Groups

iPhone - some basic questions

Hi,

I am a little new to electronic gadgets so was looking for some clarifications / advices to some fairly basic questions I had... Want to gift an IPHONE for my brother in India but latest models come 6-9 months later and also cost usually 20-30% more there...so just wanted to check some basics
    a) Can I buy just the IPHONE here in UK without it being SIM tied to either orange, o2 or other service providers?
    b) will an IPHONE bought in UK work in India?
    c) Lastly, like an IPOD where there are diff sizes and types (classic touch etc), are there diff sub models in the IPHONE?
    d) If yes, are there any sites where can I do price comparison for all these models?

I'm sure all these Qs might seem very elementary to a lot of you here but any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance..

4 Comments

a) Yes you can buy sim free but it will cost alot.
    b) Yes you can unlock it it should be able to work.
    c) Yes it comes as 3G - 8gb, 3GS - 16gb & 32gb
    d) Yes there are various price comparison sites google is your friend.

Original Poster

exStudent;7713319

a) Yes you can buy sim free but it will cost alot.b) Yes you can unlock … a) Yes you can buy sim free but it will cost alot.b) Yes you can unlock it it should be able to work.c) Yes it comes as 3G - 8gb, 3GS - 16gb & 32gbd) Yes there are various price comparison sites google is your friend.

Thanks for all your responses... I assume 'unlocking' is legal/above board....

jupe17;7713339

Thanks for all your responses... I assume 'unlocking' is legal/above … Thanks for all your responses... I assume 'unlocking' is legal/above board....

If it's sim free it should generally be unlocked, however the plans in India might not make full use of the features, I think AirTel and Vodafone have iPhone plans in India. However you might be able to pick up a 2nd hand model on these forums or someone who has upgraded to the iPhone and wish not to keep it and they will sell off, then get it unlocked which will remove the network barrier so you can use other sim cards in it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?714
      2. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value610
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767191
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424114478

See more discussions