Expired

iPhone gumtree help

Found 1st Nov 2017
Bought a phone via gumtree and paid via PayPal for goods and elder vices so I'm covered by PayPal and have now got a open case. The phone is apparently "unlocked" yet every page sim I've tried in it all I'm getting is "searching" like I say I've tried multiple sims from most carriers and nothing.... My question is I've just noticed the imei on phone is different to imei on SIM card tray. Is that in itself dodgy and sound fishy?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
machomansavage40 m ago

I bought mine via PayPal as he lived in Scotland I I love 490 miles away. …I bought mine via PayPal as he lived in Scotland I I love 490 miles away. In fairness had it next day. But it doesn't work

But I would walk 500 miles & I would walk 500 more... for the ideal phone
26 Comments
You purchase a phone from gumtree and expect it to legit ??
Gumtree is full of scammers , get a dispute opened now as not as described
"both imei on iPhone and SIM card tray is completely different is this dodgy anyway"

That doesn't mean it's dodgy, could be an easy mix up.
Are you posting on the dodgy phone? I ask because you've posted this three times. That aside:

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is.

Why did you buy it from a dodgy guy?

If you are getting a refund what is the problem?

As an aside, you do know you will have to pay for a Paypal tracked return unless you've subscribed to "Paypal returns on us" - google it.
windym24 m ago

Are you posting on the dodgy phone? I ask because you've posted this …Are you posting on the dodgy phone? I ask because you've posted this three times. That aside:I'm not entirely sure what the problem is.Why did you buy it from a dodgy guy?If you are getting a refund what is the problem?As an aside, you do know you will have to pay for a Paypal tracked return unless you've subscribed to "Paypal returns on us" - google it.

No problem on here for advise. Not sarky responses. Didn't know the guy was dodgy but I do now. Because every sim I've tried I'm getting "searching..."
MR112326 m ago

"both imei on iPhone and SIM card tray is completely different is this …"both imei on iPhone and SIM card tray is completely different is this dodgy anyway"That doesn't mean it's dodgy, could be an easy mix up.

Asked because like I say I'm not sure... Just keeps saying searching no matter what sim I try Ee,02 nothing !!! In screen shot it came up sky who play off 02 the ad was up as unlocked iPhone 4s
Bradleigh44 m ago

You purchase a phone from gumtree and expect it to legit ??Gumtree is full …You purchase a phone from gumtree and expect it to legit ??Gumtree is full of scammers , get a dispute opened now as not as described

Thanks Man. Just realised lately most things are far cheaper on gum tree. And you can throw in offers
machomansavage6 m ago

Asked because like I say I'm not sure... Just keeps saying searching no …Asked because like I say I'm not sure... Just keeps saying searching no matter what sim I try Ee,02 nothing !!! In screen shot it came up sky who play off 02 the ad was up as unlocked iPhone 4s

saying searching would be what makes it dodgy. Your taking a risk, good thing you were covered.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 1st Nov 2017
Check the IMEI number
Just put in a sim that works from another phone and see if it works with the network or locks itself.
Hennah3 m ago

Check the IMEI number

Ok thanks what will it say if it is? Also would this explain why "searching..." In place ?
The fact you bought the phone from Gumtree is a red flag, it'll be blocked. Classic scam.

I'd be surprised if it isn't anyway, good luck.
Edited by: "bynouk" 1st Nov 2017
I've just Googled it, and there are a few things you could try, go into airplane mode and toggle,

on and off

and connect to wifi to get network time.

Other things you could try Link here
Edited by: "MR1123" 1st Nov 2017
BTW you could ask the seller what network he was using last on it.
Found this online, hopefully it works for you. Let me know.

How To Fix An iPhone That Says Searching

I’ll walk you through the process of troubleshooting an iPhone that says “Searching…”, and help you fix the problem, if it can be fixed at home. I structure my articles with the simple fixes first, and then we move on to the more complicated fixes if and when they become necessary. If we discover there really is a hardware problem with your iPhone, I’ll explain some good options for getting help from the pros.

1. Turn Your iPhone Off And Back On Again

It’s a simple fix, but turning your iPhone off and back on again has been a tried-and-true method to fix basic iPhone problems since, well, forever. The technical reasons why turning your iPhone off and back on can help aren’t necessary to understand.

Suffice to say that a lot of little programs that you don’t see run constantly in the background of your iPhone that do everything from controlling the clock to (you guessed it) connecting to cell towers. Turning off your iPhone shuts down all these little programs and forces them to start up fresh. Sometimes that’s all it takes to fix problems with iPhones.

To turn off your iPhone, press and hold the power button until “slide to power off” appears on the screen. Swipe the icon across the screen with your finger and wait for your iPhone to shut down. An iPhone can take up to 20 seconds to shut down completely. To turn your iPhone back on, hold down the power button until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
IMEI will not solve the searching issue, but it will tell you if it’s a genuine Apple product or a cheap Chinese version.
MR112310 m ago

BTW you could ask the seller what network he was using last on it.

Sky mobile who piggy of Telefonica 02
Thank you so much for all the input guys. The imei on phone also doesn't match imei on SIM card tray. This guy has completely messed me however i paid via PayPal and paid and goods and services so apparently I have buyers protections
MR112317 m ago

I've just Googled it, and there are a few things you could try, go into …I've just Googled it, and there are a few things you could try, go into airplane mode and toggle,on and offand connect to wifi to get network time.Other things you could try Link here

Thanks mate. Sorry forgot to mention I've done settings general reset erase all the networks settings options a few times
bynouk56 m ago

The fact you bought the phone from Gumtree is a red flag, it'll be …The fact you bought the phone from Gumtree is a red flag, it'll be blocked. Classic scam.I'd be surprised if it isn't anyway, good luck.

I've bought 2 mobiles from Gumtree and both have been A1. Always take time to test the device out and make calls with it before you hand over anything. Last one had a fault and the seller helped me do an exchange too.
greycounciller28 m ago

I've bought 2 mobiles from Gumtree and both have been A1. Always take time …I've bought 2 mobiles from Gumtree and both have been A1. Always take time to test the device out and make calls with it before you hand over anything. Last one had a fault and the seller helped me do an exchange too.

I bought mine via PayPal as he lived in Scotland I I love 490 miles away. In fairness had it next day. But it doesn't work
machomansavage40 m ago

I bought mine via PayPal as he lived in Scotland I I love 490 miles away. …I bought mine via PayPal as he lived in Scotland I I love 490 miles away. In fairness had it next day. But it doesn't work

But I would walk 500 miles & I would walk 500 more... for the ideal phone
Yes.
Oh dear. Sounds like you been stitched.
I didn't realise these sort of services were available on Gumtree

"paid via PayPal for goods and elder vices" - is that some type of oap fetish?
ipswich782 h, 26 m ago

I didn't realise these sort of services were available on Gumtree I didn't realise these sort of services were available on Gumtree "paid via PayPal for goods and elder vices" - is that some type of oap fetish?

Lmao! Sorry typo "goods and services" even prostitutes are available... Didn't u know?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants