iPhone Blacklisted advice

Found 4th MayEdited by:"samosa"
Hi all,

I am after some advice and would appreciate suggestions.

I own a 5s which was purchased from Apple by myself at launch. It has sat in a drawer since last October. I have another Sim card which i wanted to use as a backup however i am getting no service.

I've tried the sim card from my current phone in the 5s and also no service (sim was previously in 5s before getting the new iPhone). Long story short using an online service I've found it is blacklisted.

Is there a way i can find out who blacklisted it, unfortuneatly the service only tells me it is blacklisted and nothing more. I want to find who did it so that i can get it unblacklisted?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Community Updates
AskiPhone 5s
27 Comments
Someone switched your phone with a blacklisted one ?
nope, i've compared imei with the sales invoice and they are the same?

As far fetched as this sounds, is it possible someone may have cloned my imei and theirs has blocked resulting in mine being blocked too, is it possible for two imei's to be the same?
samosa13 m ago

nope, i've compared imei with the sales invoice and they are the same?As …nope, i've compared imei with the sales invoice and they are the same?As far fetched as this sounds, is it possible someone may have cloned my imei and theirs has blocked resulting in mine being blocked too, is it possible for two imei's to be the same?

Not on a genuine iPhone, no, cheap Chinese phones often have identical imei numbers.

Could be someone mistyped another number blocking another phone and it accidentally matched your imei. I suppose that can happen?
I sold my old iPhone 5 ages ago as spares/repairs as it was having some battery issues etc.

the buyer tried to scam me as a random website had it listed as blacklisted. I called virgin who provided my phone and they told me that it was not blacklisted one only they could do that and these websites cannot do these seatches. They are scam type things
If you purchased the phone from Apple then try contacting them, but there is a huge chance that it isn’t blacklisted as these websites are insccura
If it is blacklisted (see above, it might not). You're not going to be able to get it removed. Blacklisting can only be removed by the customer that asked for it to be blacklisted in the first place. If anyone could just call up and get it removed there'd be no point in it...
Edited by: "steve1221" 4th May
Silly question, is the time correct on the iPhone? If it has sat in a drawer with a very flat battery then it will not get a signal until the time and date are almost correct.
paul123edwards15 m ago

Silly question, is the time correct on the iPhone? If it has sat in a …Silly question, is the time correct on the iPhone? If it has sat in a drawer with a very flat battery then it will not get a signal until the time and date are almost correct.

Yes, this could be the case, I have had this happen with an Android phone before.
Not possible for two phones to share the same IMEI.
Even if you clone it, the original phone would have to be destroyed.

Phone your company and if you have proof of purchase and so on you should be able to get it sortedI think. Prepare for a lot of hassle though.

It might be someone wanted to blacklist their missing iPhone and gave the wrong IMEI. Just a digit could make a difference.
Anyone in your family that might have thought it was lost and got it blacklisted?

The only reputable website I trust for that sort of thing is Checkmend. If you used a free service it might be a scam.
Edited by: "hearts22" 4th May
Try trading it into Game. If they reject it is blacklisted. If they offer to buy after testing, change your mind and take it back.
Oneday7742 m ago

Try trading it into Game. If they reject it is blacklisted. If they offer …Try trading it into Game. If they reject it is blacklisted. If they offer to buy after testing, change your mind and take it back.

Got to be the stupidest way of checking if a device is blacklisted. What a load of hassle.
Take it into apple and they will have your full details on file if you bought it from them ask the to look into it for you, they may just replace it for you.
Oneday772 h, 18 m ago

Try trading it into Game. If they reject it is blacklisted. If they offer …Try trading it into Game. If they reject it is blacklisted. If they offer to buy after testing, change your mind and take it back.

You can pay like £1.99 on Checkmend... it's not gonna bankrupt anyone.
I baffled as to how it could be blacklisted.

If its been sat in the draw, to all the updates via wifi then try sim card again.
master102 h, 56 m ago

Got to be the stupidest way of checking if a device is blacklisted. What a …Got to be the stupidest way of checking if a device is blacklisted. What a load of hassle.

Hey, I never said it was the brightest idea. That would have been to contact Apple to ask why their directly supplied phone is not working. Especially if suspected of being blocked.
hearts221 h, 20 m ago

You can pay like £1.99 on Checkmend... it's not gonna bankrupt anyone.

Really, people on here grumble over the smallest of costs. I’m only playing the game, unfortunately my inbuilt sarcasm and nonsense box is slightly out of tune today.
Oneday777 h, 12 m ago

Hey, I never said it was the brightest idea. That would have been to …Hey, I never said it was the brightest idea. That would have been to contact Apple to ask why their directly supplied phone is not working. Especially if suspected of being blocked.

Even that wouldnt be the brightest idea, the network block phones not Apple, they wouldnt be able to do anything.
1st stage is to contact point of sale I.e. the operator that sold it. Ask them if it has been blacklisted. If they have blacklisted the phone without permission then threaten them until they sort it out.
master102 h, 11 m ago

Even that wouldnt be the brightest idea, the network block phones not …Even that wouldnt be the brightest idea, the network block phones not Apple, they wouldnt be able to do anything.

Apple was the phone supplier in this case. It isn’t registered to one carrier. The OP mentioned O2. If this is blocked in error, it could be any network that did it.
Apple has the ability to screen the phone for faults and if it’s blocked. So please tell me why that is not a good idea?
Oneday7712 m ago

Apple was the phone supplier in this case. It isn’t registered to one c …Apple was the phone supplier in this case. It isn’t registered to one carrier. The OP mentioned O2. If this is blocked in error, it could be any network that did it. Apple has the ability to screen the phone for faults and if it’s blocked. So please tell me why that is not a good idea?

Because Apple don't have access to the IMEI database. Only the networks can block them.
.MUFC.1 h, 1 m ago

Because Apple don't have access to the IMEI database. Only the networks …Because Apple don't have access to the IMEI database. Only the networks can block them.

Exactly, you would just be wasting time. Even if they confirmed it was blocked and wanted to help, they can't unblock it, only the networks can.
master1016 m ago

Exactly, you would just be wasting time. Even if they confirmed it was …Exactly, you would just be wasting time. Even if they confirmed it was blocked and wanted to help, they can't unblock it, only the networks can.

.MUFC.1 h, 18 m ago

Because Apple don't have access to the IMEI database. Only the networks …Because Apple don't have access to the IMEI database. Only the networks can block them.

Apple must have some access. Otherwise a phone under warranty that has been sold on, then contract cancel blocked. Could be taken into store and swapped out.
Regardless, the OP should go to the original retailer, in this Case Apple and enquire about the status of the phone.
After all if it isn't blocked, it is faulty.
Oneday7713 m ago

Apple must have some access. Otherwise a phone under warranty that has …Apple must have some access. Otherwise a phone under warranty that has been sold on, then contract cancel blocked. Could be taken into store and swapped out.Regardless, the OP should go to the original retailer, in this Case Apple and enquire about the status of the phone.After all if it isn't blocked, it is faulty.

Obviously they can tell if theyre blocked so wouldnt change them. But they cannot alter the status. Even if its faulty its a four year old phone which they wont be replacing for free. You not been watching watchdog and apples over the top repair prices.
master1032 m ago

Obviously they can tell if theyre blocked so wouldnt change them. But they …Obviously they can tell if theyre blocked so wouldnt change them. But they cannot alter the status. Even if its faulty its a four year old phone which they wont be replacing for free. You not been watching watchdog and apples over the top repair prices.

I never once suggested that Apple remove the block. They would assess the phone at the Genius desk. Then advise sorry blocked or faulty, it’ll cost £x
Oneday7733 m ago

I never once suggested that Apple remove the block. They would assess the …I never once suggested that Apple remove the block. They would assess the phone at the Genius desk. Then advise sorry blocked or faulty, it’ll cost £x

Then whats the point in going to Apple? You can ring any network up and they will tell you if it blacklisted.

Time is money.
paul123edwards4th May

Silly question, is the time correct on the iPhone? If it has sat in a …Silly question, is the time correct on the iPhone? If it has sat in a drawer with a very flat battery then it will not get a signal until the time and date are almost correct.

I thought it was this too, when the phone was switched on the date was 2nd jan however once connected to Wi-fi the date and time corrected itself.
Gone round the house on this one, it seems no-one can tell me whom has blacklisted my phone other than its blacklisted. My network (three) swears it wasn’t that and have provided me an email to confirm this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants