iPhone or Samsung

Posted 9th Nov
I’m trying to decide on an upgrade, I have had the iPhone 7 since release and looking to get a new phone.
I’m on a sim only deal so would have to buy the phone outright.
iPhone wise it could only be the 8 so I’m not sure whether that would be a big enough upgrade or would the Samsung S9 be better?
I’m happy to use iOS or Android!
Budget is £500 any recommendations would be great, thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
g7 power £110

hotukdeals.com/dea…349
you can paypal me £150 and @MrSwitch £150 and you still have a brilliant phone £90 under budget
Am an iOS man - but now considering android
OnePlus my man! Plenty for your money and Oxygen OS is the business.
I've got an iPhone 6 to watch the UFC app but use my Galaxy s8 as a daily, think I'm going for the s11 next year.
S9 is a good call, really good phone and loss less restricted than the iPhone
Toon_army09/11/2019 22:48

I've got an iPhone 6 to watch the UFC app but use my Galaxy s8 as a daily, …I've got an iPhone 6 to watch the UFC app but use my Galaxy s8 as a daily, think I'm going for the s11 next year.S9 is a good call, really good phone and loss less restricted than the iPhone

I have been tempted by the s9 and have been trying to see if it will be a big upgrade on the iPhone 7
WorKev09/11/2019 22:56

I have been tempted by the s9 and have been trying to see if it will be a …I have been tempted by the s9 and have been trying to see if it will be a big upgrade on the iPhone 7

Still waiting for my payment
I've been an iphone user since 2007 and switched to a Huawei Mate 20 Pro 4 months ago when I needed a new phone but couldn't justify a 1k price tag. Very happy with the purchase.
I went to android once, didn’t like it at all, 4 months into contract sold phone & got another iPhone.
WorKev09/11/2019 22:56

I have been tempted by the s9 and have been trying to see if it will be a …I have been tempted by the s9 and have been trying to see if it will be a big upgrade on the iPhone 7

It will mate, really nippy phones the s9. Check the benchmark test from the s9 to the iphone on Gsmarena normally solid info on there.
You'll always get people who prefer one or the other, my mate wont move from iPhone but think hes slowly cracking haha
Only one phone I'd suggest at that price (£502) the huawei p30 pro from Wowcamera.

You won't get a better phone for camera, and battery life

Or, you could get the G7 Power, and PayPal me and @Treboeth £150 each
hello288310/11/2019 08:41

Comment deleted

I’m not sure what 20% code you’re talking about unless you’re assuming the iPhone is a toy or furniture...

Edit: I have noticed you said when... which could be in a years time. Argos never have their own 20% off tech, so you’re waiting on a 20% site wide code (which could be never). So definitely don’t sell your phone on this assumption.
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 10th Nov
Don't buy the s9 i thought my s8 was better, s9 battery is terrible due to the rubbish power hungry processor.
To be honest you could get a mate 20 pro or p30 pro which are 10x better than s9 and iphone. The other day with 10% off on ebay you could get s10 for £500 id go huawei or wait for ebay discount again and get s10 or iphone x
iPhone v android boils down to which you prefer, Apple is more expensive but better os but if you like android os you’ll get better for your money. I hate using android so stick with iOS, for £500 though you’ll get an iPhone XS which is an excellent phone
JohnnyRoller10/11/2019 09:32

I think you’re wrong... Musicmagpie, yes

Also even when they do 20% it can be max discount of £50 so still only 10%ish off a £500+ phone
Neither.
Xiaomi
toonsquirel10/11/2019 09:31

iPhone v android boils down to which you prefer, Apple is more expensive …iPhone v android boils down to which you prefer, Apple is more expensive but better os but if you like android os you’ll get better for your money. I hate using android so stick with iOS, for £500 though you’ll get an iPhone XS which is an excellent phone

Has the iPhone XS been that cheap before?
WorKev10/11/2019 10:55

Has the iPhone XS been that cheap before?

Yeah there’s been some good deals, you can get one for £539.99 on music magpie now so with some hunting or waiting for a deal somewhere you’ll get one even cheaper. Maybe on Black Friday.
toonsquirel10/11/2019 11:00

Yeah there’s been some good deals, you can get one for £539.99 on music ma …Yeah there’s been some good deals, you can get one for £539.99 on music magpie now so with some hunting or waiting for a deal somewhere you’ll get one even cheaper. Maybe on Black Friday.

That's for second hand though, definitely not new.
paulj4810/11/2019 11:07

That's for second hand though, definitely not new.

True, that new deal of an iPhone 11 new for £590 is excellent and although out of your budget you’ll get the extra £90 selling your current iPhone
hello288310/11/2019 15:24

Comment deleted

Look I know exactly how the codes work and I can tell you with absolute certainty that Argos and Currys are almost never included in a 20% off code. Currys and Argos are only ever included in a “selected category” code (which doesn’t limit sellers) or a site wide code. I am a long existing member who knows exactly what I’m talking about, they will only ever appear when eBay do a site wide code (which are very rare, especially a 20% site wide code). The “selected seller” codes that happen as you say monthly, never include Argos and Currys

Here is a link on here for eBay selected seller deals which you will see do not include Argos or Currys.
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 10th Nov
hello288310/11/2019 15:21

Comment deleted

You didn’t use it to buy the phone from Argos or Currys that’s for sure.
If you want an upgrade at least wait for some more 5g handsets....otherwise in a year or two you’ll be stuck with a 4g phone no one will want to buy.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Nov
I have an iphone 7

Upgraded to iphone 11. Nice camera and like the face id. I used it for a few days and didn't find a huge different in day to day usage from the iphone 7.

I found that the iphone 11 was too big for me, so I gave it to my wife and have stuck with the iphone 7.

I did however get a new battery for my iphone 7 which cost me £30. This has made a HUGE difference to the phone and its battery life.

I have heard that the iphone 8 is very similar to the 7, so not much of an upgrade..

The iphone 7 runs the latest ios. (The latest update stopped supporting the iphone 6 with ios 13 but still supports the 6S. This means that the iphone 7 should recieve ios updates for at least 2 more years).

Personally, I am planning to wait until next September when the new iphones are launched next year and have 5G capabilities.

So it I were you, with a £500 budget, I would spend £30 on a new battery, £10 on a new case and put the remaining £460 away in the bank. If you save a bit more each month over the next year then you will have enough for a new iphone 12 next year.
Edited by: "Helpful567" 10th Nov
hello288310/11/2019 17:03

Comment deleted

You didn’t because that code you posted above didn’t have Argos or Currys included in the promotion. I’m not sure why you can’t just admit you’re wrong...
Helpful56710/11/2019 17:48

I have an iphone 7Upgraded to iphone 11. Nice camera and like the face id. …I have an iphone 7Upgraded to iphone 11. Nice camera and like the face id. I used it for a few days and didn't find a huge different in day to day usage from the iphone 7.I found that the iphone 11 was too big for me, so I gave it to my wife and have stuck with the iphone 7.I did however get a new battery for my iphone 7 which cost me £30. This has made a HUGE difference to the phone and its battery life.I have heard that the iphone 8 is very similar to the 7, so not much of an upgrade..The iphone 7 runs the latest ios. (The latest update stopped supporting the iphone 6 with ios 13 but still supports the 6S. This means that the iphone 7 should recieve ios updates for at least 2 more years).Personally, I am planning to wait until next September when the new iphones are launched next year and have 5G capabilities.So it I were you, with a £500 budget, I would spend £30 on a new battery, £10 on a new case and put the remaining £460 away in the bank. If you save a bit more each month over the next year then you will have enough for a new iphone 12 next year.

Thank you helpful info!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants