Ipod Touch and Sat Nav Apps

7 replies
Found 7th Apr 2010
has anybody used their Ipod Touch with a Sat Nav app and external GPS receiver.

I have a 2nd Gen Touch with the latest firmware so bluetooth is enabled. i also have a tomtom external bluetooth GPS receiver.

So has anybody with a touch used this successfully and if so what gps receiver are you using and sat nav app

7 Comments

i could be wrong but i think iphones and itouch bluetooth can only be used for headphones and car kits, i don't think they support external gps recievers, i could be wrong though:oops:

I'm pretty certain you can't connect an external GPS to the ipod touch

Banned

Hi Guys,

I have installed TOMTOM latest version with my Ipod Touch (3rd gen) running the latest OS.
I am using the genuine TOMTOM car kit which has a built in speaker and volume control, and inbuilt GPS.

I can say that it runs absolutely flawless. It acquires the GPS fix under a minute (COLD start).
It has never lost the signal and reroutes very quick.

Well Well. How much does it cost for the car kit with built in gps? i know the app is £55. I'm guessing the car kit is pretty pricey. So I would imagine you could get a pretty good stand alone TomTom for a similar price with more functions

sdavi3680;8309943

I'm pretty certain you can't connect an external GPS to the ipod touch

Wrong.

blogofwishes.com/all…ch/

OP, use xgps if you have jailbroken, definately one of the best ones:

watch this video:
youtube.com/wat…ded

Lost Symphonies;8313476

Wrong.]

Yeah, we had already worked that out!

Banned

sdavi3680;8313462

Well Well. How much does it cost for the car kit with built in gps? i … Well Well. How much does it cost for the car kit with built in gps? i know the app is £55. I'm guessing the car kit is pretty pricey. So I would imagine you could get a pretty good stand alone TomTom for a similar price with more functions

Well, the car kit costed me £50 brand new and the app costs £50. Yes I know 50 plus 50 equals 100. And I know for a little more than that you can get a dedicated tomtom but thats not the point. I would rather carry one device instead of two as leaving your tomtom (or anything else valuable for that matter) in your vehicle is a bad idea. I would prefer to have my ipod or iphone to do everything it can so I only need to carry one device around. The other advantage is that after every journey my ipod/iphone remains fully charged - Yes it charges and quite quick too whilst using it as a satnav.

Which more functions are you talking about?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604826
    2. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games44
    3. Wuntu codes give away11
    4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48810992

See more discussions