iPhone X - replace screen or phone?

Posted 9th Sep 2020
Hi - interested in unbiased advice as dropped my phone and it has a 2mm white/green/white vertical line down the middle. iPhone repair guy says new screen - forums imply loose cable. iPhone guy says £130, Apple want £282. iPhone guy says works 9 out of 10 times.

Any ideas for strategy- I am thinking eBay the phone with known fault and buy another when eBay code comes in. Would appreciate any experience you may have had. Thanks!
3540295-fLMyN.jpg

3540295-ht7hu.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Have you tried pushing the ribbon connector back in? Looks like you could do that without taking it apart too much.

ifixit.com/Tea…975
GlitchFace09/09/2020 12:20

Have you tried pushing the ribbon connector back in? Looks like you could …Have you tried pushing the ribbon connector back in? Looks like you could do that without taking it apart too much.https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+X+Teardown/98975#s182809

Thank you - I have had a read and I am not sure I trust myself. Also appears that special tools are required. I will give it some more thought. Appreciate your help - really nice of you!
That is a new screen required, the white/green line means the oled panel underneath the glass is damaged.

£282 is overpriced for the screen from Apple, although if you are under warranty you may want to do it to keep your warranty intact. A reliable repair shop will be able to provide you with an equivalent SOFT OLED replacement screen which is like for like the exact same as apple provides from factory

Im not sure of local pricing for screen repairs where you are, but for example I charge £130 to replace iPhone X screens with an original SOFT OLED display, these cost me a little over £100 to actually purchase from a reliable vendor. There are many other repair shops around here who undercut me doing repairs for around £75 - £90, these repair shops are using either whats called a HARD OLED display or a LCD display which I refuse to use

Under no circumstances would you want a LCD display fitted to the phone, they are inferior quality and can cause big damage to the main board if fitted incorrectly due to the way they are designed, you also want to avoid any shop that trys to sell you a hard oled as these may look like original displays however due to the way they are manufactured they are more rigid and can be damaged from even the slightest knock

Hopefully that gives you a bit more help and something to think about, obviously prices etc will probably be different from where you are

Edit:

Just re-read your original post and see you got a quote for £130, if you do go for that display then I would make sure and query if it is a hard or soft oled display, that's the price i charge but I do it as more of a self employed business/hobby from home with no shop premises/rent to pay etc, a shop would not be able to charge that same price due to the big overheads etc they need to add in, that seems more than likely they are quoting for a cheap hard oled display
Edited by: "Neo1607" 9th Sep
Neo160709/09/2020 12:50

That is a new screen required, the white/green line means the oled panel …That is a new screen required, the white/green line means the oled panel underneath the glass is damaged.£282 is overpriced for the screen from Apple, although if you are under warranty you may want to do it to keep your warranty intact. A reliable repair shop will be able to provide you with an equivalent SOFT OLED replacement screen which is like for like the exact same as apple provides from factoryIm not sure of local pricing for screen repairs where you are, but for example I charge £130 to replace iPhone X screens with an original SOFT OLED display, these cost me a little over £100 to actually purchase from a reliable vendor. There are many other repair shops around here who undercut me doing repairs for around £75 - £90, these repair shops are using either whats called a HARD OLED display or a LCD display which I refuse to useUnder no circumstances would you want a LCD display fitted to the phone, they are inferior quality and can cause big damage to the main board if fitted incorrectly due to the way they are designed, you also want to avoid any shop that trys to sell you a hard oled as these may look like original displays however due to the way they are manufactured they are more rigid and can be damaged from even the slightest knockHopefully that gives you a bit more help and something to think about, obviously prices etc will probably be different from where you areEdit:Just re-read your original post and see you got a quote for £130, if you do go for that display then I would make sure and query if it is a hard or soft oled display, that's the price i charge but I do it as more of a self employed business/hobby from home with no shop premises/rent to pay etc, a shop would not be able to charge that same price due to the big overheads etc they need to add in, that seems more than likely they are quoting for a cheap hard oled display

Wow - that is such a helpful answer on so many levels. Thank you for taking the time to help and then going into so much detail on top. I am very grateful for your diagnosis and will almost certainly try the £130 pound option of the soft OLED screen. This is such a great forum - thanks to you and @GlitchFace and everyone else.
I had a replacement screen on an iPhone XS I had I was quoted the same price and took it, the guy assured me it was OLED guess what it was an OLED look alike but LCD, guy refused just won a small claims battle in court and won last week, total cost given back £650 represented myself.
If you still have warranty I doubt based on the realise of the phone and you have no intentions replacing the phone any time soon pay the higher price.
mustardsenf09/09/2020 12:56

Wow - that is such a helpful answer on so many levels. Thank you for …Wow - that is such a helpful answer on so many levels. Thank you for taking the time to help and then going into so much detail on top. I am very grateful for your diagnosis and will almost certainly try the £130 pound option of the soft OLED screen. This is such a great forum - thanks to you and @GlitchFace and everyone else.

No problem, I've been doing repairs as a side business for over 10 years, I've started to become a bit of a snob towards the quality of my parts compared to a lot of other repair places who put the price of parts over quality to simply make a profit off customers, I tend to go for quality over price then at least I don't have customers coming back with faults and it keeps them happy which gets me return business :-D

I would just make sure and query it if you do go for that option that the repair shop is quoting £130 for a soft oled screen and not a hard oled, as I know around here I charge £130 for them, but repair shops to keep a decent margin for overheads etc are £150+
Neo160709/09/2020 13:00

No problem, I've been doing repairs as a side business for over 10 years, …No problem, I've been doing repairs as a side business for over 10 years, I've started to become a bit of a snob towards the quality of my parts compared to a lot of other repair places who put the price of parts over quality to simply make a profit off customers, I tend to go for quality over price then at least I don't have customers coming back with faults and it keeps them happy which gets me return business :-DI would just make sure and query it if you do go for that option that the repair shop is quoting £130 for a soft oled screen and not a hard oled, as I know around here I charge £130 for them, but repair shops to keep a decent margin for overheads etc are £150+

I just spoke to them and they said £130 was for LCD! They then quoted (after searching) £180 for soft oled. Makes the maths far harder.... but makes your advice all the more valuable!
£130 for a LCD :o, wholesale price of LCD is somewhere around £45 - £49, hard oled is about £75ish, soft oled is around £105,

That is a ridiculous markup for a LCD, even with overheads included
You can buy used, but great condition iPhone X on gumtree for £300. So I would not pay £282 for screen. I would not pay £130 either for low quality screen. Better to buy original screen on ebay and do it yourself. If you cant, let someone else do it but provide the screen.
Sounds like @mustardsenf should arrange to ship the phone to you @Neo1607 for repair
Edited by: "Uridium" 9th Sep
Uridium09/09/2020 13:17

Sounds like @mustardsenf should arrange to ship the phone to you @Neo1607 …Sounds like @mustardsenf should arrange to ship the phone to you @Neo1607 for repair

It has crossed my mind! But the postage risk and length of time to be without phone is an issue.... I will give my options a thought - and return to possibly see if @Neo1607 thinks it could make sense. He certainly deserves all the business he can get!
Check how much you could get by selling the phone as-is online, iPhones are in high demand even for parts, and use the money towards a new iPhone. See if that option works out better for youcompared to sending it off for a repair.
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 9th Sep
Uridium09/09/2020 13:17

Sounds like @mustardsenf should arrange to ship the phone to you @Neo1607 …Sounds like @mustardsenf should arrange to ship the phone to you @Neo1607 for repair

mustardsenf09/09/2020 13:22

It has crossed my mind! But the postage risk and length of time to be …It has crossed my mind! But the postage risk and length of time to be without phone is an issue.... I will give my options a thought - and return to possibly see if @Neo1607 thinks it could make sense. He certainly deserves all the business he can get!

Normally I would say that wouldn't be an issue, but I'm about to move house this weekend and we are temp moving in with my in-laws for a couple of weeks and I've promised the missus I wouldn't do any repairs while we are staying at her parents

Although if you are stuck finding a reliable option we could maybe arrange something haha
Neo160709/09/2020 13:38

Normally I would say that wouldn't be an issue, but I'm about to move …Normally I would say that wouldn't be an issue, but I'm about to move house this weekend and we are temp moving in with my in-laws for a couple of weeks and I've promised the missus I wouldn't do any repairs while we are staying at her parents Although if you are stuck finding a reliable option we could maybe arrange something haha

You da man - good luck with the move (and the couple of weeks!)
Post a comment
@
    Text