Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

iPhone 7 WiFi problem

Posted 29th Dec 2019Edited by:"googley2"
My daughters phone had an intermittent wi-fi problem which has now turned into a permanent problem - its cant connect to the wi-fi in the house. Whats strangers is I have reset everything in the phone 3 times but its still not deleting all her photos, apps etc. I know in the wi-fi settings the numbers are wrong and everytime I change them to match my phone it keeps reverting them to rubbish. So cant change wi-fi setting even in manual and cant delete the phone. Does anyone have any idea what else I could try - being a teenager its tough for her without the phone. (Mobile data works fine by the way.)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
I had this problem with my iPhone 8. Have you turned off the router and after a few minutes turn it back on. This solved the problem for me.
Don't "match" the WiFi pass to the characters used by your phone, take the pass from the source device (router?) noting possible common confusion of uppercase letter o that may be zero etc.
nannafish29/12/2019 18:17

I had this problem with my iPhone 8. Have you turned off the router and …I had this problem with my iPhone 8. Have you turned off the router and after a few minutes turn it back on. This solved the problem for me.

A few times, without success. My iphone is on the same router and has no problem nor the laptops.
AndyRoyd29/12/2019 18:18

Don't "match" the WiFi pass to the characters used by your phone, take the …Don't "match" the WiFi pass to the characters used by your phone, take the pass from the source device (router?) noting possible common confusion of uppercase letter o that may be zero etc.

Her phone is linking to my phone and pulling in the password itself so dont think that the problem, sometimes it connects and then quickly disconnects.
Are you using dual band? Apple devices can be affected by a dual band WiFi router. (Some suggestion is to split the 2.4 & 5.0)
googley229/12/2019 18:28

Her phone is linking to my phone and pulling in the password itself so …Her phone is linking to my phone and pulling in the password itself so dont think that the problem, sometimes it connects and then quickly disconnects.

On her phone is there a Wi-Fi symbol at the top or is there a two-chain link symbol which means her phone is connecting to yours via a hotspot instead of Wi-Fi

Also sounds like your not doing a full phone reset if it’s keeping all her photos and apps etc.

first try a full network reset:

SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESET > RESET NETWORK SETTINGS
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 29th Dec 2019
I have this prob all the time lately on the IPhone 7 anywhere I go where there’s wi fi available I never get it to work on my phone whereas other people around me are all fine using wi fi..it’s so annoying
A recent software update has caused some WiFi issues with certain iPhones. Seems that WiFi on the 2.4ghz band is clashing with Bluetooth which works on the same frequency. I’ve found switching Bluetooth off and on can temporarily cure it but the best ‘fix’ for me for now was to select a 5ghz WiFi connection when available. Hopefully another update will fix this as it’s a right pain
I have experienced situations where the phone uses/picks what it thinks is the best connection.
So, if the phone is used to using the wifi connection on another phone within its vicinity it will do that rather than say the house wifi. It's even more of a problem if the phone has multiple previous connections in its memory.
You could try ensuring all other devices are off. Switch router off for as long as you can stand - over 5 mins for certain. Whilst waiting, on the offending phone delete/remove/forget all previous connections related to the problem e.g. the router and other phones/devices often in its vicinity. Switch phone off. Switch back on and ensure all the deleted/removed/forgotten connections are no longer there; if so switch off phone - if not repeat until all gone. Switch on router - nothing else, wait 5 mins and then switch on phone - fingers crossed all should be fine.
Try resetting network settings on the phone, sign out of icloud on the handset. Turn Keychain off and then try connecting to the network again
Bluefusion29/12/2019 19:07

On her phone is there a Wi-Fi symbol at the top or is there a two-chain …On her phone is there a Wi-Fi symbol at the top or is there a two-chain link symbol which means her phone is connecting to yours via a hotspot instead of Wi-FiAlso sounds like your not doing a full phone reset if it’s keeping all her photos and apps etc.first try a full network reset:SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESET > RESET NETWORK SETTINGS

Tried that many times didnt work, have reset a phone before. Found the way around it is that you must sign all apps out first especially from Apple, managed a full reset now and it working again, thanks
I found out she also had a "random" profile on her phone which I deleted.
Then set about deleting all the latest apps she had downloaded.
Backed up the photos to the PC without Icloud
Reset the whole phone and now she is only allowed to download one app per few hours just in case it goes again.

Thanks to everyone for the tips they did help get it sorted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions