iPod classic quad microSD mod

Found 18th Jun 2016
Anybody done the mod to replace the HDD with microSD cards?

I have my mod kit on the way but I an still a little confused about capacity/iTunes.

Any advice/information would be appreciated

18 Comments

Any chance of a link to the kit you have bought?

Original Poster

joshp

Any chance of a link to the kit you have bought?

Sure https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/

Google is your friend - LINK - until it stabs you in the back!

Thanks for this post as I'd never heard of these.
With SD cards so cheap you could fit a 1TB of storage for £200 but the limitation is the iTunes Storage limit which is about 50-60K max depending on metadata.
I may go for 4x 128GB cards.

allginger

Sure https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/

Thanks, that's great to see you went with a reliable one.

I think you have your answer above.

Original Poster

I have gone for 2 of the Samsung 128GB on the recent deal.

So if I use an alternative OS is there still a limitation?

Second thoughts mSATA looks the better option although battery times are worse.

allginger

I have gone for 2 of the Samsung 128GB on the recent deal. So if I use an … I have gone for 2 of the Samsung 128GB on the recent deal. So if I use an alternative OS is there still a limitation?

Possibly but not the same one as it is specific to either iTunes or the IPod O/S.
I have 3 classic 160 and might well sell one and upgrade one to 500GB and keep one with the HDD.

Original Poster

Agharta

Google is your friend - LINK - until it stabs you in the back!Thanks for … Google is your friend - LINK - until it stabs you in the back!Thanks for this post as I'd never heard of these.With SD cards so cheap you could fit a 1TB of storage for £200 but the limitation is the iTunes Storage limit which is about 50-60K max depending on metadata.I may go for 4x 128GB cards.

That's what I am a little confused about, why add 512GB if iTunes can not utilise it all?

anyone know if this will work if you have rockbox on 6th gen iPod thanks in advance

allginger

That's what I am a little confused about, why add 512GB if iTunes can not … That's what I am a little confused about, why add 512GB if iTunes can not utilise it all?

My library is 399GB consisting of ~57K songs and my metadata is quite clean so no comments etc. and I can delete album art as don't care about it so I should be fine.

shadey12

anyone know if this will work if you have rockbox on 6th gen iPod thanks … anyone know if this will work if you have rockbox on 6th gen iPod thanks in advance

https://www.iflash.xyz/howto-install-rockbox-on-the-ipod-classics/

Original Poster

Agharta

My library is 399GB consisting of ~57K songs and my metadata is quite … My library is 399GB consisting of ~57K songs and my metadata is quite clean so no comments etc. and I can delete album art as don't care about it so I should be fine.

Understood, why mSATA?

Also let me know if you if you sell one of you classics

allginger

Understood, why mSATA?

That was my first thought but I’ll have to investigate further.

allginger

Also let me know if you if you sell one of you classics

On second thoughts now that these updates have extended their usefulness I think I will keep all 3.

I've got a 128GB SD Card in my 12 year old 3G Classic, works great.

I have ordered the dual SD card version for £28 and two 256GB SD Cards for £64 the pair and will report back when they arrive and I've had a crack at installing it all.
The YouTube video makes it look fairly easy but I looked at the ifixit instructions and they rate it as very difficult. oO
ifixit.com/Gui…564

I need to replace the clickwheel on my 3rd Classic so figured I'd do both at the same time.
I ordered some more plastic spludgers from eBay to help.

Please share how you get on.

Original Poster

Finished mine today, removing the case is not for the faint hearted but the rest is simple.

I have a microSD 256GB iPod classic.

Need to test more but happy ATM

Thanks. What guide did you use for removing the case and what tools did you use?

Original Poster

Agharta

Thanks. What guide did you use for removing the case and what tools did … Thanks. What guide did you use for removing the case and what tools did you use?

Not sure, it was a YouTube video.

I used about 6 thin blades and a few guitar plectrums, still managed to damage the case a little.
Just filling it up now, can't believe how light it is without the HDD.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions