iPhone users could get £750 from Google over 'illegal' data snooping

Posted 4th Oct
'Google You Owe Us' campaign wins in Court of Appeal.
============================================================
"The claim alleged that Google bypassed privacy settings on Apple iPhone handsets between August 2011 and February 2012 and used data to divide people into categories for advertisers.

Mr Lloyd claims "browser generated information" collected by Google included racial or ethnic origin, physical and mental heath, political affiliations or opinions, sexuality and sexual interests and social class.
========================================================

Google data payout – are you eligible for compensation?

Here's what you need to know...

Consumer champion Richard Lloyd has created a website for people who think they're eligible for compensation from Google.

Those who are eligible are automatically enrolled into the case. Here are the criteria:

1. Were you in England and Wales at any time between June 1, 2011 and February 15, 2012?

2. Did you have an Apple ID?

3. Did you own or have lawful possession of an iPhone?

4. Did you use the Safari browser to access the internet?

5. Did you keep the default browser settings?

6. Did you not opt-out of tracking an collation via Google's 'Ads preference manager'?

7. Were you resident in England and Wales on May 31, 2017?

It is possible to opt out of the case if you want.

If compensation is awarded at a later stage, people will have to prove they were iPhone users between June 1, 2011 and February 15, 2012.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

12 Comments
Bit confusing. You can opt out and you are automatically enrolled.... but you have to prove elegibility. How do you do this and where?
Ringfinger04/10/2019 07:50

Bit confusing. You can opt out and you are automatically enrolled.... but …Bit confusing. You can opt out and you are automatically enrolled.... but you have to prove elegibility. How do you do this and where?

Maybe by showing old contract emails or receipts or bills, if you still have?
Count me in. Fingers crossed
Not quite sure how I could prove something that long ago (and I live in Scotland anyway) - but I know I have a bunch of photos on Google Photos with the metatags saying iPhone 4? Would that be proof for some people?
I am sure If I dig my emails I will find the invoice... but is this legit news?
People with VW's all got £15k compensation as well. Its just a made up story as they try find other revenue streams now ppi is gone. No chance people will ever get this.
dcx_badass04/10/2019 09:05

People with VW's all got £15k compensation as well. Its just a …People with VW's all got £15k compensation as well. Its just a made up story as they try find other revenue streams now ppi is gone. No chance people will ever get this.

I signed this years ago, haven't heard a single thing. I also joined the slater-gordon VW class action ... that was in 2015 and all that's happened is the lawyers argue amongst themselves for 4 years and nothing has happened at all.
gobanana04/10/2019 07:53

Maybe by showing old contract emails or receipts or bills, if you still …Maybe by showing old contract emails or receipts or bills, if you still have?

they haven't won anything, why do you say they have in your OP?
All that has happened is the court of appeal have reversed a previous decision not to allow Lloyd to submit a representative action for damages under the Data Protection Act 1998 (the DPA) on the Defendant out of the jurisdiction.
The video of the decision is here youtube.com/wat…HNY
Where do you get £750 per person from? That would be completely up to a court to decide, and could be nothing, up to an unlimited amount. It would also depend entirely on if they actually win the case in court, which they haven't done, despite your misleading statement.
This will be tied up for years in appeals
Nobody with an iphone deseverves compensation. They chose the inferior platform and even paid more for the privilege!
If anything google should get money for having to use their nasty data
julieallen04/10/2019 23:38

they haven't won anything, why do you say they have in your OP?All that …they haven't won anything, why do you say they have in your OP?All that has happened is the court of appeal have reversed a previous decision not to allow Lloyd to submit a representative action for damages under the Data Protection Act 1998 (the DPA) on the Defendant out of the jurisdiction.The video of the decision is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYtUN48VHNYWhere do you get £750 per person from? That would be completely up to a court to decide, and could be nothing, up to an unlimited amount. It would also depend entirely on if they actually win the case in court, which they haven't done, despite your misleading statement.

Here? youoweus.co.uk/goo…-2/
gobanana06/10/2019 09:56

Here? https://www.youoweus.co.uk/google-owe-us-court-appeal-today-2/

yes that says exactly what I did, they got a previous decision reversed to allow them to submit a case. They haven't won the case, and that doesn't mention anywhere that people will get £750.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants