Groups

Ipod touch help.

Have just bought my daughter an ipod touch as a birthday gift, how can I be sure I have been given the new version (2nd gen i think) , they all look the same to me!

10 Comments

If it's got volume controls on the side, it's 2nd Gen

Original Poster

ChrisUK;3461804

If it's got volume controls on the side, it's 2nd Gen

Is that on the left hand side near the top?

Yep. 1st gen has no volume buttons, it's all done on screen.

On a negative point, you cant jailbreak a 2nd Gen Touch......................yet

the new one has a curved back too.... but the best thing to do is look for the speaker which is at the bottom of it...

check this link out too...
    ]http//su…353

Original Poster

ChrisUK;3461868

Yep. 1st gen has no volume buttons, it's all done on screen.On a negative … Yep. 1st gen has no volume buttons, it's all done on screen.On a negative point, you cant jailbreak a 2nd Gen Touch......................yet

Thanks for your help Chris, you`ve lost me with the jailbreak thing (i`m assuming it`s to modify software) will leave all the techy stuff for my daughter.
    Rep left. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Ambdon;3461922

the new one has a curved back too.... but the best thing to do is look … the new one has a curved back too.... but the best thing to do is look for the speaker which is at the bottom of it...

The one I have has a curved back but I cant see a speaker! :thinking:

Thanks for the link, looks like I definately have a 2nd gen, it`s exactly as shown.
    Left you rep.
    Thanks again all.

cuzzy;3461948

The one I have has a curved back but I cant see a speaker! :thinking:

i'm guessing it's prob hidden - can't check as i haven't got one... but that was some of the stuff i remembered when i googled the other day deciding whether to get the argos deal!

btw - i added the link to apple's page to id which version you have.... hopefully the pics will help!

Jailbreaking basically allows the user to download a selection of "unofficial" third-party apps.... currently only works on the gen 1 touch... it's not exactly legal - and would mean ur touch is not covered by Apple's warranty.

Original Poster

Ambdon;3462003

i'm guessing it's prob hidden - can't check as i haven't got one... but … i'm guessing it's prob hidden - can't check as i haven't got one... but that was some of the stuff i remembered when i googled the other day deciding whether to get the argos deal! :)btw - i added the link to apple's page to id which version you have.... hopefully the pics will help!Jailbreaking basically allows the user to download a selection of "unofficial" third-party apps.... currently only works on the gen 1 touch... it's not exactly legal - and would mean ur touch is not covered by Apple's warranty.

Mabye by the time the warranty has expired jailbreak will be available for the 2nd gen, wouldn`t want to invalidate the warranty.

cuzzy;3462086

Mabye by the time the warranty has expired jailbreak will be available … Mabye by the time the warranty has expired jailbreak will be available for the 2nd gen, wouldn`t want to invalidate the warranty.

lol... the group who did the jailbreak are pretty quick on the ball... so i wouldn't be suprised if there aren't any floating around all ready :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.79
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767348
      3. What would be HELL to you?2637
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927370

See more discussions