iPhone SE or iPhone 6

Found 28th Jun
Looking to upgrade my iPhone 5 that's lasted 7 years or so. Keeping within the Apple platform, but undecided whether to upgrade to the SE or 6.

Any advice?
Community Updates
31 Comments
iPhone 6s rather than an SE (s**t edition).
I went to SE after the 5s. Solid choice.
cmdr_elito32 m ago

6s slightly out of price range unfortunately, hence the SE which I believe is a 6s in a 5 shell!
kaney196725 m ago

I went to SE after the 5s. Solid choice.

That was my initial thought process, but then wondering if the larger screen of the 6 was actually more beneficial!
ajholmes9324 m ago

6s slightly out of price range unfortunately, hence the SE which I believe …6s slightly out of price range unfortunately, hence the SE which I believe is a 6s in a 5 shell!

ajholmes9323 m ago

That was my initial thought process, but then wondering if the larger …That was my initial thought process, but then wondering if the larger screen of the 6 was actually more beneficial!

The iPhone 6 is the obvious choice if budget allows. The iPhone SE is the only choice if budget doesn't allow.
Deffos the SE over the 6 (if 6s is out of budget) The 2GB or RAM makes a huge difference
Saturn23 m ago

The iPhone 6 is the obvious choice if budget allows. The iPhone SE is the …The iPhone 6 is the obvious choice if budget allows. The iPhone SE is the only choice if budget doesn't allow.

The SE has the same spec as the 6s just smaller screen. The 6 is older and only benefit is the larger screen.
master105 m ago

The SE has the same spec as the 6s just smaller screen. The 6 is older and …The SE has the same spec as the 6s just smaller screen. The 6 is older and only benefit is the larger screen.

Exactly - so what benefit does an SE have if budget allows? An SE is OK for simple business use, but a larger screen is preferable.
cmdr_elito1 h, 27 m ago

Why is it a s**t edition. As far as I am aware it is the same as 6s just in the smaller body which some people including myself prefer.
Saturn5 m ago

Exactly - so what benefit does an SE have if budget allows? An SE is OK …Exactly - so what benefit does an SE have if budget allows? An SE is OK for simple business use, but a larger screen is preferable.

If budget allows for 6s, it comes down to preference of size. But over a 6 I would take an SE it's newer and better hardware.
master105 m ago

If budget allows for 6s, it comes down to preference of size. But over a 6 …If budget allows for 6s, it comes down to preference of size. But over a 6 I would take an SE it's newer and better hardware.

I have sent @ajholmes93 details of a brand new/ sealed / full Apple warranty / unlocked iPhone 6 32GB in Grey at £239.99, and a brand new / sealed / full Apple warranty / unlocked iPhone 7 32GB in various colours for £379.99. Not sure what his budget actually is, but hopefully he can make a choice based on his own requirements rather than being limited to a small screen due to budget.
If you buy the SE 16/64gb secondhand it could be up to 2 yrs 3 months old. If you buy the 32/128gb it won't be older than 1 year 3 months.
Skip the 6 and go with the SE. It has mostly the same internals and processor as the 6S however keeps the same form factor as your 5S so should feel familiar.
Saturn18 m ago

I have sent @ajholmes93 details of a brand new/ sealed / full Apple …I have sent @ajholmes93 details of a brand new/ sealed / full Apple warranty / unlocked iPhone 6 32GB in Grey at £239.99, and a brand new / sealed / full Apple warranty / unlocked iPhone 7 32GB in various colours for £379.99. Not sure what his budget actually is, but hopefully he can make a choice based on his own requirements rather than being limited to a small screen due to budget.

But for £240 you can pick up used iphone 7's, albeit not new with warranty but are 2 years newer than a 6 anyway. So that's not a good price.
master102 m ago

But for £240 you can pick up used iphone 7's, albeit not new with warranty …But for £240 you can pick up used iphone 7's, albeit not new with warranty but are 2 years newer than a 6 anyway. So that's not a good price.

Never have, or would, buy a second hand phone for myself or my family. But we are all different.
Lots of helpful responses. Should definitely have included my budget, which is around the £250 mark.

My understanding then is that the SE is better than the 6, but that the 6S wins over the SE. So SE is worth purchasing if on a budget, whereas the 6S is the choice if money is not a factor!
Saturn55 m ago

I have sent @ajholmes93 details of a brand new/ sealed / full Apple …I have sent @ajholmes93 details of a brand new/ sealed / full Apple warranty / unlocked iPhone 6 32GB in Grey at £239.99, and a brand new / sealed / full Apple warranty / unlocked iPhone 7 32GB in various colours for £379.99. Not sure what his budget actually is, but hopefully he can make a choice based on his own requirements rather than being limited to a small screen due to budget.

Very thoughtful, appreciate the PM
The 6 will be 'retired' by Apple sooner than the SE therefore Apps will be supported longer.
Just ditched my SE for a P20 pro, and the change in size has been a revelation. Can't believe i was using such a small screen for so long. I always had trouble typing with my chub fingers (so a larger screen has helped), but the way apps are presented seems to be cleaner and more functional on a larger screen. Can't imagine going back to that size again! So i'd say the option with the larger screen - its just a more enjoyable experience.
Get a Android

You'll get much more with your money, it won't be old either
Edited by: "Norseg" 28th Jun
ajholmes9325 m ago

Lots of helpful responses. Should definitely have included my budget, …Lots of helpful responses. Should definitely have included my budget, which is around the £250 mark. My understanding then is that the SE is better than the 6, but that the 6S wins over the SE. So SE is worth purchasing if on a budget, whereas the 6S is the choice if money is not a factor!

Get a Xiaomi Android phone for around £250

It will be miles better
ajholmes9330 m ago

Lots of helpful responses. Should definitely have included my budget, …Lots of helpful responses. Should definitely have included my budget, which is around the £250 mark. My understanding then is that the SE is better than the 6, but that the 6S wins over the SE. So SE is worth purchasing if on a budget, whereas the 6S is the choice if money is not a factor!

You can get a second hand 6s in mint condition for £250
steve.t1 h, 35 m ago

Why is it a s**t edition. As far as I am aware it is the same as 6s just …Why is it a s**t edition. As far as I am aware it is the same as 6s just in the smaller body which some people including myself prefer.

Because it’s not as good. That’s why, is basically a modern take on a 5c c stands for c**p.
cmdr_elito28th Jun

You can get a second hand 6s in mint condition for £250

do you have a link?
ajholmes931 h, 2 m ago

do you have a link?

Envirophone or music magpie also Apple too (refurbs).
Bring back se sized iPhones the rest r to big for folk that work all the lazy arses can keep the big ones
I love my SE great phone and excellent tarrif
ajholmes936 h, 14 m ago

Not necessarily: in my case size is a factor, so I favour the SE over the 6S as I prefer a phone I can use with one hand and fit in any pocket.

If you prefer larger screen sizes, then yes, go for a refurbished 6S on MusicMagPie or Envirophone.

If you liked the size of the 5, then go for the SE as it will be the same dimensions.

The 6S and the SE have very similar performance, so you won’t notice much difference there. Do try to get a minimum of 32GB of space, preferably more.
Last time I looked at music magpie the other day they were offering 20% off iPhones. I’m too lazy to go and look now though

Edit. Pulled my finger out. Found this one iphone 6S- £299 with 20% off so just under your budget. The iPhone SE is £209 with the discount on top so pretty good value too. Both of those two are rated as very good condition.
Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 28th Jun
6s
SE over 6 every day of the week. I’ve got a 6 and the missus’ SE is better in every respect bar screen size, particularly regarding responsiveness (and the 6 has had the battery replaced)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants