Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

IPhone Help

Posted 9th May
I bought a iPhone from eBay seller. The item shows as signed and delivered by Royal Mail. I didn't sign for it. The phone was outside my door and I didn't even know about it. I got a notification from royal mail telling me it's been delivered and I opened my front door to find the phone. Now the seller is messaging me and telling me he wants the phone back as it's his sisters and they need it back now. The seller also told me I have to pay for postage and send the phone without going through eBay and they will give me a cheque as refund and not PayPal which is the payment I used for this transaction. He gave me a option if I don't send the phone back he will block the phone and keep my money. What shall I do now I know it will get blocked but is there any way I can change the tracking so they don't track the phone and won't know where it is.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Report the seller to eBay and ask them what they recommend.
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 16:51

What if I tell them I didn't get the phone, because it was outside and …What if I tell them I didn't get the phone, because it was outside and anyone could've taken it. That way I can keep the phone and get the money back. But they can track the phone and see it's in my address

So after asking for everyone's help you're now going to go down the fraud route...?

OK, firstly you'd need to tell eBay, PayPal, and the seller that it hasn't arrived. The seller will then need to contact Royal Mail regarding the delivery and put a claim in through them. eBay and PayPal will need to also put a case together as your money should be refunded to you if an item has not been, and can be proved that, it hasn't been delivered. You would them (after weeks, possibly months) have both the phone and the money. However, if that happened then it is EVEN More likely that the seller would get the phone blocked, as far as they're aware it has gone lost in the post/been stolen.

I must say, if you decide to go down this route you have publicly stated on a forum that you're thinking of doing this, and I this would mean two things:

1) you'd be as bad, if not worse than the seller as you'd be committing fraud and would effectively be stealing a phone/money.

2) the forum members are probably less likely to assist you with any problems in the future, because they'd know that you'd ignore them and commit fraud.

It's really sad to see the dishonesty in some people.
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 19:51

Because it was left outside and the seller is asking for it back. It's …Because it was left outside and the seller is asking for it back. It's called having options and backup plan when the first step fails. It's a expensive phone and lots of money is involved and I need to be carefull how I deal with this seller so I'm considering taking a bent route to negotiate with a fraudster

Committing fraud and getting some delivery delivery in trouble is NEVER an option.

Not your first time either.
This is clear Fraud you will never see your money again , send all information to eBay and then insist all dealing are done via eBay . You should also open up a dispute immediately.
59 Comments
This seems very suspicious. Did you ask why the seller wants his phone back?
Appears as a scam to me .

Royal Mail leave recorded items on your step at the moment .

I’d report to E bay and let them advise you

Good luck
As i understand, they cannot block your phone. It needs to have a SIM card inside to do that. They can only blacklist the phone by reporting it as stolen on immobilise website. If it works fine and you want to keep it, just keep it.

Did the listing say Returns accepted or not? If you want to return, you’d open a return on eBay and send back only to address given by ebay using Royal Mail Special Delivery

EDIT: my first paragraph is bull
Edited by: "Sam223" 9th May
This is clear Fraud you will never see your money again , send all information to eBay and then insist all dealing are done via eBay . You should also open up a dispute immediately.
Seller sounds like a kid or a man kid trying to pull a fast one , do not send the phone without geting the refund first or you lose the phone and your money I rather keep a bricked phone then send the seller the phone and the money you paid for it. They going to try to use evry exuse or promise or trick in book to scam you.
Take the sim out and make sure the phone has a full reset. Nothing they can legally do
Edited by: "D3LL80Y" 9th May
T650009/05/2020 14:29

This seems very suspicious. Did you ask why the seller wants his phone …This seems very suspicious. Did you ask why the seller wants his phone back?

He said it's his sisters and they need it back, he gave no reason
As previously mentioned by others get PayPal and eBay involved. Do not speak to the seller on the phone get everything in an email and forward to eBay/PayPal.
Sam22309/05/2020 14:36

As i understand, they cannot block your phone. It needs to have a SIM card …As i understand, they cannot block your phone. It needs to have a SIM card inside to do that. They can only blacklist the phone by reporting it as stolen on immobilise website. If it works fine and you want to keep it, just keep it. Did the listing say Returns accepted or not? If you want to return, you’d open a return on eBay and send back only to address given by ebay using Royal Mail Special Delivery

Incorrect, They can call the network and have the imei blocked so it won't work on any network. Nothing to do with the sim.
Blueskinnedbeast09/05/2020 14:30

I'm thinking of doing this but the phones battery is 100% and it's in great condition. I really want to keep it and don't know why this is happening to me
D3LL80Y09/05/2020 15:02

Take the sim out and make sure the phone has a full reset. Nothing they …Take the sim out and make sure the phone has a full reset. Nothing they can legally do

There isn't any SIM card inside the phone
milkshake2209/05/2020 14:48

Seller sounds like a kid or a man kid trying to pull a fast one , do not …Seller sounds like a kid or a man kid trying to pull a fast one , do not send the phone without geting the refund first or you lose the phone and your money I rather keep a bricked phone then send the seller the phone and the money you paid for it. They going to try to use evry exuse or promise or trick in book to scam you.

Yes I switched the privacy location off and find my iPhone off as well
Sam22309/05/2020 14:36

As i understand, they cannot block your phone. It needs to have a SIM card …As i understand, they cannot block your phone. It needs to have a SIM card inside to do that. They can only blacklist the phone by reporting it as stolen on immobilise website. If it works fine and you want to keep it, just keep it. Did the listing say Returns accepted or not? If you want to return, you’d open a return on eBay and send back only to address given by ebay using Royal Mail Special Delivery

No returns accepted
ajfrenchie20024276309/05/2020 14:35

Appears as a scam to me . Royal Mail leave recorded items on your step at …Appears as a scam to me . Royal Mail leave recorded items on your step at the moment . I’d report to E bay and let them advise you Good luck

The item was signed and I didn't even know it was delivered, this is a very expensive phone and Royal Mail should've ring the buzzer or wait until I got the phone first
100% report this to eBay and PayPal with evidence of the communication. Asking for advice.
The fact they are expecting you to pay postage and will send a cheque shows they are trying to circumvent something.
If they block it PayPal will have to refund you but when? Sounds like it’ll be a not as described claim and you’ll win anyway. Though PayPal may instinct you to send it back. I’d be wary as they might try another fast one at the other end.
Thanks to everyone for your advise. What should be my best resolution to solve this. I feel I should give it back but they might never give my refund. I also want to keep it as it's in great condition and battery usage is 100% so it's too good to give up. I'm confused now.
The only time you should consider sending it back is if it isn't as described or it is blocked etc. etc.. Sounds like they're trying to scam you. Maybe if you opened a not as described case you'd be covered but would have to pay return postage. Although you could claim that back off PayPal. Same again though they may drag there heals etc.. I'd never buy a second hand mobile off a private Ebay seller these days. Just too many scammers etc..
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 15:12

Yes I switched the privacy location off and find my iPhone off as well

They can’t locate your phone via find my iPhone if it has your iCloud settings on.
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 15:11

There isn't any SIM card inside the phone

Ok go to general settings > reset > erase all content and settings.

Then you are set and then report seller for attempting to scam
Edited by: "D3LL80Y" 9th May
Tell them you have the evidence needed to take them to court should it get blocked and you won't hear from them again.
Edited by: "MR1123" 9th May
Oneday7709/05/2020 15:15

100% report this to eBay and PayPal with evidence of the communication. …100% report this to eBay and PayPal with evidence of the communication. Asking for advice. The fact they are expecting you to pay postage and will send a cheque shows they are trying to circumvent something. If they block it PayPal will have to refund you but when? Sounds like it’ll be a not as described claim and you’ll win anyway. Though PayPal may instinct you to send it back. I’d be wary as they might try another fast one at the other end.

Is there any way I can ignore them and not respond to their messages and keep the phone. But I'll always be worried as they can block it in the future. Is there any way I can put a stop to it so they can't track the phone
D3LL80Y09/05/2020 15:18

Ok go to general settings > reset > erase all content and settings.Then …Ok go to general settings > reset > erase all content and settings.Then you are set and then report buyer for attempting to scam

It was switched off when I got it and I started it as new phone and then went through all the steps you would on a new phone
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 15:16

Thanks to everyone for your advise. What should be my best resolution to …Thanks to everyone for your advise. What should be my best resolution to solve this. I feel I should give it back but they might never give my refund. I also want to keep it as it's in great condition and battery usage is 100% so it's too good to give up. I'm confused now.

Read the second reply.
Report to eBay and ask them what you should do.
contact eBay and PayPal. Show them the messages you received and get them to sort out a safe return. Don’t return the phone until you know eBay or PayPal can sort out a refund to you directly via the method you paid. I personally wouldn’t want to risk keeping a phone that somebody would potentially block. They could wait a few weeks and do it. Or a few months. Which will make it more difficult to get a refund than it would be to do right now. Once you have reason to suspect somebody is shady within these situations you are best off to just get your money back safely and buy elsewhere.
Edited by: "chantelle310" 9th May
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 15:18

Is there any way I can ignore them and not respond to their messages and …Is there any way I can ignore them and not respond to their messages and keep the phone. But I'll always be worried as they can block it in the future. Is there any way I can put a stop to it so they can't track the phone

I wouldn’t. A phone can be blocked by the original recipient quite easily. It doesn’t need a sim to be blocked. The carrier blocks the IMEI. Then as soon as that IMEI shows up on any UK network, bang and the signals gone.

Is there any way I can ignore them and not respond to their messages and …Is there any way I can ignore them and not respond to their messages and keep the phone. But I'll always be worried as they can block it in the future. Is there any way I can put a stop to it so they can't track the phone

They can't track it if it's as new with your own icloud on etc.. They could only report it lost or stolen and they could do that anytime. Maybe you could sell it on but that could bite you also. If it's still under warranty you could invent a "Randomly switches off" and Apple may swap your device for another and it'd have a different imei so couldn't get blocked etc..

They won’t be tracking the phone. If they have the IMEI number of the phone (which I’d imagine a scammer does keep note of this) they can just report it stolen and the network will block it. I’d imagine they have had the phone insured at some point and are looking to get a free replacement and also keep your money.
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 15:11

I'm thinking of doing this but the phones battery is 100% and it's in …I'm thinking of doing this but the phones battery is 100% and it's in great condition. I really want to keep it and don't know why this is happening to me

You bought a second hand iPhone on EBay, that’s why.
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 15:19

It was switched off when I got it and I started it as new phone and then …It was switched off when I got it and I started it as new phone and then went through all the steps you would on a new phone

Ok that’s all good then, they will have to buy their sister a new phone(y)
Hey so much good advice given on here , yet you keep on saying you want to keep the phone “battery life is great” etc etc etc . If you want to avoid future problems , report to eBay ( dispute) let them guide you and everything will be ok . Keeping the phone may incur problems by the seller blocking the phone leaving you out of pocket and a unless phone .
It's unfortunate that you've found yourself in this situation, but unfortunately some people do try and scam others on eBay.

If I were in your situation, I would do the following:

1) Forward the email from the seller requesting the phone back to eBay, and ask for their assistance/advice.

2) Repond to the seller with a holding email in a polite way. Something like: "Your request for the phone back and to send me a cheque is very strange, and I'd like to do everything through eBay. I have forwarded your original message onto eBay for their assistance, and will reply to you with what they suggest.

3) Wait for a response from eBay, and DO NOT respond to any further emails from the seller. Once eBay respond, follow their guidance to the letter.

It might be that you do have to send the phone back in the end, even though I know you want to keep it, but it will cause you too much stress and hassle in the long run, which just won't be worth it.
NTscott2209/05/2020 15:57

Hey so much good advice given on here , yet you keep on saying you want to …Hey so much good advice given on here , yet you keep on saying you want to keep the phone “battery life is great” etc etc etc . If you want to avoid future problems , report to eBay ( dispute) let them guide you and everything will be ok . Keeping the phone may incur problems by the seller blocking the phone leaving you out of pocket and a unless phone .

I never bought a second hand phone before in this condition and the battery was never 100% so that's why I'm happy to keep the phone. I appreciate all the advice and I'm thankful to everyone.
fade2black309/05/2020 15:58

It's unfortunate that you've found yourself in this situation, but …It's unfortunate that you've found yourself in this situation, but unfortunately some people do try and scam others on eBay.If I were in your situation, I would do the following:1) Forward the email from the seller requesting the phone back to eBay, and ask for their assistance/advice.2) Repond to the seller with a holding email in a polite way. Something like: "Your request for the phone back and to send me a cheque is very strange, and I'd like to do everything through eBay. I have forwarded your original message onto eBay for their assistance, and will reply to you with what they suggest.3) Wait for a response from eBay, and DO NOT respond to any further emails from the seller. Once eBay respond, follow their guidance to the letter.It might be that you do have to send the phone back in the end, even though I know you want to keep it, but it will cause you too much stress and hassle in the long run, which just won't be worth it.

Thanks
pinkleponkle09/05/2020 15:30

You bought a second hand iPhone on EBay, that’s why.

Is it just me who does it
Keep the phone and wipe it. Then open up a dispute and show the communications, say its blocked. Then keep the phone and get your money back. Then send the seller a message saying “don’t hate the playa, hate the game”
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 16:00

Thanks

No worries. One thing I forgot to say was as they have requested it back (doesn't matter the reason) there is no way that you should have to pay for the returns. I believe eBay will confirm that point too.
Ultimately the “sister” if there even is one, should report this as a theft? The seller would then have to compensate the “sister” with the money they received from you? The downside....they know your address and have the option to block the phone.

This is unlikely to be a scam as there are easier and less risky ways for them to do it (e.g. take the money and just not send the phone). That said, I sincerely doubt you will see your money if you do return it, and TELLING you to pay for return is a complete joke!!

As other have said, use EBay, they can direct you, you need to be protected. Ideally Ebay/PayPal will refund you (not sure about the postage) and job done. If you don’t and you keep the phone, you have to accept the consequences
Edited by: "Timschoice" 9th May
mystogan1209/05/2020 16:33

Keep the phone and wipe it. Then open up a dispute and show the …Keep the phone and wipe it. Then open up a dispute and show the communications, say its blocked. Then keep the phone and get your money back. Then send the seller a message saying “don’t hate the playa, hate the game”

What if I tell them I didn't get the phone, because it was outside and anyone could've taken it. That way I can keep the phone and get the money back. But they can track the phone and see it's in my address
19DembaBa1909/05/2020 16:51

What if I tell them I didn't get the phone, because it was outside and …What if I tell them I didn't get the phone, because it was outside and anyone could've taken it. That way I can keep the phone and get the money back. But they can track the phone and see it's in my address

Have you confirmed with the seller if you hve received it?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Discussions