Groups

iphone fell in toilet!

Hi all. My iphone accidentally fell in the toilet

39 Comments

Original Poster

If i leave it to dry out will it be ok. Or will the damage be a lot worse? Has anyone else experienced this. Any suggestions as to wat i can do to sort it out myself. Or is it a lost cause now. Thanks

Some would say it's the best place for it.

Original Poster

jjsm639

Some would say it's the best place for it.

Lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

Assuming it's not an iphone 7?

A mate of mine dropped 6s in a sink and it was ok leaving it out but I've heard others talk about putting it in a bowl of rice

Yes rice helps or get one of the little damp trap things and put it in the balls, any thing to pull out the moisture. And leave it turned off or you can damage the battery I was told
    Be warned tho if you do get it working again don't try to send it off for warranty work as they like to blame everything possible on moisture lol

My daughters iPhone fell in the loo too. We put it in rice for a few days and it works apart from the sound

Just DONT try to turn it on give it time to dry out first

Peg it out on the washing line - with these winds at the moment it'll be as dry as Ghandi's flip flop in a few minutes.

This happened to me last week! My phone fell in the toilet when I was helping my little girl with toilet training! I put mine in rice and planned to leave it but in the morning the alarm went off. I could turn it off but after that the screen stopped working and now it's completely stuffed. So if you can, turn it off and leave it for a few days!

My 6 went thru the wash about two year ago. Switched it off pit in rice for a week and its still working now. Most important thing is switching it off so nothing shorts out

Original Poster

Oh thanks for the replies. Im assuming its turned off. Because when i took it out of the toilet it was off. Wudnt turn on or off??

Original Poster

Have put it in rice now. Hopefully will be ok. How long do i need to leave it in the rice for?

bingbing1

Have put it in rice now. Hopefully will be ok. How long do i need to … Have put it in rice now. Hopefully will be ok. How long do i need to leave it in the rice for?

A few days

My galaxy s4 went into Lake Geneva, shortly followed by me who promptly slipped and got truly soaked. Took back off phone, took battery, sd card and sim out and dried on dashboard initially then in a bag of rice. Still tapping away on it now 12 months later. Shame those Apple and modern Samsung things limit your ability to open up and dry out but there's a good chance it'll be OK.

Who uses there phone on the toilet. Just kidding everyone. Were you playing angry birds and had a rage moment?

Dry it with kitchen roll/towel and put it in rice to dry it.

puddles9999

Who uses there phone on the toilet. Just kidding everyone. Were you … Who uses there phone on the toilet. Just kidding everyone. Were you playing angry birds and had a rage moment?

​It possibly was a wipe instead of a swipe

Original Poster

Dawsy

​It possibly was a wipe instead of a swipe

Lol

bingbing1

Have put it in rice now. Hopefully will be ok. How long do i need to … Have put it in rice now. Hopefully will be ok. How long do i need to leave it in the rice for?

Leave it in the rice, make sure the rice fully coveres it for at least 4 days in a warm area like in the boiler cupboard or near a radiator. Only turn it on AFTER these four days, like others have said that can make it short circuit. I've done this with my daughters Samsung A5 and it worked. Best of luck with it, hope it works

You're better off using silica gel rather than rice to dry the phone. Good luck!

That's why you don't use mobiles in the toilet.

Leave the phone turned off for 4 days. Most likely it will be fine once moisture has evaporated, but if you turn it on too early there's a good chance you'll shift something and break it

If you want to speed up the process use an hairdryer, At a moderate heat and good distance so you don't over heat it.

Also if possible disconnect the battery asap, It's not that difficult to open an iphone up and disconnect the battery but you would need a pentalobe screwdriver though.

Take out insurance. Wait the required number of days. Claim.

The first phone I owned, I dropped it down the toilet and it broke. Since then I still take the phone to the toilet but I make sure it stays far away from the toilet bowl. I am intrigued that the iphone seemed to have survived the plunge in some instances. Must be a pretty robust phone to survive that.

Original Poster

mutley1

The first phone I owned, I dropped it down the toilet and it broke. … The first phone I owned, I dropped it down the toilet and it broke. Since then I still take the phone to the toilet but I make sure it stays far away from the toilet bowl. I am intrigued that the iphone seemed to have survived the plunge in some instances. Must be a pretty robust phone to survive that.

Phone didn't break or anything. Just got water inside it. Therefore have put it in rice. Will see in a few days wat happens. Hopefully good results

Original Poster

shauneco

If you want to speed up the process use an hairdryer, At a moderate heat … If you want to speed up the process use an hairdryer, At a moderate heat and good distance so you don't over heat it.Also if possible disconnect the battery asap, It's not that difficult to open an iphone up and disconnect the battery but you would need a pentalobe screwdriver though.

Very unlikely il be able to open it up. Im relying on the rice!

Oh and that's why you don't buy refurbished ones lol

Agree bout rice and in a warm place.. be careful tho as rice went into the charger hole on my 5s a couple of years ago ... couldn't get it out!! Also make sure u leave it there as long as u can .. I thought mine was ok after day and half .. turned it on , seemed fine i even made a phone call b4 it went bout half hour later. Bought all the tools to open it up to find it was melted inside.. assuming where id turned it on too early!! Good luck

I still don't understand how people manage to actually drop their phones into the loo... Nearby fair enough, but INTO the bowl?! Are you holding it literally on your face? Or are you on the phone to someone - which is actually genuinely disrespectful?

Original Poster

coopern1

Agree bout rice and in a warm place.. be careful tho as rice went into … Agree bout rice and in a warm place.. be careful tho as rice went into the charger hole on my 5s a couple of years ago ... couldn't get it out!! Also make sure u leave it there as long as u can .. I thought mine was ok after day and half .. turned it on , seemed fine i even made a phone call b4 it went bout half hour later. Bought all the tools to open it up to find it was melted inside.. assuming where id turned it on too early!! Good luck

Im going to leave it for a week. To be on the safe side.

sergiup

I still don't understand how people manage to actually drop their phones … I still don't understand how people manage to actually drop their phones into the loo... Nearby fair enough, but INTO the bowl?! Are you holding it literally on your face? Or are you on the phone to someone - which is actually genuinely disrespectful?

Lol i had mine in the bk pocket of my jeans as i pulled them down my phone came outta the pocket straight down the loo!!

In tests, rice is pretty crap for drying a phone out. Various things were tried and a quick list here, with moisture absorbed.

Just Google it. And based on the results below, cat litter is probably the best/easiest to find combo.

Silica gel - 6.1 mL lost
    Cat litter - 5.5 mL lost
    Instant couscous - 5.0 mL lost
    Instant rice - 5.0 mL lost
    Instant oatmeal - 5.0 mL lost
    Uncooked white rice - 4.0 mL lost
    Sealed-container sponge - 0.7 mL lost

Lots of people drop them in the toilet, really common insurance claim!

One of my kids went swimming with theres and I tried all the above with no luck. Phone got left on top of the hot water tank for about 6 months, got found by accident and magically came back to life! Still going strong. i think the key is not to switch it on too soon. Random bits get fried.

should have flushed it!!

Before or after or during the deed X)

Pretty sure it should of survive this as most modern iphones I've seen on youtube survive quiet a while submerged. Large bag of silca gel in a plastic bag in an airing cupboard should work best.

kester76

Pretty sure it should of survive this as most modern iphones I've seen on … Pretty sure it should of survive this as most modern iphones I've seen on youtube survive quiet a while submerged. Large bag of silca gel in a plastic bag in an airing cupboard should work best.

^^^^ This

Large bag of silica gel in a plastic bag in an airing cupboard should work best,. Leave for a couple of days at least.

ibblackberry1

In tests, rice is pretty crap for drying a phone out. Various things … In tests, rice is pretty crap for drying a phone out. Various things were tried and a quick list here, with moisture absorbed.Just Google it. And based on the results below, cat litter is probably the best/easiest to find combo.Silica gel - 6.1 mL lostCat litter - 5.5 mL lostInstant couscous - 5.0 mL lostInstant rice - 5.0 mL lostInstant oatmeal - 5.0 mL lostUncooked white rice - 4.0 mL lostSealed-container sponge - 0.7 mL lost

​You might as well talk to a wall rather than try telling people rice doesn't work. The majority of cases where people say they've left there's turned off for a few days in rice, would still have worked if they'd left it turned off wrapped in a photo of Justin Bieber. It's the leaving it off that dries it out.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick22

See more discussions