iPhone X vs. iPhone 8/8 plus

Found 14th Sep 2017
Do you think the X is worth the extra £200 more than the 8 plus? (and the 2 month wait).

Comparison of devices here:
apple.com/uk/…re/

After reading the comparison, I realised both devices have:
-The same A11 chip
-Almost the same rear camera
-Wireless charging

The only main differences are:
-Screen which I'm not concerned about
-Face ID (I'd rather touch ID)
-Improved front facing camera

I'm almost set on the 8 plus, mainly from being impatient and not wanting to spend the extra £200, but looking for other peoples opinions.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
deleted1597344
Personally I would get the a iPhone 8, the X is not worth it IMO.

I'm a massive Apple fan and have had iPhones since they was released but the same old tactics are getting a bit old now. Faster processor, better camera etc ... who cares, hold on wireless charging *YAWN* this has been around for years with other manufacturers. OK iOS is second to none and makes the phone what it is but come on, why don't Apple add new technology (not stolen from someone else) or use their initiative a bit and make a feature packed phone on par with the Samsung? Apple is lacking so far behind and I'm starting to ask myself why I carry on. Seriously thinking about giving a Samsung phone a test drive.
I completely agree, there hasn't been an original or revolutionary update in years, although I can't see myself straying from apple. Owning an iPhone, iPad pro, MacBook pro and apple watch, switching to samsung would be a big step, and I don't think their new features etc are worth them being so slow, deteriorating quickly etc... (I'm pretty biased as I'm majorly not an android fan and find them incomparable to iPhones). I am due a new phone as I've had my 6s for 2 years now, so just weighing up what the best option is from apple.
deleted159734414th Sep 2017

Personally I would get the a iPhone 8, the X is not worth it IMO. I'm a …Personally I would get the a iPhone 8, the X is not worth it IMO. I'm a massive Apple fan and have had iPhones since they was released but the same old tactics are getting a bit old now. Faster processor, better camera etc ... who cares, hold on wireless charging *YAWN* this has been around for years with other manufacturers. OK iOS is second to none and makes the phone what it is but come on, why don't Apple add new technology (not stolen from someone else) or use their initiative a bit and make a feature packed phone on par with the Samsung? Apple is lacking so far behind and I'm starting to ask myself why I carry on. Seriously thinking about giving a Samsung phone a test drive.

I agree with you on the headline tech being available with other manufacturers. But the techs not stolen and in most instances where it has been bought from a company such as Samsung it's been reworked to offer Apple users the things they like, like screens with true tone etc.

I'm with you on price, I don't believe the phone is worth the premium and I don't fancy being the test subject for facial recognition nor the repair bill for a smashed iPhone screen, but more importantly a damaged OLED screen as a result of the impact/damage.

I'd pull the trigger on an infinity display once it's completely infinity.
After looking at the Samsung s8+ it looks a really premium item and the home button phones look quite old fashioned now . The Apple fanboys won't be able to leave the house unless they have an X and will feel inadequate if they place an 8 on the table . The X will be able to be wirelesscharged with the smugness emitting from its owner.
Edited by: "plodging" 14th Sep 2017
I've got the 6s plus and I honestly don't see a reason to upgrade to the iPhone x or even the 8, if I had to choose would have to be the 8 plus just because the x has features that are not needed especially for the price tag!
I agree, I want to upgrade as I'm having battery issues with my 6s and I want a bigger phone. The upgrade from 8 plus to X just seems unnecessary.
ojdavies1 h, 15 m ago

I completely agree, there hasn't been an original or revolutionary update …I completely agree, there hasn't been an original or revolutionary update in years, although I can't see myself straying from apple. Owning an iPhone, iPad pro, MacBook pro and apple watch, switching to samsung would be a big step, and I don't think their new features etc are worth them being so slow, deteriorating quickly etc... (I'm pretty biased as I'm majorly not an android fan and find them incomparable to iPhones). I am due a new phone as I've had my 6s for 2 years now, so just weighing up what the best option is from apple.

You've really allowed them to grab you by the balls, haven't you?

Change is good. And it's less expensive.
I'm an Apple fan but tbh I am seriously disappointed with X/8, too expensive.
Currently I am using iPhone 6, i will stick with it until it dies.

May consider 6s if i find a good deal.
moob39 m ago

You've really allowed them to grab you by the balls, haven't you?Change is …You've really allowed them to grab you by the balls, haven't you?Change is good. And it's less expensive.

Yeah, I've tried lots of comparable devices and found that the apple versions are just so much more advanced and preferable to use, so I don't mind spending the money on them, but that's just my opinion.
I'm the same, everything in our house is Apple and I'm not changing. I like the way iOS works, I like the way MacOS works and I don't mind paying a bit of a premium for them.

I'm not that fussed about the X, I'll be getting an 8+ though and offloading my 6S. As far as I can see I'm missing out on the ability to send an animated turd and a larger screen. That said, I might well change my mind as I won't be getting either phone until November when I've got a trip to New York with work and can pick one up for the same price in dollars. I suspect it might come down to what they've got available when I wander into an Apple shop. 😃
That sounds like a good idea, I'm going to (attempt to) pre-order an 8 plus tomorrow, I've decided the extra £200 is unnecessary and the ratio of the screen on the plus is much more beneficial than a larger, longer screen on the X.
deleted159734414th Sep 2017

Personally I would get the a iPhone 8, the X is not worth it IMO. I'm a …Personally I would get the a iPhone 8, the X is not worth it IMO. I'm a massive Apple fan and have had iPhones since they was released but the same old tactics are getting a bit old now. Faster processor, better camera etc ... who cares, hold on wireless charging *YAWN* this has been around for years with other manufacturers. OK iOS is second to none and makes the phone what it is but come on, why don't Apple add new technology (not stolen from someone else) or use their initiative a bit and make a feature packed phone on par with the Samsung? Apple is lacking so far behind and I'm starting to ask myself why I carry on. Seriously thinking about giving a Samsung phone a test drive.

I'm exactly the same as you. Had iPhones from the start and find them great. Just for a try I recently bought a galaxy s8 sim free.... sent it back the same day. Beautiful screen and lots of stuff you can do on it but it doesn't work anywhere near like an iPhone for me. It's just small picky things with the Samsung for me, but enough to annoy the hell out of me and return it.

I won't be spending my money on an iPhone x though, far too much. I may not even get the 8. Will have to keep an eye out if there's one at a good price.
My 6s is still as speedy as i need. No point in spending the ££ for the sake of it
I wouldn't waste my money on an iphone. Pay around a grand, then next year you'll want the next model. Rather spend around £200-300 on a sony experia, etc. Then put the money saved towards a holiday etc.
I am also an Apple fan, yes the X is worth the £200 extra, BUT I wouldn't pay the prices of either. I have an IPhone 7 and I can see no reason to change it. I own a lot of Apple products that are very good, get great support, and brilliant customer service, but Apple is now insulting their customers with these prices.
I was thinking of upgrading some of my current Apple gear, but now holding back because if they are going to overprice other products then I will change to non-Apple products.
I believe they are going to price themselves out of the market.
Edited by: "Sambat" 14th Sep 2017
I ordered the 8 this morning, don't like the look of Face ID, happy with the way Touch Id works for Apple pay etc.
ojdavies14th Sep

Yeah, I've tried lots of comparable devices and found that the apple …Yeah, I've tried lots of comparable devices and found that the apple versions are just so much more advanced and preferable to use, so I don't mind spending the money on them, but that's just my opinion.

More advanced, they are not. I respect your opinion but it is wrong

I had Apple products from the early days, went away, then back again but have been away for a while now so I know both sides well. I won't debate Android v Apple but if I was to choose I would go for the 8/8+ over the 10. Not sure I'd be a fan of no fingerprint sensor. I have the S8 and still choose the use that over iris or facial recognition. I don't always unlock my phone when it is in sight of my face.

Just tuppence worth.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants