iPhone - best place to buy?

Found 14th Sep 2017
I'm planning on pre-ordering an iPhone 8 plus tomorrow (unless I decide to get the X instead, but thats another discussion) and was wondering if there are any places where you're better off buying it. I've always purchased directly from apple but I'm thinking to maybe purchase from John Lewis for the 2 year guarantee, or possibly tesco direct as I believe they have a money off certain spend offer on (although I'm unsure if this will be valid). Any tips or opinions will be appreciated.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments
I'm definitely following this thread
Doesn't the retailer you buy it from dictate what if any network it will be locked to so this should be taken into consideration?
Original Poster
If you buy it from a network like 3, EE etc... generally the device will be locked to their network. If purchased from stores for example Argos, John Lewis, Tesco direct (not tesco mobile) they should be unlocked. I'm with three so if they have an offer or something when purchasing outright I'll be happy to purchase from them but this seems unlikely, so I'm leaning towards a store with a benefit like extended warranty or money off.
I'm waiting until they're more expensive.
I always buy my phone from Apple direct, 2 year warranty isn't worth the paper it's wrote on, you have a consumer law that with little hassle Apple will go along with providing the fault doesn't lie with negligence.
If you're investing in the iPhone 8 plus, you might as well get the X which apparently is much better
Original Poster
Personally, I'm leaning towards the 8 plus over the X as I think theres barely any differences, for the extra £200 and 2 month wait.
Both devices have:
-The same A11 chip
-Almost the same rear camera
-Wireless charging

The only main differences are:
-Screen which I'm not concerned about
-Face ID (I'd rather touch ID)
-Front facing camera
I'll be ordering direct from Apple you know you're in safe hands!
Original Poster
I'll likely order from apple, remembering the struggle I had with my 6s battery. I purchased my 6s from tesco direct with no problems for a while, until the battery started lasting around 1/2 a day.
Took my 14 month old iPhone to apple, they checked it and declared it faulty. They then told me that because it was 2 months out of the 1 year apple warranty, they were not able to do anything (and that the fix was a replacement which would cost around £300). The employee told me that 'Under EU law, the store you ordered it from should cover you for two years, so go ask them to fix it (which will be a replacement) and they will do it for free'.
So as told, I went to tesco and after an hour of explaining the situation to the customer service desk employee, her being told to phone a different tesco department about 5 times, and being on hold, I was told 'if apple can't fix it I don't know how we can, go back to apple' so I gave up and have been carrying a portable charger for near enough a year.
Does anyone know if apple will honour this 'EU 2 year warranty' policy should there be a fault after a year?
DexMorgan1 h, 34 m ago

I'm waiting until they're more expensive.

Same here, this phone is far too cheap. One thing for sure the next model will be more expensive.
31981397-81scB.jpg
Don't buy an 8 , instant buyers remorse as you know you really want an X for a few quid more a month on contract .
You will suffer the shame of bringing the 8 out when anyone who is anyone will be flashing off the X.
Original Poster
It's not really the price that bothers me, I originally planned to get the X. I just think now that its not really worth the extra £200 from the 8 plus for the minor improvements/changes.
Also - I'm buying outright, not a contract.
ojdavies3 h, 18 m ago

It's not really the price that bothers me, I originally planned to get the …It's not really the price that bothers me, I originally planned to get the X. I just think now that its not really worth the extra £200 from the 8 plus for the minor improvements/changes. Also - I'm buying outright, not a contract.

you just don't want to wait. Fanboy
I am thinking the 8 plus just because I don't think I will like face Id . I like Touch ID and think I will miss it .... plus a grand for x that is just crazy lol
That or wait till the x has been out a while and see if reviews of face ID is positive..
Original Poster
I'm set on the 8 plus. Wish me luck for pre-order tomorrow...
31988459-Znhzi.jpg
ojdavies11 h, 56 m ago

I'm set on the 8 plus. Wish me luck for pre-order tomorrow...

just buy 7... nobody will ever notice...

people are so gullible.... tiny spec bump and they just fall for it.
i bet there is nothing wring with your current phone at the moment (maybe the battery which can be replaced for fraction of the price)
ojdavies20 h, 11 m ago

Does anyone know if apple will honour this 'EU 2 year warranty' policy …Does anyone know if apple will honour this 'EU 2 year warranty' policy should there be a fault after a year?

Apple will but only if you buy it from them, buy it else where and you are with the place you bought it from.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants