iPhone i bought on ebay.

Posted 3rd Dec
I bought iPhone 7 on 15th of August from a private seller. First time we put the sim card on it yesterday and it says no service. As I bought the phone for my daughter who is 8 yeas old and she was only watching youtube and playing games.

I couldn't find out why and I did a imei check and found out phone is blacklisted.
Only reason it says phone can be blacklisted it is reported lost or stolen. Or they get contract and don't pay and carrier bans the imei.
Contacted the seller he is saying he didn't report it lost or stolen. He said don't contact me again. Surely he knows what he did.

Contacted eBay and PayPal but not really big help to be honest 180 days cover PayPal says only for when I receive the phone there must be a fault or its different than description on ebay. I told them anybody can sell a brand new phone take imei humber behind the box after 3 4 months report it stolen or lost and get a new one from insurance. And buyer like me end up with bricked phone.

Is there anything I can do to unblacklist the phone?

I'm going to EE SHOP but when I spoke to Apple yesterday guy told me that he doesn't believe they can help me much.

We also bought iPhone xs for my wife through ebay private seller and now we are worried if same thing happens.

What can we do?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
That's why I would never buy a 2nd hand phone from anywhere. Too much criminally minded scum out there looking to scam you.

Good luck with resolving your issue
Report it to the police as fraud.
Send seller LBA(letter before action) for the cost of the phone.
57 Comments
That's why I would never buy a 2nd hand phone from anywhere. Too much criminally minded scum out there looking to scam you.

Good luck with resolving your issue
Report it to the police as fraud.
Send seller LBA(letter before action) for the cost of the phone.
Gollywood03/12/2019 11:35

That's why I would never buy a 2nd hand phone from anywhere. Too much …That's why I would never buy a 2nd hand phone from anywhere. Too much criminally minded scum out there looking to scam you.Good luck with resolving your issue

I don't buy from everyone there as well.

It was brand new sealed phone.

Seller is registered since 2006 and has over 350 feedbacks.

But I got my lesson would never buy from a person.
Treboeth03/12/2019 11:36

Report it to the police as fraud.Send seller LBA(letter before action) for …Report it to the police as fraud.Send seller LBA(letter before action) for the cost of the phone.

Thanks for your advice will check this out.
emrahsener5403/12/2019 11:50

I don't buy from everyone there as well.It was brand new sealed phone. …I don't buy from everyone there as well.It was brand new sealed phone. Seller is registered since 2006 and has over 350 feedbacks.But I got my lesson would never buy from a person.

I didn't realise it was a new phone. But clearly he's scammed you by tempting you with a too good to be true price
Gollywood03/12/2019 11:53

I didn't realise it was a new phone. But clearly he's scammed you by …I didn't realise it was a new phone. But clearly he's scammed you by tempting you with a too good to be true price

It was just under normal price to be honest . It wasn’t that too good to be true price. I thought it was locked to EE that’s why it was just under the normal price.
As mentioned above, report to the Police or ActionFraud, but don't expect them to do anything about it given it's value. I was stung for £3k and they couldn't do anything even though I had the guys address and proof.

Your best chance at getting your money back is through Small Claims court against the eBay seller, as indicated in above comments, begin with a LBA (Special Delivery Signed For). More info here: citizensadvice.org.uk/law…im/

Whether the eBay seller is telling the truth or not, they have to refund you the value of the device and they have to recover that debt from whoever they purchased it from.

I don't buy from everyone there as well.It was brand new sealed phone. …I don't buy from everyone there as well.It was brand new sealed phone. Seller is registered since 2006 and has over 350 feedbacks.But I got my lesson would never buy from a person.

In my opinion, a brand new sealed phone from a seller on ebay or any private seller usually gets the old alarm bells ringing. The only way i'd buy that is if They supply a receipt with the IMEI on it. Or they supply the original dispatch invoice from the company they got it from which is clearly displaying the IMEI and their address.

What people do is this.....
1. Buy phone on contract with insurance.
2. Sell phone.
3. Claim its lost or stolen.
4. Receive a brand new phone

So they end up with a brand new phone and the money from the one they sold. Its a known scam that many regular (scum) people do to make extra £££.

You can open a paypal claim within 6 months. So do that ASAP.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 3rd Dec

it could be brand new and sealed but still taken out on a contract at say £30 a month on a credit card or something then they cancel the contract after selling the phone so they sell it and mobile operator blocks it as its unpaid and usually get people who dont live over here to take these out so think you are stuck as there will probably be a lot left to pay and the police will want the phone returned to the rightful owner if reported lost or stolen so you loose out either way.
Maybe he deals with dodgy phones which he gets super cheap. So they have been stolen. (The righful owner has blocked it. And this geezer sells it). Has he sold several phones? The fact that he has asked you not to contact him says alot. If i was you i would go to the police and report it. Or just ask them if they can be of any help.

Personally would NEVER buy a phone from ebay/private seller.
Did you pay via credit card?
J4GG403/12/2019 12:01

In my opinion, a brand new sealed phone from a seller on ebay or any …In my opinion, a brand new sealed phone from a seller on ebay or any private seller usually gets the old alarm bells ringing. The only way i'd buy that is if They supply a receipt with the IMEI on it. Or they supply the original dispatch invoice from the company they got it from which is clearly displaying the IMEI and their address.What people do is this.....1. Buy phone on contract with insurance.2. Sell phone.3. Claim its lost or stolen.4. Receive a brand new phoneSo they end up with a brand new phone and the money from the one they sold. Its a known scam that many regular (scum) people do to make extra £££.You can open a paypal claim within 6 months. So do that ASAP.

I did open the case on PayPal he didn’t respond it yet but they are giving a week to respond if he doesn’t so they will get into action but PayPal girl wasn’t very keen on it.
Tiddly_fiddly03/12/2019 12:05

Maybe he deals with dodgy phones which he gets super cheap. So they have …Maybe he deals with dodgy phones which he gets super cheap. So they have been stolen. (The righful owner has blocked it. And this geezer sells it). Has he sold several phones? The fact that he has asked you not to contact him says alot. If i was you i would go to the police and report it. Or just ask them if they can be of any help.Personally would NEVER buy a phone from ebay/private seller.

He sold many things on eBay I always check if seller is reliable but you never know. Always thinking people same like yourself.
pete199303/12/2019 12:00

As mentioned above, report to the Police or ActionFraud, but don't expect …As mentioned above, report to the Police or ActionFraud, but don't expect them to do anything about it given it's value. I was stung for £3k and they couldn't do anything even though I had the guys address and proof.Your best chance at getting your money back is through Small Claims court against the eBay seller, as indicated in above comments, begin with a LBA (Special Delivery Signed For). More info here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/making-a-small-claim/Whether the eBay seller is telling the truth or not, they have to refund you the value of the device and they have to recover that debt from whoever they purchased it from.

Thanks for your advice I will look into this.
emrahsener5403/12/2019 12:08

He sold many things on eBay I always check if seller is reliable but you …He sold many things on eBay I always check if seller is reliable but you never know. Always thinking people same like yourself.

Ah its a shame! I hope you get it sorted. Scammers can make their ebay account appear to be great sellers etc.
Tiddly_fiddly03/12/2019 12:09

Ah its a shame! I hope you get it sorted. Scammers can make their ebay …Ah its a shame! I hope you get it sorted. Scammers can make their ebay account appear to be great sellers etc.

I know this is a big lesson for me.

Once we bought car from private seller ended up with a tons of problems. Since that day would never buy a car from a private seller. From yesterday I would never buy a phone from a person neither.
emrahsener5403/12/2019 12:11

I know this is a big lesson for me.Once we bought car from private seller …I know this is a big lesson for me.Once we bought car from private seller ended up with a tons of problems. Since that day would never buy a car from a private seller. From yesterday I would never buy a phone from a person neither.

You can't tar every private sale with the same brush. I've sold a few phones on e-bay, all were as I described and the users never had an issue.

I've only ever bought and sold cars privately except my very first car.
No problems came up that I wasn't aware of - you need to check a car thouroughly and if you don't know what to look for then take someone along who does - the AA do car checks for you as well.
Blacklisted phones in UK still used to work in Asia, there was a big market flogging blocked phones abroad . Don't know if its the same situation with iphone - if it is you could find someone willing to swap. Apple won't do anything to help you.
Bigfootpete03/12/2019 12:44

You can't tar every private sale with the same brush. I've sold a few …You can't tar every private sale with the same brush. I've sold a few phones on e-bay, all were as I described and the users never had an issue. I've only ever bought and sold cars privately except my very first car. No problems came up that I wasn't aware of - you need to check a car thouroughly and if you don't know what to look for then take someone along who does - the AA do car checks for you as well.

I know I can't. I have sold many as well but I never ever even thought about these kind of things. There are always good and bad people but scamming people like this is just not right. People are working hard for their money and some a..h... come and get their money and can get away with it. Just been to EE and they are saying that they cant do anything unless the person who reported phone lost or stolen come and say phone is not lost or stolen which is not the case as he doesnt even want to reply my messages on ebay.
jaydeeuk103/12/2019 12:51

Blacklisted phones in UK still used to work in Asia, there was a big …Blacklisted phones in UK still used to work in Asia, there was a big market flogging blocked phones abroad . Don't know if its the same situation with iphone - if it is you could find someone willing to swap. Apple won't do anything to help you.

I don't know about this but phone was locked to EE which will not let you use your phone any other network sim card.
If the phone is locked to ee, then talk to ee and explain - they will be able to tell you what the issue is and why its blacklisted.
I would try Paypal again.

Some time ago i had someone fraudulent transactions on my paypal account, when I first queried with Paypal they said they look to be genuine and will not be refunding me.
I wouldnt let this go and kicked up a fuss, eventually got through to someone whom had another look and could see my account was accessed from places not local to me or location according to past purchases, they refunded me on the spot.
mas9903/12/2019 13:46

If the phone is locked to ee, then talk to ee and explain - they will be …If the phone is locked to ee, then talk to ee and explain - they will be able to tell you what the issue is and why its blacklisted.

I went in to EE shop half an hour ago they are not willing to anything. They said whoever made the purchase of the phone needs to come. Other than nothing they can do they said.
samosa03/12/2019 13:46

I would try Paypal again.Some time ago i had someone fraudulent …I would try Paypal again.Some time ago i had someone fraudulent transactions on my paypal account, when I first queried with Paypal they said they look to be genuine and will not be refunding me.I wouldnt let this go and kicked up a fuss, eventually got through to someone whom had another look and could see my account was accessed from places not local to me or location according to past purchases, they refunded me on the spot.

case is open with paypal. I hope he doesn't bother responding so I can ask Paypal to refund me.
Not much of a consolation but it can still be used to connect to wifi so might have some use for it if you decide not to sell it on etc..
.MUFC.03/12/2019 13:53

Not much of a consolation but it can still be used to connect to wifi so …Not much of a consolation but it can still be used to connect to wifi so might have some use for it if you decide not to sell it on etc..

To be honest only reason we put sim card in it yesterday to download whatsapp so she can video call her grandparents and found out it was blacklisted. She doesnt use it as a phone as I mentioned earlier. But still why would I be conned from someone like this?
We got another phone which my wife uses from ebay and we are worried about it and thats hell a lot of money .
emrahsener5403/12/2019 13:56

To be honest only reason we put sim card in it yesterday to download …To be honest only reason we put sim card in it yesterday to download whatsapp so she can video call her grandparents and found out it was blacklisted. She doesnt use it as a phone as I mentioned earlier. But still why would I be conned from someone like this? We got another phone which my wife uses from ebay and we are worried about it and thats hell a lot of money .

It's always risky second hand, I've bought second hand and been fortunate but after reading some of the horrors like in your case I now avoid it, I hope lightning doesn't strike twice. Most sellers are honest, Just the few that spoil it etc.. . I now only buy second hand from places like MusicMagpie/Cex etc.. that way you're covered for 12 months at least.
.MUFC.03/12/2019 14:05

It's always risky second hand, I've bought second hand and been fortunate …It's always risky second hand, I've bought second hand and been fortunate but after reading some of the horrors like in your case I now avoid it, I hope lightning doesn't strike twice. Most sellers are honest, Just the few that spoil it etc.. . I now only buy second hand from places like MusicMagpie/Cex etc.. that way you're covered for 12 months at least.

I know paying extra a bit and make yourself in safer side is better.

When thinking saving £100 extra might end up losing hundreds of pounds.
Very rarely use ebay any more because of exactly the type of issue you're describing.
I use to sell my bikes on there and was pretty successful until I started getting claims about bikes 'arriving damaged' etc and the full amount of the sale being claimed back through paypal.
Also buying goods that never arrived.
Guess there are dodgy buyers and sellers.
Hope you have success with your claim, I'm surprised paypal don't seem helpful as they always seem to side with the buyer.
cycleman03/12/2019 14:50

Very rarely use ebay any more because of exactly the type of issue you're …Very rarely use ebay any more because of exactly the type of issue you're describing.I use to sell my bikes on there and was pretty successful until I started getting claims about bikes 'arriving damaged' etc and the full amount of the sale being claimed back through paypal.Also buying goods that never arrived.Guess there are dodgy buyers and sellers.Hope you have success with your claim, I'm surprised paypal don't seem helpful as they always seem to side with the buyer.

Girl on the phone was really b. chy to be honest. They can easily track these people as they got their bank details etc. They can get checked if they raised a claim about lost/stolen phone. They don't wanna bother sometimes but I won't let it go easily for sure.
I want to sell a phone on but worry about being scammed as a seller .. feel you are putting yourself at risk either way
when you get refunded be sure to put his eBay Id onhere
emrahsener5403/12/2019 13:50

case is open with paypal. I hope he doesn't bother responding so I can ask …case is open with paypal. I hope he doesn't bother responding so I can ask Paypal to refund me.

This should be straightforward if PayPal protection is credible. Did the original listing make any claim about "locked to network xx" or any other reference to cellular connectivity / functionality? If it did, your simple claim to PayPal is "not as described" as you indicate the phone does not work on "network xx" or does not conform to whatever connectivity / functionality was stated in the listing. No requirement to mention blacklisted / suggest stolen. Do not forget that PayPal does not offer a warranty, so you claim is simply (presumably) "not as described" or whatever similar phrase PP recognises.
AndyRoyd03/12/2019 15:41

This should be straightforward if PayPal protection is credible. Did the …This should be straightforward if PayPal protection is credible. Did the original listing make any claim about "locked to network xx" or any other reference to cellular connectivity / functionality? If it did, your simple claim to PayPal is "not as described" as you indicate the phone does not work on "network xx" or does not conform to whatever connectivity / functionality was stated in the listing. No requirement to mention blacklisted / suggest stolen. Do not forget that PayPal does not offer a warranty, so you claim is simply (presumably) "not as described" or whatever similar phrase PP recognises.

phone was listed as Apple iPhone 7 (MN912B/A) 32GB (EE) GSM Smartphone - Rose Gold

Date reported: 2 December 2019

Your notes: Item has been noted as blacklisted/robbed phone is now not working.

this is how paypal opened my case and noted.
JumpMan198003/12/2019 15:24

I want to sell a phone on but worry about being scammed as a seller .. …I want to sell a phone on but worry about being scammed as a seller .. feel you are putting yourself at risk either way

if you can sell it to family or friends or trade in but trade in are really rubbish value.
emrahsener5403/12/2019 15:48

phone was listed as Apple iPhone 7 (MN912B/A) 32GB (EE) GSM Smartphone - …phone was listed as Apple iPhone 7 (MN912B/A) 32GB (EE) GSM Smartphone - Rose GoldDate reported: 2 December 2019Your notes: Item has been noted as blacklisted/robbed phone is now not working.this is how paypal opened my case and noted.

Did you write the notes or did Paypal?

I'm assuming they rejected the claim as it could be interperated as; the phone did work but has since stopped working, I dont think the buyer protection doubles up as some form of warranty.

The way i'd look at it is to test all aspects of the phone and if they all work, it's considered to be a working phone as described.
If even 1% doesnt function as you would expect of a phone then i would reject the good as not described.
emrahsener5403/12/2019 15:48

phone was listed as Apple iPhone 7 (MN912B/A) 32GB (EE) GSM Smartphone - …phone was listed as Apple iPhone 7 (MN912B/A) 32GB (EE) GSM Smartphone - Rose GoldDate reported: 2 December 2019Your notes: Item has been noted as blacklisted/robbed phone is now not working.this is how paypal opened my case and noted.

"phone is now not working" may cause an inexperienced PP assessor to assume it is a warranty issue and therefore dismiss buyer's claim.
whereas "Phone was stated to function on EE network but does not. Therefore product is not as described" would push PayPal's tickbox buttons.
TBH you may need to look at the entire listing to identify any and all mention of network functionality.
AndyRoyd03/12/2019 16:06

"phone is now not working" may cause an inexperienced PP assessor to …"phone is now not working" may cause an inexperienced PP assessor to assume it is a warranty issue and therefore dismiss buyer's claim.whereas "Phone was stated to function on EE network but does not. Therefore product is not as described" would push PayPal's tickbox buttons.TBH you may need to look at the entire listing to identify any and all mention of network functionality.

it actually says Not as described – claim

which is true phone supposed to work on EE network but its not working. We don't even know if phone was working with EE before as we first time tried with sim card was yesterday. My daughter was using it for videos and games.
samosa03/12/2019 16:05

Did you write the notes or did Paypal?I'm assuming they rejected the claim …Did you write the notes or did Paypal?I'm assuming they rejected the claim as it could be interperated as; the phone did work but has since stopped working, I dont think the buyer protection doubles up as some form of warranty.The way i'd look at it is to test all aspects of the phone and if they all work, it's considered to be a working phone as described.If even 1% doesnt function as you would expect of a phone then i would reject the good as not described.

emrahsener5403/12/2019 16:18

it actually says Not as described – claimwhich is true phone supposed to w …it actually says Not as described – claimwhich is true phone supposed to work on EE network but its not working. We don't even know if phone was working with EE before as we first time tried with sim card was yesterday. My daughter was using it for videos and games.

The descriptive text includes mention of the word "now" in the context of "now not working". This implies the phone was functional on receipt but has developed some sort of fault; this will not qualify for PP protection.
Let's see if PP can cut through the haze of questionable issue wording.
AndyRoyd03/12/2019 16:23

The descriptive text includes mention of the word "now" in the context of …The descriptive text includes mention of the word "now" in the context of "now not working". This implies the phone was functional on receipt but has developed some sort of fault; this will not qualify for PP protection.Let's see if PP can cut through the haze of questionable issue wording.

I don't get it though

People can do this and get away Roth it all the time then.

Buy phone on contract sell it brand new take imei number insure the phone after 3 4 months claim that you lost/stolen it then grab a new phone and buyer ends up with nothing.

It shouldn't be allowed

Obviously it will work while it's not been reported as lost or stolen till company blacklist the device.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants