to compare with a cracked …Like I said, a scratched car is a poor example to compare with a cracked mobile phone BUT, as you're the one making the comparison answer this please ;2 identical cars, same spec, mileage etc, 1 is scratched, 1 is pristine - which one would you rather have (from an owner/sellers perspective)...?

andynicol1 h, 17 m ago

Like I said, a scratched car is a poor example to compare with a cracked …Like I said, a scratched car is a poor example to compare with a cracked mobile phone BUT, as you're the one making the comparison answer this please ;2 identical cars, same spec, mileage etc, 1 is scratched, 1 is pristine - which one would you rather have (from an owner/sellers perspective)...?

andynicol1 h, 17 m ago

Your links were for 2 auctions, 2 identical items that sold for differing amounts.

No-one could answer why that was.

Daily occurrence on eBay with all manner of items and auctions.

Another strange eBay practice is buyers bidding on an auction when there is a 'buy now' listing for same item, and the auction ends higher than the buy now.

Strange indeed, mostly down to buyers not searching properly, timing of auction ending, starting price and even low p&p attracts higher number of bidders.

Hope this (kind of) helps your query.

Any chance you could attempt to answer my questions/scenario put to you...?
Edited by: "andynicol" 3rd Oct 2017

Original Poster

Still seeking a quality iphone seven case that fully covers the sides of the phones with no long open sections.

Looking for one that has holes cut into the appropriate sections ' si that most of the emtal casing is protected.

I have decided to go for the belkin tempered glass screen protector from apple store.

So the case must be able tk accomodate that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants