iphone battery health

Posted 18th Sep
Replaced my daughters 6s battery last Oct18 - it is down to 90% which I think was about the stage I replcaed at last time - but the original battery was 3 years old by then!

Anyone tell me:
1) What warranty do apple give on the replacement battery - it is under 12 months old
2) Does 90% show a problem - I saw on apple website that the batteries are designed to retain 80% after 500 full charges

3) It is alos showing irattic behaviour last week or so - dropping from 35% to 3% in minutes and then once plugged in jumping to 45% again in less than 10 mins

Any help appreciated
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Was it Apple that changed the battery?
They come with a 3month guarantee.

Is your daughter using an Apple Charger and cable. While unlikely, they could be causing damage to the battery if they aren’t. (Just getting that common excuse in early)

The behaviour does sound like a bad battery. In saying that, it’s now 4 years old, it could have a different fault now.
If anything make sure you do a serial number check and make sure it was never one of the batches that had problems.
There was a battery problem with the 6s I think. Can’t quite remember but a couple years ago they were replacing something due to the error and same erratic behaviour you described.

Edit: think it was this. support.apple.com/en-…own
Edited by: "Patty37" 18th Sep
3 months so unfortunately you need to pay again but dont bother.
My niece replaced hers last year, was free as it's in a bad batch and they said buy new one or offered me a rip off price for a new iphone 6s!
If the battery replacement was done in an Apple store it might be worth going back and asking, they are often willing to sort things out of warrenty.
Yes it was replaced at an apple store under the £29 offer. The original wasnt in a bad batch, i just thought it was worth taking advantage of since the orginal was 3 years old at the time I got it replaced.

I had a feeling it might be 6 months, so if only 3 it is long gone !
mgk18/09/2019 10:41

Yes it was replaced at an apple store under the £29 offer. The original …Yes it was replaced at an apple store under the £29 offer. The original wasnt in a bad batch, i just thought it was worth taking advantage of since the orginal was 3 years old at the time I got it replaced.I had a feeling it might be 6 months, so if only 3 it is long gone !

I got my iPhone 7 battery a year ago for the £29 and its also down to 90% health
jon81uk18/09/2019 10:59

I got my iPhone 7 battery a year ago for the £29 and its also down to 90% …I got my iPhone 7 battery a year ago for the £29 and its also down to 90% health

I done the same and my 7 is now at 91% I was surprised how quick it’s went!
90% is not that bad, 3 year old battery being 90% seems unlikely, im not familiar with apples setting for this but maybe download an external app to test the health.
WorKev18/09/2019 11:56

I done the same and my 7 is now at 91% I was surprised how quick it’s went!

It's worth being aware that the initial damage to a battery is quick but slows down and stabilises over time. Charging to 80% helps to prolong the life of it also.
kwl14718/09/2019 14:26

It's worth being aware that the initial damage to a battery is quick but …It's worth being aware that the initial damage to a battery is quick but slows down and stabilises over time. Charging to 80% helps to prolong the life of it also.

Is it better not to let the phone drain to low and small charges are better?
WorKev18/09/2019 14:28

Is it better not to let the phone drain to low and small charges are …Is it better not to let the phone drain to low and small charges are better?

If we're looking to get anal about things then not going below 40% or higher than 80% would probably be the best case scenario according to accubattery.

However this is unrealistic in the real world and one has to accept that battery degradation comes with the territory. 80% is pretty good as a flat line.
I had mine done a year ago and it’s down to 90%. They were only replaced if it was on 80% or a certain number of charges. Looks like it’s got another year yet, don’t forget apps are getting more demanding so pushing the processor more using slightly more power than when the phone was new.
cmdr_elito18/09/2019 15:00

I had mine done a year ago and it’s down to 90%. They were only replaced i …I had mine done a year ago and it’s down to 90%. They were only replaced if it was on 80% or a certain number of charges. Looks like it’s got another year yet, don’t forget apps are getting more demanding so pushing the processor more using slightly more power than when the phone was new.

90% isn't bad per say. That is assuming you charge up to 100% and therefore subject the battery to maximum degradation effects.

I would imagine that with the latest processors like A11 onwards, over the course of their life time and with updates, this potential impact of apps pushing the processor harder and thus cause more potential damage to the battery is not going to be the case.

Games alone aren't able to use and push the processor and GPU developments|advances and capabilities right now. Software even less so. The real reason to get the latest A chip is for the features it brings like the U1 chip which I'm sure will lead to better GPS|navigation, features like deep fusion and the smart HDR that Apple has made huge gains on.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants