iphone SE locked from Argos?

Found 2nd Mar 2017
Purchased a sim free Iphone SE at xmas for my daughter and its being used on giffgaff. Purchased from Argos.

Have read that iphone locks to first network sim that is inserted.
Have a plusnet sim on way so not been able to try yet but Is this true?

If so how would you go about unlocking since it was not purchased from a network.

Being googling for last hour but my heads now bursting with varying information.

11 Comments

SIM free from argos is unlocked.

contact Apple and explain you bought a SIM free phone but it has locked to a network.

Argos have previously stated that the SIM-free iphones it sells are definitely unlocked and definitely do not lock to first SIM network.

Repeat of previous post from http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/iphones-from-argos-2619365?p=30055958:
Sim free = does not lock to first SIM. From Q&A for "Sim Free Apple iPhone SE 64GB Mobile Phone - Rose Gold" at http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5286908:
"QUESTION: Hi, I have read through the previous questions and there seems to be conflicting information regarding the question whether or not the phone locks to the network of the first SIM inserted. So I would like to ask again DOES it or DOESN'T it lock?
ANSWER: I'm sorry for the confusion. To clarify, this Sim Free Apple iPhone SE 64GB Mobile Phone won't lock to the first SIM put into it. It'll remain unlocked, forever.
I hope this helps!
"

Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Its hard to get to the truth with so much misinformation out there.

AndyRoyd - Thanks for links

Strange, i was talking to lady in car phone warehouse today, and she said 100%, a unlocked sim free iphone is locked to the first sim inserted/activated, the internet and iphone webpage also says this.

Daytrader

Strange, i was talking to lady in car phone warehouse today, and she said … Strange, i was talking to lady in car phone warehouse today, and she said 100%, a unlocked sim free iphone is locked to the first sim inserted/activated, the internet and iphone webpage also says this.

Yes, The ones from Carphone warehouse and it's group of companies do, (Mobiles, E2save etc.).

iphones direct from Apple, John Lewis, Argos, Giffgaff and Three are provided truly sim free and unlocked forever.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 2nd Mar 2017

shauneco

Yes, The ones from Carphone warehouse and it's group of companies do, … Yes, The ones from Carphone warehouse and it's group of companies do, (Mobiles, E2save etc.). iphones direct from Apple, John Lewis, Argos, Giffgaff and Three are provided truly sim free and unlocked forever.

Ah good to know, but can a locked iphone be unlocked like samsung phones in the future with a charge ?
Edited by: "Daytrader" 3rd Mar 2017

Daytrader

Ah good to know, but can a locked iphone be unlocked like samsung phones … Ah good to know, but can a locked iphone be unlocked like samsung phones in the future with a charge ?

No charge of you unlock it with the network you sign up to.

Daytrader

Ah good to know, but can a locked iphone be unlocked like samsung phones … Ah good to know, but can a locked iphone be unlocked like samsung phones in the future with a charge ?

Ones purchased from cpw can be difficult to get the networks to unlock, some will but they're not initially in their inventory. Some suggest putting a three simcard in first because they unlock automatically for free but I'm not 100% that works, you could potentially be stuck with it on three unless you get it unlocked from a third party but that is often very expensive, as much as £150 on some networks if three or other networks refuse.

I think the key is that Carphone Warehouse sell contracts where Argos, JL etc are just stores. It would make no sense for their phones to lock to the first SIM as you are paying upfront with no subsidies. If Carphone Warehouse sold unlocked iPhones then I guess the networks would say that it offered them an unfair advantage. That's the only thing I can think of anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants