Groups

iPhone running down in a few hours?

My wife's got a 3Gs. It used to be fine, she'd listen to her music on the way to and from work, text and a call during the day. No problem.

Then it started to run down really fast. She's be lucky to get a day out of it.
    We were in the Apple store at the weekend and the girl there told her to try updating the firmware (it was on 3. something, I think).
    We did that and now it's running down even faster !!

An hour of music runs it almost flat.

It's still got 3 months on the guarantee, if I take it back to the Apple store (I've made an appointment for Thursday already), are they likely to swap it or send it off for repair?
    And how can I prove in a few minutes that it runs down so fast !!

Any advice ?

8 Comments

coiuld be a long shot but it might be itunes Ping. Escpecially if its running low when playing music Try turning this off

Settings > general > restrictions > Ping > Off

Also turn off anything that you dont use here

Original Poster

Good thought, but it's already off. So is bluetooth, gps and wifi, The screen is set it only half brightness, but it still runs down !

If it was a 'normal phone' I'd take the battery out and do a soft reset, but of course being an iPhone. . .

I had this problem, went to the Apple Genius who did a full reset through itunes which sorted it out.
    They said that unlike the iphone4 you can't do the double click and close down multi-talking so things run in the background and the full reset really did work for my phone.

Original Poster

sickly sweet

I had this problem, went to the Apple Genius who did a full reset through … I had this problem, went to the Apple Genius who did a full reset through itunes which sorted it out.They said that unlike the iphone4 you can't do the double click and close down multi-talking so things run in the background and the full reset really did work for my phone.

We've already tried doing a reset on the phone (clearing everything and starting again), no joy.
    We've let it run down completely and recharged it from there, no joy.
    She doesn't have much in the way of programmes running (that she's bought), she just uses it for music and a phone...

My 3gs is the same, only holds 50% charge at the moment. Gets to around 45% on the battery percentage indicator then it just dies. Don't think you need to prove it, they will most likely just replace it.
    Edited by: "Spriggan" 12th Apr 2011

Original Poster

It still under guarantee, so I'm not thinking of taking a screwdriver to (yet).

So, am I going get the runaround by Apple or will they just change it? It takes half a day to get to the Apple store and back and I don't fancy doing it too many times ??

Can you apple stores just replace the battery on the phone for you if its under warranty ?

Rick

Original Poster

dcx_badass

They'll give you a refurb if they believe you. I've had iPods changed for … They'll give you a refurb if they believe you. I've had iPods changed for not holding a charge with no problems, just arranged it online.

Yeah, its the 'if they believe you' that's worrying me.
    I had a mate with a gen 1 ipod touch that had to go back 3 times before they'd change it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2946
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would918
      3. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers2030
      4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710954

See more discussions